• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge 3/4/11 - As decided by Holdfast....

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Inspired by Nature Spring is nearly here! Celebrate by creating an outfit inspired by something from the natural world. If possible, also post an image illustrating your inspiration. Mother Nature often comes up with some vivid and unexpected (yet still harmonious) colour/textural combinations. Your inspiration could be something as grand as a sweeping vista, or as up-close as the colours of a single flower or plant. A couple of photos to perhaps spark the imagination:
naturechallenge.jpg
naturechallenge2.jpg
Have fun!! SpooEdit - If possible, please include the picture of what you are drawing your inspiration from in your post!!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a shame I don't have the floral tie anymore.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
It's a shame I don't have the floral tie anymore.

I would gladly send you one to borrow if you wore it in a challenge.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I would gladly send you one to borrow if you wore it in a challenge.

smile.gif
As pretty as the one I had two decades ago?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, this is basically the "bust out your pastels" Challenge? I guess you could be inspired by a mountain or something in the darker color spectrum.

Spring is here in New Orleans....so I am going to take this opportunity to break out some warm colors. Of course, this probably means a rather uncomfortable day of ridicule at the office.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
So, this is basically the "bust out your pastels" Challenge?
No! Absolutely NOT! I mean, yes, you can wear pastels if you want, but nature has so many more colours and textures than just pastels. You might be inspired by the dark brown shinyness of a cockroach and decide to wear round-toed shell shoes and a brown suit, for instance. Or at the other extreme, you could find the white cragginess of the Himalaya inspiring enough for an icy white/steel grey/blue outfit with an angular sharply-styled suit.
smile.gif
The point is that you find something inspiring in the natural world, and then use that as a basis of creating an outfit. Colours, textures, styles/silhouettes, whatever.
In the end, it's about using nature as a potential source of ideas, in much the same way as we sometimes use celebrities, or fashion collections, or historical figures as sources of inspirations to develop and personalise for ourselves.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast

You might be inspired by the dark brown shinyness of a cockroach and decide to wear round-toed shell shoes and a brown suit, for instance.

Dude, Cockroaches scare the **** out of me. Down here they are the size of your fist and they fly during mating season.

Yeah, not a lazy flight pattern either...but like a Hummingbird on afterburners. And, for some reason they like to hone in on humans...and land on them.

I have an absolute pathological fear of them..and I can't tell you how many times I have practically had a coronary when I discover one is in the shower with me (when they get into your house, they look for water sources). I once shot at least 10 holes in my wall trying to kill one of these spawns of Satan with a BB gun...every time it landed I shot at it. I also crushed one in an unworn pair of Cole-Hahns when I was in College. I threw the shoes away rather than deal with the dead roach inside.

Mike

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celebrate by creating an outfit inspired by something from the natural world. If possible, also post an image illustrating your inspiration.

Mother Nature often comes up with some vivid and unexpected (yet still harmonious) colour/textural combinations. Your inspiration could be something as grand as a sweeping vista, or as up-close as the colours of a single flower or plant.

Great concept, HF.

PTWilliams

Reaction score

PTWilliams

Reaction score
^ I had every expectation of you to actually do this.

Seriously, I was entertaining the idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads