• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you tell an Authentic brand from fake looking at the Label?

Hans Cater

Reaction score
I just want you guys to help me with some tips on telling a fake from an authentic looking at the label, and if it is really possible. Because you have more and more coming out every day and each one tend to ameliorate and try to amend where the other failed an as a result you have more and more fake looking so authentic that the difference is no more that apparent.

So how do you tell which is which?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An intense scrutiny and familiarity of the real thing. Plain and simple. Ive only seen a few fakes in the hundreds of thousands of garments I have handles that made me go "yeah, thats real...wait a sec..." Fakes are usually glaringly obvious if you know the real deal well enough.

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Well even though some fakes just like say " I am fake", just by looking at them, not all fakes are that glaring as you put it. If you think so then you have not yet seen or are yet to see some "real fake" stuff out that that make your head spin.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
An intense scrutiny and familiarity of the real thing. Plain and simple. Ive only seen a few fakes in the hundreds of thousands of garments I have handles that made me go "yeah, thats real...wait a sec..." Fakes are usually glaringly obvious if you know the real deal well enough.
+1

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans Cater
Well even though some fakes just like say " I am fake", just by looking at them, not all fakes are that glaring as you put it. If you think so then you have not yet seen or are yet to see some "real fake" stuff out that that make your head spin.

Trust me. Ive seen most everything. Theres not much I havent seen, brother.

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Trust me. Ive seen most everything. Theres not much I havent seen, brother.

Ok, then i will just take your word for it. But I am saying this because I was in China very recently and it appears almost everything in the shops were real. Of course you had many shops with the real stuff, but you just had a lot more with products branded as real and you needed to have I can say be in a factory that produces the real stuff to be able to tell the real stuffs.

In fact there is a famous saying or joke in China that it is better to buy what is fake at a low price than go after what is real at a skyrocketed price because you might just end up buying the fake at the price of the real.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
buy from reputable retailers.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the label might tell you is the label is real.

If there is a market for high end fakes nothing stops a person from buying piss stained garments to cut out the labels.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans Cater
What is or who is a reputable retailer?

I really wasn't going to contribute on this thread because I didn't see how this question could be satifactorily answered.

However, a few people have commented here, so I will add to their song!

There are many reputable places that you can buy authentic items from, both in phyiscal shops and on the internet.

However, if you are looking for specific advice, it's best that you ask it.

Fakes are getting better, I have little doubt. However, most of the *serious* members on this site are interested in clothing and manufacturers that are not really in the public eye. As result, most of the people who make fakes would not see these manufacturers as a viable prospect.

I would speculate that the "big money" fakes would the be the designers such as Armani, Boss, Prada, D & G, LV, Gucci, etc... and I have seen Ralph Lauren and Zegna fake items.

However, most of the general public would not be interested in the likes of Belvest, Saint Andrews, Brioni*, Kiton*, Caruso, Isaia, to name a few off the top of my head. So the fake makers would have to spend a fair amount of time and money to fake something which the general public aren't really interested in.

So, to cut this short. If you want advice on how to spot fakes, buy a few items in the brand or designer you're interested in, spend time reading some of the many threads on this site then when you're ready to purchase something that you're not sure about, ask here with pictures of the labels and fabric tags. Someone should be able to help you.

To answer your original question (title of the thread). Most times, you CAN tell a fake by looking at the label. However, you need to know what you're looking for.

Clint

* May have heard of them, but would be put off by their prices.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
All the label might tell you is the label is real.

If there is a market for high end fakes nothing stops a person from buying piss stained garments to cut out the labels.

That's actually a fair point. However, my only counter-argument is that it may not be possible to make a lot of money selling fake items by relying on original garments being in the condition you say.

So, you need to know what you're buying and I always advise people (like some of the people on this thread have already done) to already own a few authentic pieces from the brand that you're interested in. That way you have some basis for comparison.

Cheers

Clint

JohnShaft

Reaction score
As much as one may not want to hear it, it really does take getting familiar with better garments.

Things like: Is the machine stitching straight and even? Is there hand work? How does it look? And there are myriad other things for which to look.

In the end, you could still be fooled. My wife sews couture-quality clothing for herself and her friends. I'm certain, given the fabric, time, and a stolen label, she could make a garment that could fool all but the original maker. So, when in doubt, pass it by or be prepared to risk the money.

The only way to avoid any of that is to do as Ter recommends and only use reputable retailers. They are not inexpensive but part of what you are paying for is their honest reputation to deliver the goods.

I get the impression that the OP is akin to people who wish to lose weight quickly and don't like being told that the best diet is the "Eat Less, Move Around More" diet. (I know this because I am sometimes one of those people. lol)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics