• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Eastern Europe

cmrocks

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking about making a trip to Eastern Europe as my next traveling adventure. Haven't really done too much research yet but I have two ideas in mind. For both trips, I'd like to rent a car so I'll have more freedom and I'll also be traveling solo. I'll be able to take 4 weeks for this trip and have a budget of about $7,000. I don't want to make too many stops because I like to spend several days in each place that I visit and travel at a relaxed pace.

One idea would be to see the Balkan countries on the Adriatic. I'd start in Zagreb, work my way down to Dubrovnick then into Montenegro and then end in Sarajevo.

My other idea is to travel through the Ukraine and Romania. For some reason, both of these countries appeal to me. I'd love to see the Soviet history in Ukraine and I would really like to see Transylvania in Romania as well as the Black Sea coast.

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Hey,

I'm thinking about making a trip to Eastern Europe as my next traveling adventure. Haven't really done too much research yet but I have two ideas in mind. For both trips, I'd like to rent a car so I'll have more freedom and I'll also be traveling solo. I'll be able to take 4 weeks for this trip and have a budget of about $7,000. I don't want to make too many stops because I like to spend several days in each place that I visit and travel at a relaxed pace.

One idea would be to see the Balkan countries on the Adriatic. I'd start in Zagreb, work my way down to Dubrovnick then into Montenegro and then end in Sarajevo.

My other idea is to travel through the Ukraine and Romania. For some reason, both of these countries appeal to me. I'd love to see the Soviet history in Ukraine and I would really like to see Transylvania in Romania as well as the Black Sea coast.

i would avoid romania,Transylvania seems okay if you avoid romania itself..horrible horrible country.if going to ukraine make sure you hit minsk,Bulgaria is also very nice surprisingly.
i dont know if its too central for you but if you can hit,Budapest and Poland.
if doing balkans avoid albania (scary)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
both would be great - I'm not sure that I would rent a car for either, though. I'd take a boat down the Danube for the Romania Ukraine trip, or train and car for the Balkans. frankly, in 4 weeks you could probably do both.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
both would be great - I'm not sure that I would rent a car for either, though. I'd take a boat down the Danube for the Romania Ukraine trip, or train and car for the Balkans. frankly, in 4 weeks you could probably do both.

i dont advise taking train in the balkans,lots of robberies.car worse thing that could happen is they steal it,so get a real *************,get the worse looking one on the lot.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Is Eastern Europe really that dangerous? I've spent a lot of time in Colombia and Peru; both in the city centers and very rural areas for work and I've never had a problem with security. I realize that it's a different part of the world but I mention them because they aren't known as overly safe countries. I tend to keep a pretty low profile.

Why do you recommend not renting a car? I've travelled all over Peru in a company truck and all over France in a rental car. I just love the freedom that it offers. I like being able to get into the countryside which isn't so easy when using trains. I sort of like to drive from city to city but really take my time along the way with no real plans. If I see somewhere interesting, I'll stop for a night type of thing.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is Eastern Europe really that dangerous? I've spent a lot of time in Colombia and Peru; both in the city centers and very rural areas for work and I've never had a problem with security. I realize that it's a different part of the world but I mention them because they aren't known as overly safe countries. I tend to keep a pretty low profile.

Why do you recommend not renting a car? I've travelled all over Peru in a company truck and all over France in a rental car. I just love the freedom that it offers. I like being able to get into the countryside which isn't so easy when using trains. I sort of like to drive from city to city but really take my time along the way with no real plans. If I see somewhere interesting, I'll stop for a night type of thing.

no it is not,BUT Romania and Albania are.for the record,im polish.i have traveled by car from paris to the black forest to prague by car with no problems.and yes i can see why you would want to travel by car and i agree with you.i recommend renting,just make sure its nothing glitzy and avoid VW's,they love to steal them for parts,rent a skoda or something.
i have never had a problem with security in eastern europe except when i was robbed at gunpoint in bucharest,mind you it also happend to a freind of mind in budapest.(which i recommend).
at least budapest is beautiful,bucharest is just horrible.
also consider St Petersburg.
eastern Europeans are funny people,you know the stereotypes you see in tough guy films or mafia flicks,thats how it is.they can be very endearing but look at them wrong and **** happens,but i guess that can be said for anywhere.
as long as you use common sense you should be allright,except for Albania and romania,sorry if im offending anyone from there but im only speaking from my personal experience.
i dont wanna discourage you,because you wil have a great time.oh and the food and women!!!!

max b

Reaction score
Budapest and if you include Russia in Western Europe don't miss St. Petersburg, just beautiful !

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
SO TRUE. Avoid Bucharest. Check out Budasex= oops - I mean Budapest. And get some Vass shoes while you're there for Christ's sake. Keep us posted

Originally Posted by frenchy
no it is not,BUT Romania and Albania are.for the record,im polish.i have traveled by car from paris to the black forest to prague by car with no problems.and yes i can see why you would want to travel by car and i agree with you.i recommend renting,just make sure its nothing glitzy and avoid VW's,they love to steal them for parts,rent a skoda or something.
i have never had a problem with security in eastern europe except when i was robbed at gunpoint in bucharest,mind you it also happend to a freind of mind in budapest.(which i recommend).
at least budapest is beautiful,bucharest is just horrible.
also consider St Petersburg.
eastern Europeans are funny people,you know the stereotypes you see in tough guy films or mafia flicks,thats how it is.they can be very endearing but look at them wrong and **** happens,but i guess that can be said for anywhere.
as long as you use common sense you should be allright,except for Albania and romania,sorry if im offending anyone from there but im only speaking from my personal experience.
i dont wanna discourage you,because you wil have a great time.oh and the food and women!!!!

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
The women are really great, that's true.

I am from Poland too by the way. Definitely St. Petersburg is a place worth going to. Cracov is really nice - everybody loves it and it's perfect for a couple of days, there are also interesting things to see outside the city. In Ukraine - Lviv no doubt ( Minsk is nothing special in comparison).

Also Chernobyl is no longer radioactive, my friends visited and they were amazed.

I didn't like Budapest that much, I think it's kind of a depressing city and very few people speak English.

Croatia is definitely worht it, just avoid Dubrovnik and go to a less touristy place.

Also Slovenia is really cool - a beautiful country, with very good food and wine, kind people as well.

Places I mentioned are not really "Eastern Europe", but you might be interested. I've never been to Albania and Romania, so just my two cents.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zagreb is nothing special. i would skip it. definately do split, dubrovnik. then move through montenegro, can go through mostar, then sarajevo. bosnia is beautiful and i loved it. cracov was also amazing if youre going to head to poland.

also eastern is very safe. much safer then any major north american city. i wouldnt worry much.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would hit up sochi. its a gorgeous city surrounded by the black sea on one side and the mountains on the opposite side. You could ski in the morning and swim in the evening. Very unique. I am trying to make it out there before the olympics..

shanker

Reaction score

I cannot recommend Croatia and Montenegro enough. The coasts of Split and Dubrovnik, as well as Herceg Novi and Budva are extremely underrated and offer breathtaking beauty with minimal tourists. The Montenegrian cities will meet the demands of even sophisticated travellers. Dubrovnik is a bit of a tourist trap with loads of cruise ship sheep swarming the walled Old Town on a daily basis. Still worth a vist though, but a day - maybe two are more than enough. Time invested in Split or Montenegro will likely prove more satisfying.

Having spent a good deal of time travelling solo to 27 European countries, including all the countries that border the Federation of Russia and the Black Sea except Moldova, in my experience East and "South"-Eastern Europe offer very little in the way of danger. This assuming you have some basic "street smarts" and dont put yourself in dangerous positions (ie soliciting prostitutes, trying to buy drugs, flashing your wealth, etc.). As a tourist, it is very unlikely you will encounter problems.

I should mention that I travel almost exclusively by train, including overnight journeys. Even the "infamous" Prague-Krakow O/N train offered no problems at all. My worst experience was encountered on an overnight Podgorica-Belgrad train. I was stuck on a car whose occupants delighted in chain smoking.

Romania (a bit dull) and Albania (quite dirty) were my least favorite countries, but I am glad I took the time to vist them. Zagreb was nice, but consider spending a day or two max. as I found you can see the city rather quickly. Bulgaria (Sofia) is a gem with some of the most hospitable and warm people I have come across. Bulgarians will take you into their homes w/o hesitation, treat you very well and offer their opinions on everything.

Sarajevo is historically very interesting, but keep in mind the scars of war are ever present. Bullet holes in walls, decimated buildings and "Roses" are all over the place. I was absolutely mesmerized by history you can touch and "taste", but I have talked to other Americans that were disturbed by it.

My opinion is to see E. Europe as soon as possible as things are changing at an alaming pace. Italy will always be Italy, Paris will always be Paris, but see E. Europe now before it "catches up" (not meant to be derogatory btw) with the West. The history and people are still much different than those in the West, but this will change soon.

As much as I enjoyed places like Belgium, The Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany, I found them very Western. "True" European experiences will be found in places like Bulgaria, The Baltics and the like.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would do Budapest, Prague and Kiev. Krakow also has enough history to warrant a visit.

If you can, go to the Crimea (part of Ukraine). It's beautiful and there are quite a few WWII relics and, of course, Yalta is where the Allies signed the pact to divide Europe.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shanker
My opinion is to see E. Europe as soon as possible as things are changing at an alaming pace. Italy will always be Italy, Paris will always be Paris, but see E. Europe now before it "catches up" (not meant to be derogatory btw) with the West. The history and people are still much different than those in the West, but this will change soon.

This seems to be true, unfortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics