• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What software applications have most helped you?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Word Perfect, Netscape Navigator, Ghost (then Clonezilla), Ultra Edit, Lotus 123.

FTFY.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PC Freeware I like apps that require no installation. Folrep - easiest way to find out which directories are the space hogs. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folrep.zip Copy Path to Clipboard - this might be the best utility of all time. Adds "Copy Path to Clipboard" to context menu (right click). http://www.mlin.net/files/PathCopyEx.msi Fscapture - Indispensable screen capture application. http://www.portablefreeware.com/download.php?id=775 Foobar2000 - the best (IMO) music player. Tabs for playlists. Supports a myriad variety of plugins, including VST, resamplers, compressors/limiters. It's good, it really is. Virtualdub - if you need to do video manipulation (noise reduction, deinterlacing, cutting the file, much more) this app is sublime.

BP348

Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else but I use word much more then anything else. The spell check is a life saver for me.

bigbucky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Dropbox-Without a doubt an awesome program especially if you have multiple devices. I can have access to my documents on all my devices-PC, Mac Book Pro, iPhone and iPad. Evernote-Allows you store notes, pictures, video, etc. Like Dropbox, it also allows you to sync with multiple devices so you always have access to your notes. Both of these are fantastic. Use them or risk becoming obsolete!!!
eh.gif

+1 on both of these. Having everything everywhere you go is an indescribable feeling. Also: Read it Later LastPass Picassa with online photo editing
bounce2.gif
Now back to your regularly scheduled spam break

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
OpenOffice - Calc: spreadsheet for trading options
OpenOffice - Writer: document editor for writing white papers and engineering reports

GNU/Octave (Similar to Matlab): Digital filter design/mathematical modeling

Projity OpenProject (bought out by Serena Software): scheduling projects

BaggyJeans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rekushi
Wolfram Alpha

+1 (especially the mobile app for the iphone)

That app has saved ****** so many times in my calculus class.

Thunderbird is my favorite email client for managing multiple accounts.
Notepad++ has also helped with many projects.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Word Perfect, Netscape Navigator, Ghost (then Clonezilla), Ultra Edit, Lotus 123.

FTFY.

Naw!!! Ventura Publisher.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Sun VirtualBox is a pretty solid free alternative to VMWare Workstation.
  • MS Office Groove (part of Office 2007) is turning out to be a decent alternative to the now-discontinued MS Live Sync.
  • UltraVNC for quick and dirty remote access.

FLuX43

Reaction score
I'm going to have to say
-darik's boot and nuke

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LibreOffice Writer and Calc, Evince PDF viewer, Chromium, Google Calendar, Gmail, Transmission, Skype, QQ, VLC, Banshee and MobileMe.

christinedaae

Reaction score
If they took away Microsoft excel I would just put a bullet in my head. I can't live without it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads