• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renton

Reaction score
Trying to find the right sizing in the Barrie and Trubalance last has been driving me crazy.

It seems like every other day I'm losing 7 more dollars on returns to Shoe Mart.

First I went with an 11E indy and it was too long.
Then I decided to cut to the chase and get 10.5 E, 10.5 EE, and 10.5 EEE to see which fits best. I think the 10.5 EE works the best but I'm not sure about the length. When I stand up my big toe is hovering right around the stitching on the toe box.

As for the Barrie
ffffuuuu.gif

I wanted to make the deadline for LS's order on the 28th, so I started with an 11E and it was too long. So I ordered an 10.5 EE and 10.5 EEE from ShoeMart only to have the the EEE arrive and the EE be delayed. The EEE was too long and too wide which means the EE is another wasted $7.

Of course I want to see if maybe a 10 EE or 10EEE will be the best for a Barrie last, but ShoeMart only has the lwb cordovan in EEE and I'll miss the LS deadline either way.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beyachad
I go through this with my friends all the time. They feel their box toed disposable Ecco's et al are more comfortable than my hard soled shoes. We all have different comfort levels. I have 2 pairs of Indys and understand what you are talking about. These are not comfort boots and are heavy as well. The boots are not overly cushioned - the cork, wood and leather are supposed to mold to your fit. It takes a bit to get the leather upper and cork outsole broken in. But there is hope for you - like my dress shoes and good casual shoes (Alden or AE) after wearing and breaking them in the soles are now flexible, and the insoles, shank, etc have been molded to be very comfortable for walking all day. If this is not acceptable to you, try an Alden boot with the plantation crepe sole or put in a thin Dr. Scholls insert in the Indy. While I think the sole and edging on them are not as elegant as the Indy sole, it probably would help alleviate some comfort issues.
Yup, they are definitely heavy, but it's the weight distribution along the foot that makes it uncomfortable, in my opinion. But yeah--I'm not a 'workman' so I may have a different comfort level. Maybe the joy of working in Indys is getting home at the end of the day and the relief and joy that comes of taking them off!? How long does the break-in take? I don't think my feet can take the discomfort during that process though. I'll try an insole. I went to shoe stores today and looked at insoles....is there a brand that you recommend? I would prefer leather but cushioned....I don't want to the do the total synthetic like Dr Scholl's.... I'm still having a hard time believing that these boots have the reputation they have and still can be this uncomfortable! Does no one who can afford/wear these shoes actually have a "workman" job??!?!? This forum is full of derisive comments about the worst damage 405s taking these days is STarbucks being spilt on them.....I guess there may be some truth to that....

framus

Reaction score
With regards to a last sizing database. Would this work?

Trace the sole on paper, scan to PDF, and post PDFs for reference. Even better, trace your foot while standing (as White's boots suggest), scan and post saying which size and last works for you. Others could download and print tracing, and compare to their own foot.

Would tracings become distorted in the scanning process or stay true?

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton
Trying to find the right sizing in the Barrie and Trubalance last has been driving me crazy.

It seems like every other day I'm losing 7 more dollars on returns to Shoe Mart.

Then I decided to cut to the chase and get 10.5 E, 10.5 EE, and 10.5 EEE to see which fits best. I think the 10.5 EE works the best but I'm not sure about the length. When I stand up my big toe is hovering right around the stitching on the toe box.

As for the Barrie
ffffuuuu.gif

I wanted to make the deadline for LS's order on the 28th, so I started with an 11E and it was too long. So I ordered an 10.5 EE and 10.5 EEE from ShoeMart only to have the the EEE arrive and the EE be delayed. The EEE was too long and too wide which means the EE is another wasted $7.

Of course I want to see if maybe a 10 EE or 10EEE will be the best for a Barrie last, but ShoeMart only has the lwb cordovan in EEE and I'll miss the LS deadline either way.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm not sure anybody else here would agree but I've always found, when buying shoes, that it be best to find your length first. Once you know the length of the shoe the width is not far to follow.

Renton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
I'm not sure anybody else here would agree but I've always found, when buying shoes, that it be best to find your length first. Once you know the length of the shoe the width is not far to follow.

Sage advice

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton

As for the Barrie
ffffuuuu.gif

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

what's your regular dress shoe size?

REguy

Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
No need to repost it, but Guy:
worship.gif

Renton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
what's your regular dress shoe size?
Frankly I'm still working on figuring that one out. For years, I thought I was an 11.5 E, but I think I'm closer to an 11 ee or eee. This is why I've got a pair of 11.5E NST in #8 that are way too long, but I bought those when I was still in school. I need to go find a brannock device asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics