• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggest Proper Suit Styling for Me Please (Pic Included)

vishalrane

Reaction score
So I am 5'10", currently weighing 135 Pounds (weight is very low due to medical condition I am passing through) and obviously with very thin body frame.

I am going to buy 3-4 suits as I am going to join dad's advertising agency in a month.

Obviously I cannot go for Ready-to-wear suits, I will go for custom tailored suits only. Still I want advise from experienced users of this forum.

Kindly let me know about colours, patterns, styles etc, whatever you think will look good on my body frame please post here. I dont want to go for very formal appearance as I am going to work in advertising industry and also I want to look 'slightly' rebellious.

I was just going through internet where I found something which I liked very much, but want to know if it will look good on me or not.

Here it is:
slim_suit_2.jpg
image host[/IMG]

Waiting for your valuable replies dear friends. . . Thanks in advance. . .

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That suit you posted is ill-fitting

D Yizz

Reaction score
If your weight condition is (hopefully) temporary, you should not invest in bespoke clothing. You might want to wait until your weight stabilizes.

vishalrane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
That suit you posted is ill-fitting

I am not saying that suit is perfect, I just liked it. . .proper suggestions would have helped me. . . anyways thanks for your opinion about posted suit. . .

Originally Posted by D Yizz
If your weight condition is (hopefully) temporary, you should not invest in bespoke clothing. You might want to wait until your weight stabilizes.

Sadly, my weight wont be stabilized until the therapy is over (which is gonna take at-least 1.5-2 years more) :-(

Fellow members kindly post your suggestions. . .

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vishalrane
I am not saying that suit is perfect, I just liked it. . .proper suggestions would have helped me. . . anyways thanks for your opinion about posted suit. . .

A lot of people here don't like RLBL, but I think RLBL suits look a lot more moderate than what you have:

ralph-lauren-black-label-anthony-wool-gabardine-suit-profile.jpg

Or Cucinelli:

8219BCgreysuitWeb.jpg

Cary Grant in North by Northwest:

CaryGrantSuit2.jpg

vishalrane

Reaction score
A lot of people here don't like RLBL, but I think RLBL suits look a lot more moderate than what you have:

Thanks for the suggestions sir, still can you provide me with information, like which colors and patterns I should go with or avoid, style of lapels, Vents or no vents or any other fitting guidance? So that when I can go to get suit I will have some pointers in my mind.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions sir, still can you provide me with information, like which colors and patterns I should go with or avoid, style of lapels, Vents or no vents or any other fitting guidance? So that when I can go to get suit I will have some pointers in my mind.

You posted a picture of a mid-gray suit with notch lapels. Avoid jackets that lack vents in all cases. Most prefer double vents here, but a single vent is fine as well.

Stick with charcoal, mid-grey, or navy. Don't get a black suit. Brown, olive, and khaki suits are acceptable, but not good choices for first suits, as they are less versatile.

vishalrane

Reaction score
You posted a picture of a mid-gray suit with notch lapels. Avoid jackets that lack vents in all cases. Most prefer double vents here, but a single vent is fine as well.

Stick with charcoal, mid-grey, or navy. Don't get a black suit. Brown, olive, and khaki suits are acceptable, but not good choices for first suits, as they are less versatile.

The picture I posted it's just what I liked, It's not at all that I am going for that suit (or that style at all) it's me now, maybe after an hour or two I will hate that suit. . .

I read at lots of places that slim and tall men should steer away from dark colors and settle with light, mid shades, but you said navy, will it look good? and how about the pattern? I know pinstripes (vertical) will look bad so I am not gonna get that. Then what patterns will look good?

Notched lapels will look good or I should experiment with shawl lapels? And main thing is padding!!! What about shoulder padding or any other paddings???

Regards.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The picture I posted it's just what I liked, It's not at all that I am going for that suit (or that style at all) it's me now, maybe after an hour or two I will hate that suit. . .

I read at lots of places that slim and tall men should steer away from dark colors and settle with light, mid shades, but you said navy, will it look good? and how about the pattern? I know pinstripes (vertical) will look bad so I am not gonna get that. Then what patterns will look good?

Notched lapels will look good or I should experiment with shawl lapels? And main thing is padding!!! What about shoulder padding or any other paddings???

Regards.

No, shawl lapels and peak lapels are typically for formal dinner suits (tuxedo's). If this is a business suit or lounge suit, stick with notch lapels.

Shoulder padding is a personal preference. Most people on this board prefer a moderate amount. The reason for backlash against RLBL (first picture I posted) is the HEAVY shoulder padding. By contrast, the Cucinelli suit has close to zero padding.

As for fabrics, you'd do well to buy a suit in solid worsted wool. The carding of the worsted wool makes gives it durability. It won't pill as much as finer wools. Stay away from pinstripes.

JLHESQ2002

Reaction score

Regards.

I am getting a little tired of this thread already. First, I don't know that I have ever seen a person that could not wear a solid navy. If you don't own suits, that should be number one on your list. Second, you are not tall. You are 5'10" according to your post. I am 5'11" and I am not tall.

Finally, I don't know if there is just a misunderstanding, but you have received many great suggestions. I agree that RLBL styling is probably good for your physique. Look at the suit and have one made like it. The styling is essentially a slim fit; narrower, notched lapels; dual vents; and flat front trousers with a higher rise and slimmer leg.

Shawl lapels on a business suit? Huh!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't experiment with weird options like shawl lapels. They are not for business suits.

Notch lapel for you. Peak lapels draw attention to the shoulders, so they're great for guys built somewhat athletically. With you, they would probably accentuate your lack of bulk. Shawl is simply not used for business suits. So yeah, stick with notch.

Double vent, and you want padding. Don't go 80's with it, but you are going to want structure in your jackets. It builds up your figure, and you want that. None of these minimal, unstructured jobs so loved on SF.

As for colors and patterns, pretty much all of those bits of advice are complete and utter BS. Go with what you like. Navy is a conservative, classic color, as is charcoal. Mid gray is nice too. Suits in those three colors ought to do ya until you get your weight back.

Also, I just reread the bit about where you'll be working. Advertising isn't all that formal from what I hear. I would get one made, and then see if you even need suits on a day to day basis before you get the others made.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

saiyar1

Reaction score
There's no need to be jumping into custom made.

Based on your comments, and please don't take offense, you don't quite know what you want in a suit. That means you can't dictate all the intricacies you ought to when going MTM or bespoke.

You are slim, and you want a little edge. As a beginner, Zara would be PERFECT for you. Pick up a navy, charcoal, and medium/light gray.

No need to overthink this. I feel like when one needs to ask too many questions and isn't experienced nor gung ho, it's a sign that he should go with staple suits. Report back when you pick something up.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP keep us updated with your final purchase. I don't know you need to go MTM/Bespoke for your first,not less you know exactly what you're looking for.

Buy OTR or thift for now and keep lurking and learn like the rest of us
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
OP keep us updated with your final purchase. I don't know you need to go MTM/Bespoke for your first,not less you know exactly what you're looking for.

Buy OTR or thift for now and keep lurking and learn like the rest of us
smile.gif

OP is in India. Stick with custom made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads