• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercising in the morning

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
I like to lift weights in the morning then run at night. weights/pilates/yoga is torture for me so its best to get it over with 1st thing in the morning. cardio (bike/run) is fun and relaxing so I save it for night time to finish my day.

strange - i am completely opposite. enjoy lifting weights and find it exciting but hate running and cycling and find it boring.

as i cycle to work i do 30mins morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon.

weights are always in the afternoon tho because i cant go dropping 150kgs in the garage at 5:30am.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

seriously though - there are hormonal benefits if you work out after a long fast (normal sleep) as to weight loss and hunger (theoretically you'll burn more fat and more throughout the day). if you can get over the torture of working out tired and hungry. caloric deficit + exercise are still needed.

When I started working out at 5am, I was skeptical as well but I have found since then that it is more mental than physical. After I got used to lifting fasted, I have not found any drop off in energy or strength. And it is nice to get that **** out of the way first thing in the morning, instead of trying to carve out another hour sometime during the day. And I hate working out in the evening, because it eats into the 3 or 4 waking hours I have anyway with the kids before they (and I) are off to bed.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice a big difference in my ways when I work out in the morning. The heavy exertion that early is a big positive for me, and now having gotten used to it, I cannot go back. It's such a drag to work out later in the day.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working out in the morning is the ONLY way to go for me, but it's much better when it's warm outside since I'm a runner. Dragging myself to the gym to use a treadmill at 6:00 am is about as likely as Egypt electing a Green party.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate mornings with a passion. That said, I went to the gym this morning at 7 since I won't have any time after work to get any exercise in since I'm going to a caps game then straight out for a night of tomfoolery and coitus.

Feel great today, but can't see myself making a habit out of getting up early enough every lifting day. I like sleeping too much.

drum

Reaction score
I tried going through my work out routine at 6 am the other day, but just could not get myself going. It felt like I had run 10 miles beforehand. Was surprised to see that there were quite a few people at the gym at that hour though.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I do crossfit 4 days at a week at 6 am. You want to kill yourself at that hour but you feel great afterward and knowing you got your workout out of the way first thing in the morning is a relief.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i went at 7 am today. felt fantastic. bike for 30 min, long 20 minute stretching session, practiced some flares. in a good mood the whole day

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just started doing morning workouts, waking up at 5:00, for about a month. I can only do this for a couple days and have a weekend workout, but this is starting to improve. In order to prepare myself, I started waking up earlier in increments. The first week I woke up at 5:30 instead of 6:00 and built up to 5:00. Now, I love it. I eat a banana and have some coffee as soon as I get up and I'm ready to go. It took forever to get my energy up at that hour, but I think my body is starting to get used to it. I definitely crash and sleep in on the weekends, though.

Beefeater

Reaction score
I am a self-confessed night owl. Usually in bed around 1:00-1:30am. Don't know why but this is just my schedule, and I have grown accustom to it. So, I work out in the evenings. I do strength training 2x per week with a personal trainer and then run about 4x per week averaging 5 miles per, all usually around 6-7pm. I do work out in the morning (read: before noon) when on vacation just to get it over with, and I notice my endurance is significantly less than my usual evening workouts.

I did once read a study where most athletes were actually at their peak performance between 4pm-8pm, so maybe there is something to it, but who knows. My wife is a morning workout person and my weekly evening workouts do try her patience and complicate dinner plans often.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
I hate mornings with a passion. That said, I went to the gym this morning at 7 since I won't have any time after work to get any exercise in since I'm going to a caps game then straight out for a night of tomfoolery and coitus.

Feel great today, but can't see myself making a habit out of getting up early enough every lifting day. I like sleeping too much.

i hate mornings but it is a love/hate relationship for me..

my mind loves mornings. i wish i can wake up everyday early for me to enjoy the serenity of morning and working out.

my body hates waking up in early.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i hate mornings but it is a love/hate relationship for me..

my mind loves mornings. i wish i can wake up everyday early for me to enjoy the serenity of morning and working out.

my body hates waking up in early.

I'm like this...I've done mornings before, not consistently, just days I will be doing something in the afternoon I won't be able to go to the gym.

I like it and I hate it.

I think it's much better to do when it's warmer than when it's colder.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
I wake up at 4:30am. Usually lift between 5 and 6:30. It is great to get it done before the day starts.

+1

I work out from for an hour at 7:30am and it is much easier than in the evening. After a long day of work, I am mentally exhausted and don't want to do it. I use a combination of B6/B12 vitamin to kick off the morning - helps me to get energized. I only eat if I am weightlifting that day; otherwise, I wait till after cardio/ab training to eat on cardio days.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 am out of bed for me, in the pool by 5:30, for 30 minutes, in the office by 7-7:30, works great. I find that getting up at 5 am every weekday makes me much more productive, I have more time to get everything done, in addition to having time to get in 750-1,000 yards in the pool and a weight routine.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really wanted to get to the gym this morning so I wouldn't have to go tomorrow, but stupid neighbors above me decided it'd be awesome to walk around like elephants at 3am keeping me up until 4. No time after work since the lady is coming over pretty much right when I am off.
ffffuuuu.gif
I hate going on Saturdays since I usually have been up late Friday drinking etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads