• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being broke sucks.

drum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate
I wouldn't recommend this... My brother is an engineers and he's having a hell of a time staying employed. Everyone has recording studios at home (computers) and there's very little money in recorded music sales as it is.

+1 to this, a good friend of mine went down the same route and is finding it tough. Probably not the career to consider if you're in it for the money.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mehhhh
I also work 15 or 20 hours a week, so I have basically zero time for hobbies and etc. I'm a busy man.

I could live with the Buick if the front seat wasn't permanently stuck in the fully reclined position and the passenger door worked. (Both my brother's fault- he had the car before me.)

how do you not have time for thing at 15-20 hours a week of work? I work 40+ hours a week, go to school full time and make it to the gym 4 times a week and i still have time to go out.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Psychology. They wouldn't let me into business school because my GPA was somewhere in the 2.6 range when I switched over from music. Thinking of getting into sales or marketing when I get out, or going back to school for music to be a producer/engineer.

LOL. You are complaining about how much being broke sucks, yet you carry a 2.6 GPA and majored in Music. At first I read your first post and thought, "This kid doesnt want a **** car so he's going to work hard". Then I find out you have a 2.6 in psych. Enjoy Mcdonalds.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
LOL. You are complaining about how much being broke sucks, yet you carry a 2.6 GPA and majored in Music. At first I read your first post and thought, "This kid doesnt want a **** car so he's going to work hard". Then I find out you have a 2.6 in psych. Enjoy Mcdonalds.

quite mean but there is a certain amount of truth in that.

learn to enjoy having a ****** car. But make the most out of it. Theres no reason you should be bitching about it when you could do simple things like clean the bird **** off of it... thats free. Go to a junk yard and pick up a new seat that works and fix those doors. That doesn't take alot of mechanical skill/tools or money. Demonstrate that you care about the things you do have and your outward appearance will drastically improve. That would be a great starting point if sales is where you think you might end up.

This place is horrible for setting life expectations. I don't see many people humbly admitting their ****** circumstances.

I have all the tools that I should be sitting pretty in life, but ya in many respects I'm not much better off than when I was a broke college student.

mehhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ihambrecht
how do you not have time for thing at 15-20 hours a week of work? I work 40+ hours a week, go to school full time and make it to the gym 4 times a week and i still have time to go out.

Yeah. I definitely need to be way more productive. I'm not sure how all of that is possible, but I could be doing more with the time that I have.

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin

Not working hard (for whatever reason) is probably my greatest weakness. The only thing I've ever enjoyed working hard at was music, and when that didn't work out I was kind of in a rut. I like working on cars too, but don't want to make a career of it. Training myself to work hard at school has been tough.

EMY

Reaction score
Yeah. I definitely need to be way more productive. I'm not sure how all of that is possible, but I could be doing more with the time that I have.

Not working hard (for whatever reason) is probably my greatest weakness. The only thing I've ever enjoyed working hard at was music, and when that didn't work out I was kind of in a rut. I like working on cars too, but don't want to make a career of it. Training myself to work hard at school has been tough.

To be completely blunt, it just seems like you are extremely lazy and have bad time management. I enjoy playing music and working on my car too, but I prioritize my school work.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And this is what most of our generation is like. We dont like to work hard and think we are so special in some way, in your case music. When it doesnt work out we just ***** about not having a nice car like those ballers we see on TV and then tell everyone we have no work ethic.

Please, you think 99% of people like their jobs? If not working hard is your greatest weakness, then enjoy McDonalds.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
complement your psych studies with some marketing at look into market research/consumer behavior as a possible career path. The psych dovetails nicely, and the degree mix isn't (to my knowledge anyhow) over done. And the ass-broke time makes you appreciate it more later, trust me on that one. I grew up on the wrong side of a **** city and spent my undergrad driving a late 60s Datsun (which is ******* collectable now
ffffuuuu.gif
) and dashing between jobs behind bars and behind retail counters. I drove pizzas around in the Datsun for a few months too... I look back on it with great pride actually, although it sucked at the time. About 18mths ago I was dating a girl who grew up filthy "it's so embarassing when my Dad used to pick me up from school in the Lamborghini" and "he always used to force me to wear Gucci, like, he didn't even caaaare how I wanted to express myself" rich...she got pissy with me one night saying "you are always going on about how much better your life was growing up than miiiine" and I was like "you had a yacht, I had a Datsun!" So ya, you will look back on this period with a degree of pride that comes from knowing that what's yours is yours for a reason, and you may, if you are super lucky, look back and think "****, we didn't have much, but I was mad spoiled." I do.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I definitely need to be way more productive. I'm not sure how all of that is possible, but I could be doing more with the time that I have

its not hard you just need to be motivated. personally for me it goes like this: monday and wednesday i have school 8 to 5. tuesday, thursday, friday, saturday i have work 8 to 5 and sunday i go in from 7 to 12. I go to the gym after work but never after school and i get my homework done throughout the 5 days i have in between the wednesday to monday, that gives me plenty of time to go out.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ihambrecht
its not hard you just need to be motivated. personally for me it goes like this: monday and wednesday i have school 8 to 5. tuesday, thursday, friday, saturday i have work 8 to 5 and sunday i go in from 7 to 12. I go to the gym after work but never after school and i get my homework done throughout the 5 days i have in between the wednesday to monday, that gives me plenty of time to go out.

what the **** kidn of school do you go to where you have school two days out of the week? and what major are you?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
what the **** kidn of school do you go to where you have school two days out of the week? and what major are you?
I was pretty similar for a couple of my semesters. Did a management degree that totalled like 15 or 16 hrs in class a week, used to load them into as few days as possible so I could work.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I was pretty similar for a couple of my semesters. Did a management degree that totalled like 15 or 16 hrs in class a week, used to load them into as few days as possible so I could work.

Weird. Most students I know don't get that luxury (eg: their uni only offers the class on XYZ days). I've never, until now, met someone that could load like that.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think it's that uncommon. I had a semester where I had MWF off.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. The more I browse this site and read consumer oriented men's magazines, the shittier I feel about my income level. [...] If I wanted to I could crack into my student loans and buy some stuff but that just seems like I'd have my priorities misplaced.
Think of it this way - do you believe that anyone's $5k suit (I don't even know a brand to throw on that), $350 KMW belt, $1000 boots, etc. makes them feel like a better or more fulfilled person?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads