• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy

AldenChart.jpg

Right into i-photo. thx.

REguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Don't forget the Grant.
Great job btw.

Where's the Grant go? Surprisingly, I've never owned a pair of them.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
Where's the Grant go? Surprisingly, I've never owned a pair of them.

They seem to be one of those borderline lasts. I ended up sizing down on them but I think others have claimed TTS.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
Does anyone here who has worn a pair of Indys for a while find that they must use cushioned insoles?

I took a pair of Indys out today, pounding pavements for 4 hours non-stop....and at the end of the day, my feet were totally uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to take these things off. There is absolutely no cushioning or support...

They look good...but at it stands now, there is no way I can actually do work on my feet in these things...they're fine for sitting down at an office desk though...but then, why the hell are these so-called "work boots"?

Am I missing something? Any advice gratefully appreciated....

They're probably too small. A lot of people don't realize that after walking around a lot your feet tend to swell a bit. You should follow Aldens sizing guidelines here:

http://www.aldenshoe.com/q1.htm

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
They're probably too small. A lot of people don't realize that after walking around a lot your feet tend to swell a bit. You should follow Aldens sizing guidelines here:

http://www.aldenshoe.com/q1.htm

I actually followed those guidelines. The fit seems to be OK, I'm not blistered on my small toes, or where the edges of my feet meet the shoe, or anything like that.

However, the balls of my foot are sore and totally bruised. There is a definite feeling of "high heels to these shoes, because of so much weight being transferred to the balls...

From what I can see, there is a very hard leather lining, but no other cushioning....

Have you tried insoles with them?

THere are so many positive reviews out there for these shoes---otherwise, I'd be sorely disappointed right about now....

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
They seem to be one of those borderline lasts. I ended up sizing down on them but I think others have claimed TTS.

I was always hoping they would make a borderline last, it would fit me perfectly.
nod[1].gif

That size chart is great. What about the heels? IT would be interesting if one could see shape/width differences there too.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
They're probably too small. A lot of people don't realize that after walking around a lot your feet tend to swell a bit. You should follow Aldens sizing guidelines here: http://www.aldenshoe.com/q1.htm
Also, I listened to the advice of an older person and I didn't size down in the Alden 403 boots. I bought my regular shoe size, except I am normally an E width and I bought a D width. I have other dress shoes in D width that are fine. I was also wearing hardy socks, from Mark's Mens Wearhouse (Canadian store that supplies workwear, among other things)... Something is definitely wrong...I am wondering whether I may have received a reject pair. THere is absolutely no cushioning in the insole at all...just one very hard piece of white leather that feels like wood....the small piece of heel-lining leather is brown colored, and has the Alden New England label....

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
And I'd say downsize 1/2 size for the Grant.
facepalm.gif

Which is why I say it should go before the Tremont last. I have found the tremont last is similar to the Barrie in terms of size.

Kenal0

Reaction score
Also, I listened to the advice of an older person and I didn't size down in the Alden 403 boots. I bought my regular shoe size, except I am normally an E width and I bought a D width. I have other dress shoes in D width that are fine.

I was also wearing hardy socks, from Mark's Mens Wearhouse (Canadian store that supplies workwear, among other things)...

Something is definitely wrong...I am wondering whether I may have received a reject pair. THere is absolutely no cushioning in the insole at all...just one very hard piece of white leather that feels like wood....the small piece of heel-lining leather is brown colored, and has the Alden New England label....

I am normally and E width and all my Aldens are E width. I tried on a pair of the Indy's in a D width and they were a little snug. The E width Indys are one the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.
That being said, they definitely do not have the cushion of my Brooks running shoes. I am on my feet a lot all day but they do not bother me. I will check what kind of cushioning my Indys have when I get home.
Kenal0

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenal0
I am normally and E width and all my Aldens are E width. I tried on a pair of the Indy's in a D width and they were a little snug. The E width Indys are one the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.
That being said, they definitely do not have the cushion of my Brooks running shoes. I am on my feet a lot all day but they do not bother me. I will check what kind of cushioning my Indys have when I get home.
Kenal0

actually, i'm not comparing the cushioning to running shoes or even mocassins.

even a regular pair of dress shoes (Ferragamo Tramezzas) seem to have better cushioning than Alden Indys. I've been stuck at an airport for >7 hours, the whole time during which I was jittery and running around from store to store, reading magazines standing up, roaming around, etc etc....and my feet were fine in 11D shoes. not ultra-comfortable, but very comfortable nonetheless. aka, no sigh of relief when I got home and took them off.

Wearing 403s was what I imagined wearing high heels would be like....all the weight is on the balls of your feet!

Beyachad

Reaction score
Also, I listened to the advice of an older person and I didn't size down in the Alden 403 boots. I bought my regular shoe size, except I am normally an E width and I bought a D width. I have other dress shoes in D width that are fine.

I was also wearing hardy socks, from Mark's Mens Wearhouse (Canadian store that supplies workwear, among other things)...

Something is definitely wrong...I am wondering whether I may have received a reject pair. THere is absolutely no cushioning in the insole at all...just one very hard piece of white leather that feels like wood....the small piece of heel-lining leather is brown colored, and has the Alden New England label....

I go through this with my friends all the time. They feel their box toed disposable Ecco's et al are more comfortable than my hard soled shoes. We all have different comfort levels.

I have 2 pairs of Indys and understand what you are talking about. These are not comfort boots and are heavy as well. The boots are not overly cushioned - the cork, wood and leather are supposed to mold to your fit. It takes a bit to get the leather upper and cork outsole broken in.

But there is hope for you - like my dress shoes and good casual shoes (Alden or AE) after wearing and breaking them in the soles are now flexible, and the insoles, shank, etc have been molded to be very comfortable for walking all day.

If this is not acceptable to you, try an Alden boot with the plantation crepe sole or put in a thin Dr. Scholls insert in the Indy. While I think the sole and edging on them are not as elegant as the Indy sole, it probably would help alleviate some comfort issues.

marg

Reaction score
anyone that has a cordo boot on the barrie last, do you think that the boot offers more foot room that a LWB? i want to pick up the captoe boot from winn perry, but they only have a d and i wear an e in the lwb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads