• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

natural belt care and stains

islay

Reaction score
Hello, I got a natural tan belt recently. I heard they get denim stains very quickly and is better to use a leather conditioner to avoid this. On the other hand I also heard is better to use the belt for a while and develop some patina before you apply conditioner for the first time. But if I do that I guess I will get some stains, so what´s the truth about all this and the best way to go?

cheers

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by islay
Hello, I got a natural tan belt recently. I heard they get denim stains very quickly and is better to use a leather conditioner to avoid this. On the other hand I also heard is better to use the belt for a while and develop some patina before you apply conditioner for the first time. But if I do that I guess I will get some stains, so what´s the truth about all this and the best way to go? cheers
I've written quite a bit on natural leather belt care and assessment on my blog, so I'd recommend having a read if this is your first time playing around with natural leather. If your jeans are relatively new, and has a denim which bleeds heavily, then I'd recommend holding off using your natural belt until the denim settles down and stops bleeding so much. Usually after a couple of weeks it'll be OK, assuming you soak/wash the denim before wearing. Applying a conditioner usually won't protect against indigo staining that much, unless the conditioner you're using has a high wax content or contains a lot of coating agent. Although the myth that you have to "wear the belt for a while to develop patina before oiling" is quite dumb (IMO, of course), and I don't understand why some people keep propagating it
smack.gif
There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your natural belt a good oil before wearing it. Frequent and light maintenance is best for your leather, both in terms of it's appearance and it's health. As I've written on my blog: "This is the only way to bring out the full potential of the leather, to achieve a truly beautiful patina – where the grain development is maximised and the colour/tone change is in balance with the texture of the grain. By giving the leather adequate nourishment, you will ensure that your leather goods will not only look good after 1 or 2 years, but also 5 , 10, 15 years down the track. This is a case where the tortoise wins the race; true beauty can only be achieved with care and patience."

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Solid advice and great blog - thank you sir!

Originally Posted by mikecch
I've written quite a bit on natural leather belt care and assessment on my blog, so I'd recommend having a read if this is your first time playing around with natural leather.

If your jeans are relatively new, and has a denim which bleeds heavily, then I'd recommend holding off using your natural belt until the denim settles down and stops bleeding so much. Usually after a couple of weeks it'll be OK, assuming you soak/wash the denim before wearing.

Applying a conditioner usually won't protect against indigo staining that much, unless the conditioner you're using has a high wax content or contains a lot of coating agent.

Although the myth that you have to "wear the belt for a while to develop patina before oiling" is quite dumb (IMO, of course), and I don't understand why some people keep propagating it
smack.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your natural belt a good oil before wearing it.

Frequent and light maintenance is best for your leather, both in terms of it's appearance and it's health.
As I've written on my blog:
"This is the only way to bring out the full potential of the leather, to achieve a truly beautiful patina - where the grain development is maximised and the colour/tone change is in balance with the texture of the grain.
By giving the leather adequate nourishment, you will ensure that your leather goods will not only look good after 1 or 2 years, but also 5 , 10, 15 years down the track.
This is a case where the tortoise wins the race; true beauty can only be achieved with care and patience."

DerAngriff

Reaction score
Suggestions on plain natural tan belts that are less than $70 and not bulky width wise? No fancy buckle required.

Edit. just checked some belts... $185??

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Tanner, Corter, Hollows, or make your own from Tandy stuff.

islay

Reaction score
I've written quite a bit on natural leather belt care and assessment on my blog, so I'd recommend having a read if this is your first time playing around with natural leather.

If your jeans are relatively new, and has a denim which bleeds heavily, then I'd recommend holding off using your natural belt until the denim settles down and stops bleeding so much. Usually after a couple of weeks it'll be OK, assuming you soak/wash the denim before wearing.

Applying a conditioner usually won't protect against indigo staining that much, unless the conditioner you're using has a high wax content or contains a lot of coating agent.

Although the myth that you have to "wear the belt for a while to develop patina before oiling" is quite dumb (IMO, of course), and I don't understand why some people keep propagating it
smack.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your natural belt a good oil before wearing it.

Frequent and light maintenance is best for your leather, both in terms of it's appearance and it's health.
As I've written on my blog:
"This is the only way to bring out the full potential of the leather, to achieve a truly beautiful patina - where the grain development is maximised and the colour/tone change is in balance with the texture of the grain.
By giving the leather adequate nourishment, you will ensure that your leather goods will not only look good after 1 or 2 years, but also 5 , 10, 15 years down the track.
This is a case where the tortoise wins the race; true beauty can only be achieved with care and patience."

The conditioner I have is Montana Pitch blend, water reppelent leather dressing , Scott was kind to send me this toguether with the belts. I will read your blog, it looks really interesting, so far I guess what I have to do is appky the conditioner and wear the belt with jeans that are a bit old and not loosing indigo anymore, is that right?

cheers

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerAngriff
Suggestions on plain natural tan belts that are less than $70 and not bulky width wise? No fancy buckle required. Edit. just checked some belts... $185??
I picked up a nudie plain belt for $77 in Stockholm. 1-1/8" wide, I believe, and a very simple buckle. Edit: Here it is, they charge a premium in the US though... http://shop.nudiejeans.com/system/se...id=1657&rnum=9

l1mab3an

Reaction score
I enjoy indigo stains on my belt, am I alone in this?

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^no you're not alone, because you got that idea from others.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
Solid advice and great blog - thank you sir!
Cheers mate!
Originally Posted by islay
The conditioner I have is Montana Pitch blend, water reppelent leather dressing , Scott was kind to send me this toguether with the belts. I will read your blog, it looks really interesting, so far I guess what I have to do is appky the conditioner and wear the belt with jeans that are a bit old and not loosing indigo anymore, is that right? cheers
Spot on
smile.gif
Although Montana Pitch Blend will darken your leather a little bit more than pure animal oil...but nothing wrong with that!

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by l1mab3an
I enjoy indigo stains on my belt, am I alone in this?

yeah natural belts with lots of wear look great with faint indigo on it

SAB-1.JPG

very SICK belt

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions on plain natural tan belts that are less than $70 and not bulky width wise? No fancy buckle required.

Edit. just checked some belts... $185??

corter.

mikecch

Reaction score
Suggestions on plain natural tan belts that are less than $70 and not bulky width wise? No fancy buckle required. Edit. just checked some belts... $185??
Just check the Leather Artisan's Appreciation thread!
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah natural belts with lots of wear look great with faint indigo on it
SAB-1.JPG
very SICK belt

I saw that on Kurt's blog
laugh.gif
I wonder how old it is? Although I have to say I'm not a fan of the grain all peeled off when the colour isn't even that dark (I'm assuming it started off an unfinished colour?)...a leather belt really shouldn't look like this unless it's true vintage (the leather is old and neglected) or the owner got trapped in the wilderness for a couple of years. I think this belt is a good example of colour/tone change not being in balance with the texture/wear of the grain. (P.S. Not trying to dis Kurt, I have great respect for the guy!!!)

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that on Kurt's blog
laugh.gif

I wonder how old it is?

Although I have to say I'm not a fan of the grain all peeled off when the colour isn't even that dark (I'm assuming it started off an unfinished colour?)...a leather belt really shouldn't look like this unless it's true vintage (the leather is old and neglected) or the owner got trapped in the wilderness for a couple of years.

I think this belt is a good example of colour/tone change not being in balance with the texture/wear of the grain.
(P.S. Not trying to dis Kurt, I have great respect for the guy!!!)

its a deadstock swedish military issue belt ... apparently worn daily for 10 years but no mention of care, if any

http://stockroom.inventorymagazine.c...tage-deadstock

assuming it was little to no care on that belt, i think it looks amazing and regardless held up very well for 10 years

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics