• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Good pair of versatile dress shoes for a 20 year old starting a more professional wardrobe?

A black captoe oxford. Look for Alden, Church, Crockett & Jones, Allen-Edmonds, Cheaney, Alfred Sargent...

Mudhiker

Reaction score

alvinkim14

Reaction score
Looking for a classy casual brown leather watch - budget is up to $3k
(Blue hands or dial are a major plus)
Any suggestions?

Also, I really like Paul Smith but I hate paying retail. Where can I find some good deals/sales?

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
Since I am told that The Tie Bar ties suck total ass... anybody have some recommendations for moderately priced solid ties, say, $30 or less? I'm wanting to add some wool ones to my collection. (Not knit ties though. Don't have any use for those.)
You are not going to find anything better then tie bar at that price unless you go thrifting or b and s. Does anyone have any details on lauren by Ralph lauren? I'm assuming that it is their bargain brand.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
You are not going to find anything better then tie bar at that price bless you go thrifting or b and s.

Does anyone have any details on lauren by Ralph lauren? I'm assuming that it is their bargain brand.

AFAIK Lauren with the dark green label is a budget brand with outsourced manufacturing, aimed at warehous stores, TJmaxx etc. It's not well regarded on here. Someone did a breakdown of all the RL sub labels on here if you can be bothered to search, and I think that was bottom of the list. I got a decent summer cotton sports jacket in LRL for less than $100.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
AFAIK Lauren with the dark green label is a budget brand with outsourced manufacturing, aimed at warehous stores, TJmaxx etc. It's not well regarded on here. Someone did a breakdown of all the RL sub labels on here if you can be bothered to search, and I think that was bottom of the list. I got a decent summer cotton sports jacket in LRL for less than $100.

That's what I thought, thanks.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm ordering a shirt with french cuff from Moderntailor, and given that I currently do not own any french cuff style shirts, how am I suppose to know what size fits base on my wrist size. Or is it the same as regular button style?

Also, what is a convertible cuff? Both regular and french?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
If I'm ordering a shirt with french cuff from Moderntailor, and given that I currently do not own any french cuff style shirts, how am I suppose to know what size fits base on my wrist size. Or is it the same as regular button style?

Also, what is a convertible cuff? Both regular and french?

Convertible - imagine a single button barrel cuff like you see on most traditional shirts. Now add a button hole behind the button so you have the choice to close your cuff with either a button or a link. I suggest you don't go this route. Get off the fence and choose either barrel cuff with button or double French cuff with link.

Kslim

Reaction score
I found this really nice navy Dior suit but I have no idea about their suits. What's everyone's opinions?

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Now add a button hole behind the button so you have the choice to close your cuff with either a button or a link. I suggest you don't go this route. Get off the fence and choose either barrel cuff with button or double French cuff with link.

ahhh thought so, but you just confirmed my suspicion (first mtm recently arrived).

img0987.png

-I agree on the single-french-semi-hybrid-whatever-cuff looking weird, don't remember asking for it...
ffffuuuu.gif

edit: probably thought "convertible" (in the local tongue
wink.gif
) ment two buttons...
facepalm.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merovius
Club Monaco grey pinstripe suit, blue Isaia gingham shirt, pink bowtie, polka dot socks and black chucks? I think itll be fun...

facepalm.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
peepwall[1].gif
butbut.gif

either/or

Reaction score
... in continuation of the convertible cuff:
img0987.png

is there such a thing as an 'single' french cuff? -would it be terribly faux pas to convert my convertibles into 'singles' by removing the buttons? I'm asking since this is my first mtm shirt and it's a little off. That is, the 'normal' button position make the cuffs too big (sleeve length is a couple of cm's too long, causing them to slide down/out of jacket sleeves) and the 'tight' button position keeps things in place but make my hands look like this:
sensoryhomunculus.png
'Single' french is just right though... -aside of course from the fact that I technically would be guilty of Costanza-ing...
uhoh.gif

silvermagenta

Reaction score
My wool trouser's pockets from flaring. Is it the cut, fabric, a combination or something else I'm not thinking of?

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by silvermagenta
My wool trouser's pockets from flaring. Is it the cut, fabric, a combination or something else I'm not thinking of?

Your pants could be too tight in the seat area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads