• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

jbharris88

Reaction score
Where's the best place to purchase the 1000 Mile boot? There is a local spot in my neighborhood but not really wanting to pay an extra 10% Chicago tax to Daley and his goons. Does Cranes carry them at a discount?

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Where's the best place to purchase the 1000 Mile boot? There is a local spot in my neighborhood but not really wanting to pay an extra 10% Chicago tax to Daley and his goons. Does Cranes carry them at a discount?

Ordered mine from Crane's. They offered the best price I could find either locally or on the net for the Addison's.

laforce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Revolve if you've never shopped there before. 30% off discount for your first order (email them after ordering). $227.5 shipped.

Nezero

Reaction score
I'm a UK8/EUR 42 which according to sizing charts translates to US8.5.

What size should I go for?

MSAINT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nezero

You should really try them on or some US boots with the same fitting at last before ordering...

For instance I'm a 40.5 EU (Heschung) / 6.5 fitting E UK (Trickers, Grenson, C&J) / 7 fitting E US (Alden, Red Wing, Chippewa)

Nothing will help you as a good tryout!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nezero

Originally Posted by MSAINT
You should really try them on or some US boots with the same fitting at last before ordering...Nothing will help you as a good tryout!

Very true, however if it's impossible to try on and you order from a retailer with a good return policy, going down by a half size is a pretty good rule of thumb. I'd say they run normal to wide and a half size large, generally speaking.

I didn't read any of the sizing advice before buying my 1000 Mile originals. I'm an 11 US by the Brannock and between a D & E depending on the shoe. Sneakers for instance are normally an 11D where some narrower fitting dress shoes will require I go with an11 E. If a shoe's not going to work for me, it'll be the width on my right foot, where the pinky toe gets smashed/squeezed.

I was swimming in a Wolverine 1K Mile 11D, but a 10.5D was damn near perfect. Worked well in the length and adequate room in the toe box.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI the black wolverine ascot is on sale at revolve. 140 shipped with TULIP Coupon.

i just copped, i cant resist boots on sale. What do you guys think of pairing them with a grey suit for office work?

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
First post, and a question for Crane's:

Having taken the CXL and the cordovan models to hell and back, can you share any thoughts about the relative merits of either? Are the shell boots proving to be that much more durable?

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Posted this in the Addison thread but figured I'd drop it here as well. Just got my tan Addy's from Crane's. Haven't had the chance to wear them yet, but snapped some pics. Wanted to make sure I caught the embossed sole before it gets torn the eff back. Looking forward to breaking these in and beating them up. I sized down a half size in these and am glad I did.
DSC00357.jpg
DSC00364.jpg
DSC00362.jpg
DSC00372.jpg
DSC00359.jpg

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tan Addisons are fantastic. Kopped a pair myself and I'm glad I did. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn and they look damn good.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like those tan Addisons. I'm going to have to stay away from the Wolverine order screen, it would be so easy to click my size and then hit submit.
Originally Posted by DC Office Hack
First post, and a question for Crane's: Having taken the CXL and the cordovan models to hell and back, can you share any thoughts about the relative merits of either? Are the shell boots proving to be that much more durable?
As of yet I can't say one is better than the other as far as durability is concerned. Both pair are still to new to make that call. About the only difference I see so far is in the frequency of oiling, snosealing and cleaning them. I put a coat of oil on the Chromexcel about once every 3 weeks or so and snoseal them every other month. They get cleaned thoroughly (lexol cleaner) about every 4 months. The Cordovan boots on the other hand require far less maintenance. I have applied oil and snoseal once so far. I've had them about 4 months now and I'll snoseal them again soon since MO muck season is about to begin. They don't really need it but I'm a firm believer in proactive maintenance versus reactive. Cleaning them is also much easier. I don't have to use a cleaner on them to get the crud off. A good brushing and they look great. Both leathers are extremely durable and I see no reason why either boot won't last many many years as long as they are properly maintained. To keep cowhide looking good and well maintained requires more work than Cordovan. That's due to the differences in the structure of each leather and to some extent the tanning process. Here's something to think about. Have you ever seen dirt under a microscope? I have and those little particles are frickin razor sharp. Just imagine a bunch of microscopic flint arrowheads for a moment. Cowhide is looser grained and much more porous than Cordovan. Those nice little arrowheads can get deep into those pores. Guess what happens when you flex the leather against those particles? Yep you start to cut the fibers. Over time the leather will fail. This is one of the reasons why I believe Cordovan will outlast cowhide if everything else is equal. Oh and Cordovan is just sexy so it's worth spending the extra money.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Can any of you Addison wearers please post some pics of your boots? I'd like to see what the look like when worn. I'd also like to get a sense of what they look like after they've been broken in.

I have a hunch that Addison's are more readily dressed up than the regular models, and I'd like a pair of boots that look fine with chinos.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DC Office Hack
Can any of you Addison wearers please post some pics of your boots? I'd like to see what the look like when worn. I'd also like to get a sense of what they look like after they've been broken in. I have a hunch that Addison's are more readily dressed up than the regular models, and I'd like a pair of boots that look fine with chinos.
Here's a quick shot. These really are comfortable boots right out of the box. The leather is buttery soft and there's no ankle rub that you might find with stiffer boots. Btw...my coworker practically creamed herself when she saw these in my office yesterday!
DSC00376.jpg

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mercuryman76
Here's a quick shot. These really are comfortable boots right out of the box. The leather is buttery soft and there's no ankle rub that you might find with stiffer boots. Btw...my coworker practically creamed herself when she saw these in my office yesterday!
DSC00376.jpg

Those are really nice. I'll be honest: sometimes I think, "wow, awesome, let's buy a pair." Sometimes I think, "clown shoes." The cap toe combined with the tan certainly isn't subtle. That said, the tan is fantastic against the denim. Fabulous color.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clown shoes? Nah, these are clown shoes:

clown.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads