• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where's the best place to purchase shoes online?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People can't answer this question without knowing what kind of shoes.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of purchasing shoes online. Fit is particularly important in shoes, and unless you are familiar with the brand and last you may be surprised when they arrive.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
endless.com

theshoemart.com

DerAngriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I'm not a fan of purchasing shoes online. Fit is particularly important in shoes, and unless you are familiar with the brand and last you may be surprised when they arrive.
It'd be nice to have a local shop that had range, service, availability and was priced decently. Where I live, you can't buy any of the brands regularly cited in this forum - though we do have a RM Williams store. Not a fan of RM though. Prices are also outrageous here. Not a paltry 10-20% more... often twice as much or more than what you can buy in the U.S. Heh. I bought Levi 511's locally - Around $140USD. Then I look at how much I can get them in the States ($60 inc shipping) and feel that I got severely burned. Ordering clothing and shoes online can be a gamble but that's why you do as much research as possible to mitigate fit issues. I can buy ****** Chinese glued faux leather shoes for $200 with what counts a middle of the road mens clothing store here - or I can pay $270 and buy Loakes from Pediwear. I'll take my chances and return them with shipping loss or ebay them if fit is incorrect. Sif shop locally.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I bought two pairs of Y's Yohji Yamamoto sneakers on Yoox when they were on crazy sale with free shipping (who offers free shipping on shoes??? anyway), both listed as size 12 with the notice "these shoes are tagged size [VI] which corresponds to a US 12" -- I get the shoes and I can't even wear them a hundred feet without my feet erupting into bloody fountains because they're absolutely tiny, but I have no interest in spending >50% of the purchase price to return them so I ended up giving them both to my best friend who's a size 10.5 I think, and they fit him beautifully.

ktrp

Reaction score
The markup on shoes here is so high that I would have to pay to ship back 2 or 3 pairs before I'd actually be down.

I have personal experience (good) with herring shoes, and with the ebay seller sausages 234. Pediwear seems to have good prices on a good variety at all times, so I'd always look there. In both of these cases, I'm speaking to buying (sadly) lower end u.k. made shoes.

GBer

Reaction score
Depends on what you are looking for. EG, JL, GG, C&J?

EG & JL - usually not available online
GG - Edward's of Manchester, one of the site sponsors above - Bespoke
C&J - Pediwear, Bodiley's, C&J factory, PLAL

Alden, AE? no idea

But as someone stated already, unless you are familiar not only with the brand and last, but also the fit of that particular style, you might not like the end result.

AKMarkB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerAngriff
It'd be nice to have a local shop that had range, service, availability and was priced decently. Where I live, you can't buy any of the brands regularly cited in this forum - though we do have a RM Williams store. Not a fan of RM though. Prices are also outrageous here. Not a paltry 10-20% more... often twice as much or more than what you can buy in the U.S. Heh. I bought Levi 511's locally - Around $140USD. Then I look at how much I can get them in the States ($60 inc shipping) and feel that I got severely burned.

Ordering clothing and shoes online can be a gamble but that's why you do as much research as possible to mitigate fit issues. I can buy ****** Chinese glued faux leather shoes for $200 with what counts a middle of the road mens clothing store here - or I can pay $270 and buy Loakes from Pediwear. I'll take my chances and return them with shipping loss or ebay them if fit is incorrect.

Sif shop locally.

It's the same way here. Shoe stores here are crap. Nordstrom is an option but they never have what you want in inventory. I have 7 pairs of AE and I bought all but one pair online. We do have a Red Wing store though so I'll be buying my GT's from there. My AE's came from ebay and directly from AE when on sale. I have some Cole Hanns that I bought from Nordstrom. I bought a pair of UGG boots from Zappos. You guys who live in Major cities have it dicked when it comes to selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads