• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all the cyclists, go for a run in the morning and get off the roads
devil.gif

Selvaggio

Reaction score
You may be interested. The MJBale shop in the Queen Victoria Building (which I think has become a kind of clearance outlet) in Sydney is having a sale at the moment. I have never bought anything from there before but I liked the look of their shirts so I bought a couple (two for $100).

They also had some nice looking suits ($500) including a nice blue pin stripe (a shade lighter than navy - don't know what you call that with bright white pins) - but not in my size. Sports coats were $300 - but I didn't like them as much.

Happy hunting.

While on the topic of QVB, I walked past the Joe Bananas shop and it got me thinking. Whilst I can't see myself wearing his stuff - I kind of admire his longevity and individualism. Like he is single handedly keeping the flame for Stuart Membury/Trent Nathan era clothing alive.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
devil.gif

Do not tar everyone with the same brush. There are bad drivers and bad cyclists out there and both should grow up or get off the road.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink Socks
In regards to previous discussion regarding cycling to work, I use two panniers and take everything I wear daily - suit, shoes, shirt, boxer shorts, socks, pocket square. Cycling to work makes you feel alive when you arrive, partially because of the adrenaline, partially because you are glad to have survived some of Melbourne's less talented/thoughtful drivers. Cycling is the right speed for life.
I'm guessing you must have very soft and unstructed suit jackets that can be rolled up into a pannier?!? When I'm on the bike, I'm more worried about getting hit by other cyclists, pedestrians and dogs than cars these days. I split my ride about 50-50 road/bike path...and in general I feel safer on the road.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
devil.gif

Especially those who decide to ride in the middle of a 1 lane road!

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Do not tar everyone with the same brush. There are bad drivers and bad cyclists out there and both should grow up or get off the road.

True, but **** drivers still pay for the right to be on the road.

Cyclist dont at all. IMHO, if you want to be treated the same as a car or motorbike, pay rego and fees like them too

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
True, but **** drivers still pay for the right to be on the road. Cyclist dont at all. IMHO, if you want to be treated the same as a car or motorbike, pay rego and fees like them too
And a lot of them think traffic rules don't apply to them, especially when it comes to traffic lights. Almost got run over by cyclists numerous times while crossing the road.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Ed Harry, just one of many smalltime menswear chains prolifferating shopping malls throughout Australia. Still, their closure signals job losses, and that's never something to celebrate.
True, but tbh I don't really rate the SAs in Ed Harry. I haven't set foot in there in years, but last time I did (when I was in my early 20s, so this was a VERY long time ago), the SA was an old slapper dressed as though she was about to go out clubbing and she didn't come across as terribly professional. My gf (now wife) wasn't impressed with how much the SA was flirting with me, even though I didn't notice that ... I just thought she was being casual and overly familiar rather than flirtatious. On a happier note, I'll be hitting Melbourne in the next few weeks on account of getting a new job.
biggrin.gif
Any recommendations of stores/places I should be looking at? I know Herringbone is a no-brainer, on account of us not having a Herringbone store in Adelaide.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
True, but **** drivers still pay for the right to be on the road.

Cyclist dont at all. IMHO, if you want to be treated the same as a car or motorbike, pay rego and fees like them too

Actually the vast majority of cyclists do pay rego because they also have motor vehicles and for those who do not the reasons normally cited are they they do no damage to the roadways (so no need to fund their up keep), don't need to fund new freeways and they very rarely cause damage to other people or property.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They just to damage to other motorists cars..
Dont even get me started on those freakin conservative business dress delivery riders..

They do pay rego.. for their cars! Not bikes

jobro

Reaction score
I have to agree with the rego' point. Bikes should not be on the road. They do not pay for the use of roads and they generally get "free" bike tracks built for them on/next to busy roads for them to use which they do not take advantage of.

The worst is when they are in the middle of the road going up a blind hill. Argh! Get off the road so I can drive on the road that I pay for!!!

Also, what happens when a bike causes a serious accident between two cars. The biker could be sued for 20million dollars if all the wrong injuries are caused in the accident. The bike rider would probably be severely hurt too. I have seen a minor accident on a double lane road where the driver had to swerve into the next lane to dodge a bike only to collide with a car in their blind spot. It would be awful to see a similar accident on a single lane two-way road.

__PG__

Reaction score
What about kids who ride to school. Do they have to pay rego?

What if they are 5 y.o. and riding a tricycle?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
What about kids who ride to school. Do they have to pay rego? What if they are 5 y.o. and riding a tricycle?
There should be a concession for children/kids. Perhaps $10-20 a year. Do you know of many kids that know any road rules? Or enough to keep them safe? I think bikes should be made illegal on the road without rego'. Perhaps this may restrict kids under 16 riding on roads, for both their own and others safety. Path/track riders should not have to pay rego' to encourage riding. Tricycle enthusiasts such as the 5yo you mention should be sticking to parks and should not incur any costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads