• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books on shoes

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

david3558

Reaction score
I can't help much but what books would be recommended for general menswear? I've seen a couple at a local Brooks Brothers but that's about it.

Raralith

Reaction score
The Vass book is very nice. I have a friend who had it, but I wasn't into my current waredrobe so I only thumbed through it. I was debating some time ago on whether or not to buy one since my friend is now 3,000 miles away so I can't steal it from him, but some reason, I can't recall why I haven't purchased it yet.

I've been to a trunk show where these merchants basically come to your city and show their wares, and it is a great time to ask questions, get history, construction information, etc... Being in England, how about going into one of the higher end shoe shops, and get some tutelage there? I find most artisans really do care about their work, and are more than willing to spend time giving you the history and information about their trade. ****, one time I spent almost 2 hours in the John Lobb store in South Coast Plaza, half the time trying on shoes, the other time being shown how the guy polishes his shoes so damn well. You being the only person there and/or purchasing a pair of shoes help too.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Vass book is very good. I bought the book and enjoyed reading it.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
I can't help much but what books would be recommended for general menswear? I've seen a couple at a local Brooks Brothers but that's about it.

The links in my OP are good - the 20 books one. Only in the last 6 months or so have I read books on clothing. The Suit was a good read, and Dressing the Man by Flusser which was excellent - I learned a lot from the latter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suit-Nichola...8677932&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dressing-Man...8677945&sr=1-1

Originally Posted by Raralith
The Vass book is very nice. I have a friend who had it, but I wasn't into my current waredrobe so I only thumbed through it. I was debating some time ago on whether or not to buy one since my friend is now 3,000 miles away so I can't steal it from him, but some reason, I can't recall why I haven't purchased it yet.

I've been to a trunk show where these merchants basically come to your city and show their wares, and it is a great time to ask questions, get history, construction information, etc... Being in England, how about going into one of the higher end shoe shops, and get some tutelage there? I find most artisans really do care about their work, and are more than willing to spend time giving you the history and information about their trade. ****, one time I spent almost 2 hours in the John Lobb store in South Coast Plaza, half the time trying on shoes, the other time being shown how the guy polishes his shoes so damn well. You being the only person there and/or purchasing a pair of shoes help too.

This is how I found out about Oxford lacings being better for a flatter foot. I could certainly combine the two and have found the good shoe shops really appreciate that you know a bit about the shoes.

Originally Posted by Poshak Man
Vass book is very good. I bought the book and enjoyed reading it.

Yeah a few people have said that now, I will buy it shortly I think!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics