• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
I own Aldens on the Barrie last and Trubalance last, both in 8.5D and both seem to fit me well. But I'm still curious how I should size for other lasts? The same or differently?

One of the problems of giving this type of advise is that it really varies between people with high arches, tall insteps, etc...

For example, I wear 9.5D in Barrie, could go down to 9D in Tru-balance, 9.5 D or E in Hampton / Aberdeen - I also own 10D in Hampton and Leydon.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
One of the problems of giving this type of advise is that it really varies between people with high arches, tall insteps, etc...

For example, I wear 9.5D in Barrie, could go down to 9D in Tru-balance, 9.5 D or E in Hampton / Aberdeen - I also own 10D in Hampton and Leydon.

+lots

My best fit on Barrie last is 9EEE, but I'm wearing a pair of 10Ds right now (with hiking socks). I also have a pair in 9.5D, which were snug in the toe box initially but are quite comfortable now, and a pair of Aberdeen last bluchers in 10D.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jorge
There's really no substitute for trying them on, I've experienced variation between Alden shoes of the same model, and size. (I know that's not what anyone wants to hear.)

Funny you should mention that. I went to a local Men's store with a very limited Alden collection and extremely limited knowledge of Alden Lasts by the staff. They were very friendly and tried to be helpful, but I did not have much luck.

I was hoping for a Barrie, but they had none in my size and I'm not sure if they even knew if they had one so I could look at it up close.

A Plaza in a 10D was a no go.

An Aberdeen in 11 D seemed to be wide enough in the one shoe they found, but I had definite heel slippage.

The Tremont in a 10.5C was definitely too narrow.

The closest I came was with the Hampton in a 10.5 D. It was a little tight in the ball of foot. Not sure if they'd widen or if a 10.5E would work better.

I have a pair of JCrew 403 Indy's at 10.5D, which is great with hiking socks but loose with dress socks. Same deal with a seconds pair of 405 Indy's at 10.5E, fine with hiking socks, loose with dress socks.

I've checked out Alden of Carmel's sizing info. Unfortunately the Hampton and Tremont did not make their list. How do those compare to the other Lasts?

What size can I get away with in Barrie shoe? I was thinking 10D or 10E.

I'm hoping to get the chance to check out another store...

Thanks in advance...

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own Aldens on the Barrie last and Trubalance last, both in 8.5D and both seem to fit me well. But I'm still curious how I should size for other lasts? The same or differently?

ChrisGold already gave you the answer with the link to Alden of Carmel's sizing chart.

Click the link, read what it says, and go from there. That is the best info you will get. Plain and simple. I don't see where your confusion is. We have all been pretty patient with your questions and clear with our answers.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
^
^
I find that a Barrie PTB is looser fitting than a Barrie longwing, e.g.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhatAboutBob
Funny you should mention that. I went to a local Men's store with a very limited Alden collection and extremely limited knowledge of Alden Lasts by the staff. They were very friendly and tried to be helpful, but I did not have much luck.

I was hoping for a Barrie, but they had none in my size and I'm not sure if they even knew if they had one so I could look at it up close.

A Plaza in a 10D was a no go.

An Aberdeen in 11 D seemed to be wide enough in the one shoe they found, but I had definite heel slippage.

The Tremont in a 10.5C was definitely too narrow.

The closest I came was with the Hampton in a 10.5 D. It was a little tight in the ball of foot. Not sure if they'd widen or if a 10.5E would work better.

I have a pair of JCrew 403 Indy's at 10.5D, which is great with hiking socks but loose with dress socks. Same deal with a seconds pair of 405 Indy's at 10.5E, fine with hiking socks, loose with dress socks.

I've checked out Alden of Carmel's sizing info. Unfortunately the Hampton and Tremont did not make their list. How do those compare to the other Lasts?

What size can I get away with in Barrie shoe? I was thinking 10D or 10E.

I'm hoping to get the chance to check out another store...

Thanks in advance...

Not sure what to make of all this except to say that sizing down from tru-balance is almost never required. Tru-balance actually runs slightly larger than Barrie. My best GUESS is to stay in the same size as Tru-balance, and wear regular socks.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, someone got some J Crew Alden's for .99 cents!: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3204wt_1141 I guess it pays to have different size feet. Hopefully the buyer read the auction.
confused.gif
But how did someone get J Crew to sell those originally?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
I hereby declare Thursday 2/24 Picture Day - let's have everyone show what they put on in the morning, bad cell phone pictures are fine - all sizing questions will be met with scorn and ridicule.

(I'm partially kidding about the sizing questions. Many of us are happy to help, but these questions are almost impossible to answer online - order a couple of pairs from ShoeMart or ebay and see how they fit, or visit a local store, try some things on and buy what fits.)

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
I hereby declare Thursday 2/24 Picture Day - let's have everyone show what they put on in the morning, bad cell phone pictures are fine - all sizing questions will me met with scorn and ridicule.

(I'm partially kidding about the sizing questions. Many of us are happy to help, but these questions are almost impossible to answer online - order a couple of pairs from ShoeMart or ebay and see how they fit, or visit a local store, try some things on and buy what fits.)

^^^great idea, I'll post my pics tomorrow.

Also re: sizing, TruBalance 9D are a touch bigger than Modified 9D which are a touch bigger than Barrie 9D in the forefoot in my opinion. Can't help on the others unfortunately.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, someone got some J Crew Alden's for .99 cents!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3204wt_1141

I guess it pays to have different size feet. Hopefully the buyer read the auction.
confused.gif

But how did someone get J Crew to sell those originally?

damn I wish had seen those, as I'm between an 8.5 and 9. I imagine between some basic shoe stretching and inserts you could get them close to one another. maybe even with just stretching

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Chukkas.jpg
#8 chukkas today

triumphman

Reaction score
I doubt seller is gonna ship it at .99 plus shipping. I wouldn't and would opt for the negative feedback

thebunk

Reaction score
Anyone know who has the best Alden selection in Austin and San Antonio? I am heading there in March for a conference.

Cheers,
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads