• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

neyus

Reaction score
Ed Garry is or was a cross between lowes and tarocash

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Well then good riddance! The style-o-meter for Australia would go up if any of those stores go bust.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus

This, with a dash of Man To Man thrown in for good measure.

Either way, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Massive a trip to Vinnies/Salvos will turn up any number of orphan jackets for like AUD5-25.

I understand it Vinnies, but I don't get it a proper shop. What is the point of an orphaned jacket at any price let alone a grand?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
I understand it Vinnies, but I don't get it a proper shop. What is the point of an orphaned jacket at any price let alone a grand?

For the same reason there are dufuses out there that buy a suit with a jacket they can pair with their jeans. I'm not talking colours either - those guys that buy black suits.

jessis

Reaction score
I've seen one of those Ed Garry stores, on my one and only stroll down one of Australia's pedestrianised city malls. A terrible, terrible memory.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed Harry, just one of many smalltime menswear chains prolifferating shopping malls throughout Australia. Still, their closure signals job losses, and that's never something to celebrate.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I don't get is that whenever a store decides to target the 'middle age men' market, their clothing is always **** fugly.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Ed Harry, just one of many smalltime menswear chains prolifferating shopping malls throughout Australia. Still, their closure signals job losses, and that's never something to celebrate.
Agreed.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessis
Agreed.
From a purely economic point of view, I would rather those workers be employed in a more efficient industry than low-end men's retail anyway. At least with the economy doing well there is more chance of those workers being able to move into another job in another industry.

FWIW I constantly see signs in shops advertising positions vacant for SAs in Sydney... Almost tempted to take on a second job to feed my habit.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
monogram;3360898 said:
... I found another florist close by who was more than happy to oblige me... she even selected the flower and put it in the buttonhole for me(it was a white rose). It was probably a little too big for office wear, I think a bud would have been more suitable. ...

Interested to know what florist you used? In Melbourne conservative business dress? I occasionally take a cornflower for my lapel from a bunch at home when I take the tram but I usually cycle and therefore the flower would be crushed.

In regards to previous discussion regarding cycling to work, I use two panniers and take everything I wear daily - suit, shoes, shirt, boxer shorts, socks, pocket square. We have good showers and a few lockers in the basement (where I leave a towel and toiletries) but I love my wardrobe too much to leave any of it at work. Cycling in in old training clothes then shower and change at work.

Cycling to work makes you feel alive when you arrive, partially because of the adrenaline, partially because you are glad to have survived some of Melbourne's less talented/thoughtful drivers.

Cycling is the right speed for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads