• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osborn
I know I will get a lot of hate for this, but if you need to have shoes resoled then you should not have bought them to start with.

This idea of Goodyear welting being such a great thing as it facilitates resoling is BS AFAIC.

If the soles on your shoes gave up then buy new shoes because the upper will have been gone by that time too (please lets not waist time talking about patinas when the uppers are creased and have lost their original qualities/beauty)

The need to resole is what people who really appreciate shoes live for: a bona fide reason to buy a new pair-not just addiction

PS: EG has been supped up in this forum to high heaven, it is about time a healthy attitude adjustment took place

-1 on all counts. Won't even rise to the bait. B

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not saying you should all agree with me- I am just telling you my point of view

In double sole shoes by the time you need resole the upper will be in a bad shape- no matter how many times you applied the cream, etc

In shoes with ****** soles (sorry but it is true) like most C&J Benchgrades as long as you put some taps on the soles by the time you need resole the upper will be in a bad shape -

note: I hate taps on the heels so if it is the heel that is gone then just get a cheap new heel.

So in anycase there is no use case to really resole the shoe

Again this assumes that you:

1) really care about what the uppers look like
2) Like buying shoes so much that any reason is a good reason to buy new ones

if you do not fall into category 1 or 2 then resole away for the rest of your life- and wait for the compliments on how wonderfull ur soles look like :) like in this fellows case. I mean the money wasted on new soles is like getting your wife a facial plastic surgery when she ages and goes up to 250 pounds in weight

just get rid of her- unless u cant get anything new

What if your wife is still in shape?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not saying you should all agree with me- I am just telling you my point of view

In double sole shoes by the time you need resole the upper will be in a bad shape- no matter how many times you applied the cream, etc

In shoes with ****** soles (sorry but it is true) like most C&J Benchgrades as long as you put some taps on the soles by the time you need resole the upper will be in a bad shape -

note: I hate taps on the heels so if it is the heel that is gone then just get a cheap new heel.

So in anycase there is no use case to really resole the shoe

Again this assumes that you:

1) really care about what the uppers look like
2) Like buying shoes so much that any reason is a good reason to buy new ones

if you do not fall into category 1 or 2 then resole away for the rest of your life- and wait for the compliments on how wonderfull ur soles look like :) like in this fellows case. I mean the money wasted on new soles is like getting your wife a facial plastic surgery when she ages and goes up to 250 pounds in weight

just get rid of her- unless u cant get anything new

Clearly, there is a difference of opinion here, but it's not always the case that as the soles wear out, the uppers age and become unattractive. I have several pairs of shoes that are pretty near the resoling point, but the uppers look fantastic - light creasing, with nice depth of colour to the polish. If you are worried about creasing to the uppers, then you may as well throw your shoes away after you've worn them two or three times.

At the time of his death, my father was still wearing shoes that had been made for him thirty or forty years earlier, and they had each been resoled at least two or three times. They looked fantastic and I desperately wish that they had fitted me as I would have loved to have worn them.

Geezer

Reaction score
I know I will get a lot of hate for this, but if you need to have shoes resoled then you should not have bought them to start with.

This idea of Goodyear welting being such a great thing as it facilitates resoling is BS AFAIC.

If the soles on your shoes gave up then buy new shoes because the upper will have been gone by that time too (please lets not waist time talking about patinas when the uppers are creased and have lost their original qualities/beauty)

The need to resole is what people who really appreciate shoes live for: a bona fide reason to buy a new pair-not just addiction

PS: EG has been supped up in this forum to high heaven, it is about time a healthy attitude adjustment took place

1. Thank you for derailing this potentially useful and interesting thread. The members of the forum will appreciate you for it.

2. You do not have the first threaking idea what you are talking about.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
Mine arrived and even without the bells and whistles I could not be happier. Next time, though, I get the full sole treatment, exactly like bengalstripe got! I am still looking for the before pictures, which will make you understand why I am so happy.
inlove.gif

OMG! Are these my old shoes????

Tomboys

Reaction score

Do you work for Kenneth Cole or Aldo? Just trying to make sense of your post...

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I should hear from her tomorrow.

I am having doubts about this.

You know what was strange is that I was wondering why in the online interview of Tony Gaziano, he never mentions Edward Green as one of the shoemakers he admires even though he worked there before.

It all makes sense now.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I dont intend to get any of my shoes resoled and that is the reason I dont like spending more than 500 uSD on a pair. Use them and then throw them.

Sending a pair from India to the UK with 40 GBP shipping each way and resoling charges doesnt seem worth it when you can get perfectly nice shoes for 500 USD.

Needless to say, everyone's definition of perfectly nice shoes will be different but I am fully satisfied with CH handgrades.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
??????

I didn't realize this was a real question or that a response was needed now that the thread appears to have been hijacked. Unless you are my dad, and I am certain you are not, these are not your old shoes. Now, maybe you had a similar pair of shoes? I don't know, but I have not bought used shoes from you and if I had they were not these as I have had them for quite some time.

Archivist

Reaction score

Cool story, bro.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads