• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
#8 is different than burgundy shell used by most other brands. however, I'm not sure that makes it better, it just makes it different.
I couldn't disagree more. Have you ever seen some other burgundy shoe wear/patina as well as Alden Cordovan Color 8? Color 8 is clearly superior. Just see all the numerous blog posts about vintage Alden Color 8 shoes and how they patina so wonderfully. It's practically legendary.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
I couldn't disagree more. Have you ever seen some other burgundy shoe wear/patina as well as Alden Cordovan Color 8? Color 8 is clearly superior. Just see all the numerous blog posts about vintage Alden Color 8 shoes and how they patina so wonderfully. It's practically legendary.

yes

Color 8 is not some magical unicorn of a color that patina's while other colors won't

below is a picture of 4 shoes of varying ages that were originally burgundy. the PTB, longwing, and loafer are all vintage. look at the color on the loafer compared to the others.

another shot below

IMG_0332.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
I know, but sometimes a deal is too good to pass up. With so many pairs of Alden's (and three more on the way), gotta mix it up once in a while.

zappos?

pthree

Reaction score
Hmm actually my experience was a little different. I thought the DB Longwing fit more true to size, rather than 1/2 size larger like the Berrie.

It's been a while since I've tried those on though!

Originally Posted by zippyh
Pretty similar sizing. The DB being slightly narrower than the same size Barrie.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding lasts, how do the modified, aberdeen, plaza, and hampton Alden lasts fit compared with the Barrie or Trubalance?

I find I'm an 8.5 D on the Barrier and also the Trubalance. Should I size differently for the above lasts?

Also, what are the differences between them?

pthree

Reaction score
I believe it's 3/16" but don't quote me on that.
wink.gif

Thanks, the quote from imatlas seems to verify that as well! I'm assuming this is width only. How about the difference in length between sizes?

Jorge

Reaction score
Thanks, that helps a bit I guess.
There's really no substitute for trying them on, I've experienced variation between Alden shoes of the same model, and size. (I know that's not what anyone wants to hear.)

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps a bit I guess.

Want an honest answer? No matter what anyone tells you on this forum you will not know how each really fits your foot until you actually have the shoes on your feet. That sizing chart is a very good rule of thumb, however, your size is going to also vary depending on arch height, heel width, toe length, etc., etc.

So your options?

1) Buy from a store with a good return policy. If not, just be prepared to lose hundreds of dollars on sizing errors (which is not uncommon around here).

2) Keep an eye on eBay for deals, so if the sizing is wrong your losses won't be quite as harsh.

3) Go to a store with a large selection and spend a few hours trying shoes on to see what works best.

I will also add another frustrating factor; it usually takes multiple wears to determine whether the last actually works on your foot.

And I know some people will be scratching their heads reading this and think I am full of ****, but just ask the guys who have been in the Alden game for a long time and I bet they would generally agree.

Remember, Alden has shoes on different lasts partly because different lasts are made for different feet.

Do some research on Alden. They got their start, and still are in the orthopedic shoe business. They are not a Nike or dare I venture to say Allen Edmonds type manufacturer that produces shoes that will pretty much work on everyones feet. It takes time to find a last that really works for you, but when you do you will be happy for years to come.

Ok, I will get off my high horse now, as it's prime and ready to be turned into some shell, haha.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Want an honest answer? No matter what anyone tells you on this forum you will not know how each really fits your foot until you actually have the shoes on your feet. That sizing chart is a very good rule of thumb, however, your size is going to also vary depending on arch height, heel width, toe length, etc., etc.

So your options?

1) Buy from a store with a good return policy. If not, just be prepared to lose hundreds of dollars on sizing errors (which is not uncommon around here).

2) Keep an eye on eBay for deals, so if the sizing is wrong your losses won't be quite as harsh.

3) Go to a store with a large selection and spend a few hours trying shoes on to see what works best.

I will also add another frustrating factor; it usually takes multiple wears to determine whether the last actually works on your foot.

And I know some people will be scratching their heads reading this and think I am full of ****, but just ask the guys who have been in the Alden game for a long time and I bet they would generally agree.

Remember, Alden has shoes on different lasts partly because different lasts are made for different feet.

Do some research on Alden. They got their start, and still are in the orthopedic shoe business. They are not a Nike or dare I venture to say Allen Edmonds type manufacturer that produces shoes that will pretty much work on everyones feet. It takes time to find a last that really works for you, but when you do you will be happy for years to come.

Ok, I will get off my high horse now, as it's prime and ready to be turned into some shell, haha.

I own Aldens on the Barrie last and Trubalance last, both in 8.5D and both seem to fit me well. But I'm still curious how I should size for other lasts? The same or differently?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not supposed to wear every last they make -- that is the point of having different lasts.

triumphman

Reaction score
There has been so many posts regarding sizing. Please do some research first...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads