• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outfit for Graduation Night Dinner & Dance (updated with pics)

Azzurri

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some advice for my outfit for the graduation dinner. Posted some pics of the outfit below. What I've thought of so far: Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket White French Cuff Shirt Black Dress Pants Black Velvet Bowtie Black Lace-ups
IMG_3967.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg
Can't decide on these two pocket squares either.
IMG_3969.jpg
The boutonniere is done but I think it's kinda overwhelming..
IMG_3971.jpg
Looking forward to hearing some opinions. Thanks!

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably high school if he's going with a midnight purple pimp velvet jacket.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, you'll probably take some gruff around here but for what you're doing I think it'll look great.

My general rule with formalish wear is to stick pretty close to the uniform, but if you want to make a break (like say a Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket), make that the one deviation. If you start adding things on top of one another it starts to get garish. A polka dot bowtie with it would be too much IMO.

I'd say plain black bow tie and patent laceups.

JMHO.

kannoos

Reaction score
What is midnight purple, exactly? Is it "blacker than black", like midnight blue?

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
What are you graduating from?

College.

Originally Posted by GBear
Probably high school if he's going with a midnight purple pimp velvet jacket.

Conformity is not my thing.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Honestly, you'll probably take some gruff around here but for what you're doing I think it'll look great.

My general rule with formalish wear is to stick pretty close to the uniform, but if you want to make a break (like say a Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket), make that the one deviation. If you start adding things on top of one another it starts to get garish. A polka dot bowtie with it would be too much IMO.

JMHO.

Thanks for your opinion, will probably take this route.

Originally Posted by kannoos
What is midnight purple, exactly? Is it "blacker than black", like midnight blue?

Sorry I meant dark purple. Not darker than black but a darker shade of the normal purple you see.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, midnight blue is already a standard (although in velvet the light would give you a halo that certainly wasn't blacker than black).

Anyway, if you're putting together a tux, go the full 9 yards. Even a standard tux at an unstandard time is making a big statement without breaking the rules of the uniform.

AncientSoul

Reaction score
If you have a hot date then wear something that comes off easily.
lookaround.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azzurri
Hey guys, need some advice for my outfit for the graduation dinner.

What I've thought of so far:
Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket
White French Cuff Shirt
Black Dress Pants

I'm unsure if I should go for a silk black polka-dotted bow tie or a plain black velvet one to match the jacket. And should I go with black wingtips or patent lace ups?

Looking forward to hearing some opinions.

Thanks!

Which university - there is normally a firm code at respectable universities. High Schools and lesser places tend to indulge fancy dress such as that you are proposing.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Which university - there is normally a firm code at respectable universities. High Schools and lesser places tend to indulge fancy dress such as that you are proposing.

I'm studying in Singapore, where dress codes and fashion sense is not one of our strongest points (trust me on this) so I doubt there will be a firm code on this one.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, the people who can pull off coloured velvet jackets tend to be the people who never need to ask whether they can.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano

JMHO.

+1

The younger you are, the more you can get away with deviations (until you become much older, wealthy, and eccentric that is) so enjoy all sorts of them now, while you have the energy.
smile.gif

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azzurri
I'm studying in Singapore, where dress codes and fashion sense is not one of our strongest points (trust me on this) so I doubt there will be a firm code on this one.
Not at NUS by any chance? I studied there for a brief stint on my study abroad a few summers back. I agree with what everyone else has said. If you are going to have a piece as loud as a purple velvet dinner jacket, then make the rest of your outfit as a subtle and understated as possible.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
Not at NUS by any chance? I studied there for a brief stint on my study abroad a few summers back. I agree with what everyone else has said. If you are going to have a piece as loud as a purple velvet dinner jacket, then make the rest of your outfit as a subtle and understated as possible.

Nope, I'm graduating from Singapore Polytechnic. Anyway how was your experience at NUS?

Ok duly noted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads