• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit shoulder pad question

stugots945

Reaction score
Hey gang. Glad to have found this forum. Great stuff. First off, I own one suit and rarely need to wear them. So I know very little. I am buying a black suit to wear at my wedding. I got an amazing discount on a Hugo Boss red label suit. I have read some so-so things about this suit on the forum. But please keep in mind that for me, it won't be worn a lot. So it's hard for me to justify spending tons of money on it. For example, I love the look of the Ralph Lauren black label. But for somebody who wears it so little, that's $1000 I'll be saving. The reason I like these two suits is that I like an ultra slim fit.

My only concern about the suit is the shoulder pads. When I stand straight with my arms at the side, it looks perfect. But if I move around or put my hands in my pockets, it looks like the fabric folds under the shoulder pad a bit, especially on the right shoulder. It kinda has that pointy look. How normal is this? When is it too much? And can any work be done on the shoulder pads (tailoring, pressing, etc.) to remedy it? For all I know this is just part of wearing a suit. I also realize that unless a suit is custom made, there are little things you have to live with it.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Shoulders are too wide.

Can be fixed by a tailor but is very expensive.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not having a picture, I cannot give you much advice.

Probably not normal, but probably very normal for Boss red label.
Any tailoring is not worth it. No pressing will solve the issue.

Unfortunately, you'll probably just have to live with it. But now you know. Unless you can return it, which I would.

stugots945

Reaction score
I can return it actually. I don't have the suit yet so I can't put a pic up. But you guys are saying that basically I should be able to lift my arm to the side and not have any material fold under it?

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stugots945
I can return it actually. I don't have the suit yet so I can't put a pic up. But you guys are saying that basically I should be able to lift my arm to the side and not have any material fold under it?
I've consistently found that my SF-approved fits (40R) are nearly uncomfortable to wear (much harder to lift arms up). These, in particular:
IMG_0584.jpg
1000000357.JPG

OTOH, I typically get grief for the following jacket shoulders, yet I find them much more comfortable (41R and 42R):
1000000285.JPG
1000000379.JPG
1000000208.JPG

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ acrid,
The first pics look like the chest is really tight. But the shoulders in the subsequent pictures look like they extend past your shoulder.

Of course, the shoulders appear to fit well in the first pics, and look too large in the last ones.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The key is finding a suit that fits your chest the way you like, however also has narrower shoulders and high armholes. With ready to wear a more generous chest with shoulders that are not too wide rarely come with high armholes.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders can be fixed. My tailor has de-padded and reduced the size of shoulders on many jackets and suits. If they are too small, then you are hosed.

Mike

stugots945

Reaction score
I went back and tried some jackets again, this time at the Boss store rather than Bloomingdales. The guy there thinks the jacket looks perfect as well and said that the red label does tend to have a more definite shoulder pad. I think it's all right.

But now I have concerns about the suit in general. Mainly because I discovered the suit I bought is a stock fabric and for a couple hundred more I can get a really nice super 120 thread count. Unfortunately, there's a slight length difference in the jackets between these models. Anybody know how the Astro/Hill compares to the Aikonen Hol? I'm sure it's probably best suited for another thread, but I figured what the hell...

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...LinkType=PDPZ1

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...xx.esn_results

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
didnt your mother tell you, "keep your hands out of your pockets". act like a gentleman.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went back and tried some jackets again, this time at the Boss store rather than Bloomingdales. The guy there thinks the jacket looks perfect as well and said that the red label does tend to have a more definite shoulder pad. I think it's all right.

But now I have concerns about the suit in general. Mainly because I discovered the suit I bought is a stock fabric and for a couple hundred more I can get a really nice super 120 thread count. Unfortunately, there's a slight length difference in the jackets between these models. Anybody know how the Astro/Hill compares to the Aikonen Hol? I'm sure it's probably best suited for another thread, but I figured what the hell...

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...LinkType=PDPZ1

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...xx.esn_results

Boss isn't much loved for the quality/price round here. I kinda like the roped shoulders on the second suit though.

stugots945

Reaction score
Some more good news. Bloomies has the other suit in my size and will exchange it with the same discount. So I have my choice here. All opinions are welcome. Shoulder issue seems to be in the past now, just wondering if the Aikonen is going to have the same slim fit as the Astro. I know the thread quality is better on the Aikonen.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some more good news. Bloomies has the other suit in my size and will exchange it with the same discount. So I have my choice here. All opinions are welcome. Shoulder issue seems to be in the past now, just wondering if the Aikonen is going to have the same slim fit as the Astro. I know the thread quality is better on the Aikonen.
Alright, but don't spend 40 bucks of gas on a 200 dollar suit. EDIT: AHh, it's an 800 dollar suit. Better get it just the way you want it.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. Glad to have found this forum. Great stuff. First off, I own one suit and rarely need to wear them. So I know very little. I am buying a black suit to wear at my wedding. I got an amazing discount on a Hugo Boss red label suit. I have read some so-so things about this suit on the forum. But please keep in mind that for me, it won't be worn a lot. So it's hard for me to justify spending tons of money on it. For example, I love the look of the Ralph Lauren black label. But for somebody who wears it so little, that's $1000 I'll be saving. The reason I like these two suits is that I like an ultra slim fit.

My only concern about the suit is the shoulder pads. When I stand straight with my arms at the side, it looks perfect. But if I move around or put my hands in my pockets, it looks like the fabric folds under the shoulder pad a bit, especially on the right shoulder. It kinda has that pointy look. How normal is this? When is it too much? And can any work be done on the shoulder pads (tailoring, pressing, etc.) to remedy it? For all I know this is just part of wearing a suit. I also realize that unless a suit is custom made, there are little things you have to live with it.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Have a look here and here and here

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads