• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Ravello is nice but too close to these J Crews to be worth the extra. These are $470.: http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_si...olor=undefined http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/we...lden/18582.jsp The Ravello is like $670.
eh, you could say the same for burgundy calf vs burgundy shell. the color is similar, but everything else is different.
Color 8 is more appealing and classy/classic IMO. If you have no Cordovan, it's the first must have Cordovan over all else. I would not even consider a longwing Cordovan in another lower brand, they are not the same quality and are not even the original Alden Color 8, which is special and unique to Alden.
high end vintage Florsheim and Hanover aren't lower end brands, and many folks thinks they are better than current Alden. I have a pair of Florsheim shell longwings that are awesome. I just bought a pair of NOS Hanover shell longwings that I bought for 1/3 of the price of new Aldens. but you can't find (I don't think) these old stock shoes in whiskey or ravello or cigar also, #8 is different than burgundy shell used by most other brands. however, I'm not sure that makes it better, it just makes it different. also also, Ron Rider uses #8 cordovan

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I didn't, because the email stipulated in store purchases only...and i don't know if it applies to the Aldens.

Emailed WP and the answer was in-store only. Proxy is the way to go.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here from the Portland area willing to act as a proxy for me in regard to the Winn Perry sale?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where? How's the sizing on those compared to Alden? Ie., do they also run a half size large?

ebay.

I don't mean to say deals like that are particularly easy to find or very common. but they are out there if you are very patient and/or aren't in a big hurry. of course, you often need to be nearly as patient to be a cigar or ravello style in the style you want, which is why I would advice buying one of those if you can

pthree

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much more length and width (in inches) are added for every half size up in the Barrie last? Assuming a constant width of D.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to size a Florsheim x Duckie Brown longwing in comparison to a Barrie lasted longwing?

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Leather Soul Snuff suede Hampton wingtip they could post pictures of. I am debating on adding it ot my pre-order. thanks.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Does anyone know how to size a Florsheim x Duckie Brown longwing in comparison to a Barrie lasted longwing?

Pretty similar sizing. The DB being slightly narrower than the same size Barrie.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pthree
Does anyone know how much more length and width (in inches) are added for every half size up in the Barrie last? Assuming a constant width of D.

Originally Posted by 100 yrs
just ordered a tan unlined suede chukka from the SF Alden store. didn't catch his name, but the guy on the phone was super nice to talk to and very helpful.

i asked him some general questions about last variation and fit. he told me there is a 3/16" difference between between widths (i.e. a D is 3/16" wider than an C, and an E is 3/16" wider than a D). also, for the barrie last, as 8.5E is wider than a 9D. he also said told me that a 9D leydon would very fit similar to a 9C barrie. i've had a tough time with finding the right combo of proper heel fit and proper toe fit in barrie lasted shoes, and haven't tried on a C, so that was interesting to hear.

also, i think i'll be putting my AF32s in 9E that i got from Alden of Carmel (http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...do_Sole_88.htm) up for sale soon. so nice and a perfect shoe for my style, they are just a bit too roomy and thus i don't wear as often as i should. thought i'd toss it out here first.

Originally Posted by phantomx48

Infidel!

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Infidel!

I know, but sometimes a deal is too good to pass up. With so many pairs of Alden's (and three more on the way), gotta mix it up once in a while.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pthree

I believe it's 3/16" but don't quote me on that.
wink.gif

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in parting with color 8 lhs loafers size 8.5D give me a holler.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velomane
Would you consider a 9C?

Although the width probably would be good, they might be a bit long. 8.5D fits perfect, so I would hate to deviate, but thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads