• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldforge
I think the modern 'style blogger' emphasis on staples, Brooks Brothers, J Press, Steve McQueen, Cary Grant, etc., produces a really boring wardrobe. A lot of people end up feeling like it's their responsibility to get a pair of Sperrys, a pair of Clarks, a pair of PF Flyers, a J Press OCBD, a BB blazer, a Land's End down vest"”and they end up with one of everything and no character in the bunch. Me, I've got nothing against Land's End vests, but a closet full of staples leaves a pretty dull palette.

i agree.
but the problem doesn't begin/end with bloggers. a lot of people think "if i am going to buy something then i need to be able to wear it a lot to justify the cost" and i understand that. things can be interesting but "staple" if it's freaked right.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
So my question for you is... where/how do you guys find your aesthetic direction? Is this something you proactively think about as you edit your wardrobe or buy new things? Do you have a certain look/style in mind? I'm highly considering just picking one specific type of 'look' and adding in a few anchoring pieces plus dropping out a few that are inconsistent.

thoughts?

The way I do it is
1) figure out 3 or 4 looks you want to be able to sport on the regular
2) figure out what pieces have a place in multiple ideal looks
3) buy them. They are now your "wardrobe staples."
4) buy other stuff to fill your looks out
5) proceed onward. Keep your mind open to new things.

And honestly you don't have to pick an aesthetic, or spend all your time being cohesive. Mix and match, stay loose and creative.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
better idea: 1) Read too much 2) Construct an interior fantasy world in which you are regent, authorial god-figure, and shiva-destroyer 3) Sort through endless mounds of **** on the internet in an effort to dress as a mythical figure from the aforementioned fantasy world. Some prime candidates: Pwyll, Lord Of Dyved; Gwalchmai, arguably first and oldest of the round table; Paul Atreides, better-know as Muad'dib, the greatest failure and achievement of the Bene Gesserit witches and the Prophet of the Fremen; the protagonist from The Cask of Amontillado, or potentially Nicholas Urfe 200 years in the future. 4) Forgo the question marks 5) Profit!!!!!11one!!

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fishtail arrived today. Somehow managed to get all kinds of fuzzy particles all over it in the course over the course of the day. Will attempt to shoot video WAYWT for contest tomorrow morning. Not sure if I should try and hunt down a lint roll between now and then or just rock the fishtail with dusty **** on it. :embarrassed:

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I thought I had solid fantasy chops, but you're kicking ****** all over the place. When I was a fantasy reader I only ever wanted to look like the musician Beck circa Mutations, or maybe Morpheus from Sandman.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
moving is when you really realize how much useless **** you have

really liberating to throw / sell it all away!!

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
really liberating to throw / sell it all away!!

wish I lived in the states at this moment because shipping costs more than what I'd get for selling most of what I need to sell
frown.gif

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Man I thought I had solid fantasy chops, but you're kicking ****** all over the place. When I was a fantasy reader I only ever wanted to look like the musician Beck circa Mutations, or maybe Morpheus from Sandman.
I still want to look like a character from a William Gibson novel (not cayce pollard). I just need some black leather fingerless gloves, DRKSHDW Jeans and Shirts with the logos of Japanese Megacorporations to go with my ToJ leather and Combat boots. Then i'll be able to hang with he street samurai and the console cowboys all up and down the BAMA sprawl.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my question for you is... where/how do you guys find your aesthetic direction? Is this something you proactively think about as you edit your wardrobe or buy new things? Do you have a certain look/style in mind? I'm highly considering just picking one specific type of 'look' and adding in a few anchoring pieces plus dropping out a few that are inconsistent.
Yes. Choose a look that is so specific that it is easy to determine what does or does not fit. Say, for instance, you want to look like a 19th Century New England sea captain, there are only so many available garments that fit the bill. Makes it easy to ignore everything else.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys. I think I've come to where I am partly because of the strong adherence to SF groupthink... so inevitably I've got the boat shoes, check, desert boots, check, navy blazer (street blogger check), scarfs (damn you bloggers!), etc...

anyway, I'm just sort of thinking this out and curious if anyone has feedback. I've posted below some pics of what I currently work with and then a few 'looks' that I like. What I'm looking for is
1. Any feedback on the general looks/concepts... I know it's totally personal, and please excuse my amateur attempts at finding a wardrobe personality. I'm not in the fashion scene so I've done my best here to put together a few cohesive looks...
2. Any other pictures, posters, brand names, etc you think fit with that aesthetic and more importantly which particular brands you think will encapsulate that image nicely. What will be the defining anchor pieces to that look?
3. other?
4. Thanks y'all.

I'm currently leaning towards some sort of mix between

What I'm currently looking like: (not my pics obviously, this is just my general look)
greycardiganwhitevnecks.jpg

slimjacketandjeansovera.jpg

Where I think I might want to go:

"Dressy Casual':
greysportscoatblueshirt.jpg

navysportscoatgreyvestb.png

styletiesweaterleatherj.jpg

"Prep":
blackpolotuckedribbonbe.jpg

jcrewkhakis.jpg

redshirtbeigeslimkhakie.jpg

styleandcolorswhitepane.jpg
[/SPOILER]

"Military":
asosmarevintageacneship.jpg

brownleatherjacket16100.jpg

greenmilitaryjacketeaso.jpg

militarysweaterludeykru.jpg
[/SPOILER]

"Runway Casual":
beigecardiganwhiteshirt.jpg

charcoalcardiganwhitesh.jpg

excellentfitandstylepin.jpg

lanvinmostlysq4you.jpg

"Urban/Grunge":
brownjacketscarfbagandj.jpg

brownleatherjacketlight.jpg

greycardiganbeigepantsw.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
laziest answer ever, seriously.

j/k obviously

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys. I think I've come to where I am partly because of the strong adherence to SF groupthink... so inevitably I've got the boat shoes, check, desert boots, check, navy blazer (street blogger check), scarfs (damn you bloggers!), etc...

anyway, I'm just sort of thinking this out and curious if anyone has feedback. I've posted below some pics of what I currently work with and then a few 'looks' that I like. What I'm looking for is
1. Any feedback on the general looks/concepts... I know it's totally personal, and please excuse my amateur attempts at finding a wardrobe personality. I'm not in the fashion scene so I've done my best here to put together a few cohesive looks...
2. Any other pictures, posters, brand names, etc you think fit with that aesthetic and more importantly which particular brands you think will encapsulate that image nicely. What will be the defining anchor pieces to that look?
3. other?
4. Thanks y'all.

I'm currently leaning towards some sort of mix between

What I'm currently looking like: (not my pics obviously, this is just my general look)
greycardiganwhitevnecks.jpg

slimjacketandjeansovera.jpg

Where I think I might want to go:

"Dressy Casual':
greysportscoatblueshirt.jpg

navysportscoatgreyvestb.png

styletiesweaterleatherj.jpg
[/SPOILER]

"Prep":
blackpolotuckedribbonbe.jpg

jcrewkhakis.jpg

redshirtbeigeslimkhakie.jpg

styleandcolorswhitepane.jpg
[/SPOILER]

"Military":
asosmarevintageacneship.jpg

brownleatherjacket16100.jpg

greenmilitaryjacketeaso.jpg

militarysweaterludeykru.jpg

"Runway Casual":
beigecardiganwhiteshirt.jpg

charcoalcardiganwhitesh.jpg

excellentfitandstylepin.jpg

lanvinmostlysq4you.jpg

"Urban/Grunge":
brownjacketscarfbagandj.jpg

brownleatherjacketlight.jpg

greycardiganbeigepantsw.jpg
fyi imageshack.us is ******* horrible and forces the rest of the world to register and log in to view pictures hosted on their site (there are more reasons why they are horrible but that is some old, old drama)

use http://www.imgur.com or something instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads