• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
The forum has been running very slow for me the past two weeks. This seems to be a chronic problem here that I don't encounter anywhere else.

I think two things need to be done:

1. Move to a faster host. Clearly they are not getting the job done.

2. Upgrade the vBulletin software. 3.6.4 is very out of date by now and with the volume of pics here I think that is an issue. Some forums allow you to do a setting where pics cannot be requoted. That might work well here.

Unfortunately there are not enough members present to make a quorum, so no action will be taken until the situation can be rectified.
confused.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm promoting using the spoiler tags in wayw's... not sure if that helps solve the problem though

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I'm promoting using the spoiler tags in wayw's... not sure if that helps solve the problem though

I agree that spoiler tags are useful in cutting down on the visual noise and redundancy of a page.

However, they do nothing to eliminate server load. Database load is likely a far more limiting factor for SF than web server load, and in any case, most images are hosted off-site.
If people find that pages with lots of pictures load slowly for them, it's a local problem with their client, but even that should be rare as many repetitions of the same image should not cause additional work for the client either.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
I agree that spoiler tags are useful in cutting down on the visual noise and redundancy of a page.

However, they do nothing to eliminate server load. Database load is likely a far more limiting factor for SF than web server load, and in any case, most images are hosted off-site.
If people find that pages with lots of pictures load slowly for them, it's a local problem with their client, but even that should be rare as many repetitions of the same image should not cause additional work for the client either.

We are moving to a new software and new server in the next few months, so not much will be done before that. I will optimize the database soon and see if that helps at all, but probably no major changes will be made.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I like the Doom II sound effect at the very end.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
We are moving to a new software and new server in the next few months, so not much will be done before that. I will optimize the database soon and see if that helps at all, but probably no major changes will be made.

Will the new software have a mobile view?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why was ******** size poll on H&B deleted? It wasn't offensive and certainly fell within the range of other penis-related discussions on that forum.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Will the new software have a mobile view?
Yes, it will have (a) mobile version(s).
Originally Posted by Rambo
And a real-time MantonMeter™?
No, it should not need one. Or we can make one that just points to 'freely liberate' or whatever the 'good' side of the MantonMeter is.
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Why was ******** size poll on H&B deleted? It wasn't offensive and certainly fell within the range of other penis-related discussions on that forum.
I kinda want to ban you for asking this.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NSFW spammer on the loose.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Reported him and hope you get him before he breaks 100.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
godam! user Kler_chuffet going nuts with the, um, nuts and other NSFW crap. Listen here buddy, teh non-gayz are alergic to nut mkay?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
godam! user Kler_chuffet going nuts with the, um, nuts and other NSFW crap. Listen here buddy, teh non-gayz are alergic to nut mkay?

+1

Opened the Sociology thread and went right to his spam. I'm surrounded by co-workers. :|

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

J, are you upgrading to VB4 or going to a different forum software?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads