• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much length can I take off this jacket?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much length can I take off without ruining the over all balance of the jacket? I know that generally people wouldn't go pass 1" I thought I ask for some opinions since it seems as though there might be more than 1" to work with on this jacket(31 inch from bottom collar to hem!)
IMG_6621.jpg

IMG_6620.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

Given that I'm a pretty slender guy, I want to slim the jacket down in terms of the chest,waist,sleeve. I want some useful recommendation from you guys on how dramatic it needs to be. If you guys can give some specific comments (ie 3 inches off the waist..2 inches off length etc...)
Thanks SF fellas!!
Here is a close shot of the texture if anybody cares.
1311skinny2.JPG

emptym

Reaction score
1.5 inches off the bottom sounds good to me too, but a good tailor would have the decisive word. I wouldn't mess with the waist, unless the coat billows out in the back, since the front looks good.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you lefthanded?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Somewhere between 1 3/8" and 1 5/8"
teacha.gif

You could have the fronts reshaped to be a bit more open at the same time.

Archibald Longfellow

Reaction score
One of my bosses is a big suit man. He told me that the general rule is that the jacket should end in line with the knuckles while your arm is by your side.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Somewhere between 1 3/8" and 1 5/8"
teacha.gif

That's strangely specific. Any particular reason? I trust your judgement since you clearly know a hell of a lot more about tailoring than anyone else I can name on these boards, but I am curious to know you logic.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Essentially that means 1.5"
smile.gif

To the OP

It's long but it's not that bad.

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archibald Longfellow
One of my bosses is a big suit man. He told me that the general rule is that the jacket should end in line with the knuckles while your arm is by your side.

That 'rule' doesn't work at all, because the ratio of height to arm length is wildly variable.

It's simple for everyone who isn't exceptionally tall or long-legged: the back of the jacket covers up your posterior and no more.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pics I would suggest at the knuckle of your thumb. That still gives plenty of room up to your pocket flaps but isn't too short.

BTW, I've done this on several jackets myself.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
That 'rule' doesn't work at all, because the ratio of height to arm length is wildly variable.

It's simple for everyone who isn't exceptionally tall or long-legged: the back of the jacket covers up your posterior and no more.

Actually, I don't think that's true. I was once told (and tend to believe) that a person's arm span is roughly the same as their height. Now, the ratio of arm length to torso length can vary considerably, I'll give you that.

In the above case, I'd say 1.5-2in. The pockets look very high on that particular jacket and therefore some extra can come off. If you remove the flaps, I'd say you can definitely take off 2 if so desired.

Besides the length, I think the biggest issue with that jacket is how baggy the sleeves are, which hopefully the tailor can take care of.

Gent

Reaction score
It has a decidedly long silhouette, so there's room to shorten it at least to a fairly "classic" length. I doubt you'll be making a balanced yet modern, short jacket out of it, but other than that yo can work with it.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja

It's long but it's not that bad.

It is long and it is bad. Despite the backlash on this forum to shorter jackets, longer than usual jackets definitely look frumpier and just plain uglier than slightly shorter than usual jackets.

Lucky for you, you seem to have a slim build. A shorter slimmer jacket could easily be pulled off by you without anyone giving you a second look.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Are you lefthanded?

I am right handed. I'm not sure what this question is relevant to the wrinkleness of my right upper sleeve. That'd be my only guess.

Originally Posted by Despos

How does one to "reshape the front a bit more open?" What procedure is that?

Originally Posted by TimelesStyle

In the above case, I'd say 1.5-2in. The pockets look very high on that particular jacket and therefore some extra can come off. If you remove the flaps, I'd say you can definitely take off 2 if so desired.

Besides the length, I think the biggest issue with that jacket is how baggy the sleeves are, which hopefully the tailor can take care of.

Two points you've made were what I had in mind. 1)The bagginess of my sleeves, and 2) Length

I know the above photos probably isn't the best sleeve demonstration, but generally how much is ideal for slimming the jacket sleeves? 0.5" to 1"?
Also, in terms of jacket length, you were right about the high flap pocket position. Since it's a stitch on, you gave me the idea of having the flap position 0.5" higher and that will in return allowing me to bring up the jacket 2 inches, hopefully will still be in balance with the button stance as a whole piece.
Now, that is either a super bad idea, or a genius idea.

Thanks all for your feedback gentleman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads