• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern art is like modern poetry; has no rhyme, no mastery and no passion.
Garbage in - garbage out.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Modern art is like modern poetry; has no rhyme, no mastery and no passion.
Garbage in - garbage out.

InbeforeMatt

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
fwiw, some of her work is really divisive. certain people would leave the gallery visibly pissed off and others would leave on the verge of tears. when i was younger i worked a little while at MoCA and saw the same crowd response to a Rothko exhibit, and on another occasion to a Matthew Barney screening.

another one of her pieces looks like a bunch of rocks hanging from the ceiling with a mirror on the floor. but the rocks are meteorites and their distance from the floor and from each other is a scale model of those same distances for the component stars of the big dipper. the formation is only visible when you stand over the mirror and look down at it.

We used to call these "installations" museum dioramas. I have seen some pretty cool ones but I have never been visibly shaken or brought to the verge of tears by one. Most were self explanatory: The reptiles of the Mississippi, the struggle for Little Round Top, Parrots of the Amazon. I confess I could stare at that rock glued to the pane of glass for a thousand years and never have it dawn on me that it was some kind of Spacerock/pyramid version of God reaching out to touch Adam on the ceiling of the sistine chapel.

Do they give you a backstory on these kinds of things? Is there a helpful attendant to give you clues or do you just have to pull this stuff out of your own ass and hope that the experience doesnt leave you in a rage or emotionally desolate?

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like that Fred Sandback piece.

Also, really like Tomory Dodge, thanks to whoever posted his work.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this work or, better yet, this signature?
redface.gif
eprqrr.jpg
2r450xs.jpg

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
We used to call these "installations" museum dioramas. I have seen some pretty cool ones but I have never been visibly shaken or brought to the verge of tears by one. Most were self explanatory: The reptiles of the Mississippi, the struggle for Little Round Top, Parrots of the Amazon. I confess I could stare at that rock glued to the pane of glass for a thousand years and never have it dawn on me that it was some kind of Spacerock/pyramid version of God reaching out to touch Adam on the ceiling of the sistine chapel.

Do they give you a backstory on these kinds of things? Is there a helpful attendant to give you clues or do you just have to pull this stuff out of your own ass and hope that the experience doesnt leave you in a rage or emotionally desolate?

don't know what to tell you, red. there's no real manual for this stuff and the relationships i mentioned were just part of what the artist used to create a narrative for her work. they aren't necessarily intended to force a response on the viewer, although it's generally not too hard to find out more about certain works that you are curious about. if you think the only artwork worth looking at is painterly and figurative, there's nothing wrong with that, it just means that you will be more limited in what you enjoy. only thing i'd add is to be aware that most cultures have never considered the value of art to be tied to realism, and also that many of our revered old masters attained their status by being heretically dismissive of the traditional forms of their era.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
went to see a Robert Heinecken show last weekend. never seen his stuff in person, and I loved it. almost all of it seems incredibly current, despite having been made 60s-90s.
RH_FigurePartsHair_Web.jpg
RH_Study20_Web.jpg
RH_3.gif

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Moredai, I like your selections. Never heard of Sandback but I love it. I'm a fan of most 60s/70s minimalism/conceptualism. Torres is one of my favorites, too.

laugh.gif

rambo, the meteorite landed at about the same time that the pyramids were going up. the artist didn't intend any narrow interpretation of the piece, but basically the formal concept involved the idea of something rising towards space (the star alignment shafts of the Great Pyramid are specifically relevant) and something falling from space. there's more that can be said about it, but i don't want to write another paragraph right now.

she's really cute if that helps.

I like this. But, I also got a "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks" vibe.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Moredai, I like your selections. Never heard of Sandback but I love it. I'm a fan of most 60s/70s minimalism/conceptualism. Torres is one of my favorites, too. I like this. But, I also got a "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks" vibe.
lol. i hadn't thought of that. nice regarding sandback, he is probably my favorite male sculptor of the past century. in person his works are incredibly fragile and moving, pretty much the opposite of all recent sculpture aside from eva hesse and louise bourgeois and a few others. see them if you can. asa nisi masa
fred-sandback-sandback_k.jpg
Fred_Sandback_installation.jpg
sanfr0301%20Untitled%20(Ten%20Part%20vertical%20construction)%201991.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to the Armory Show/VOLTA/PULSE/Scope?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one of my favorites too. there are two of those pieces. during the show, they were leaning on each side of one of the gallery walls.

_MG_0429.jpg

_MG_0411.jpg

Campo del Cielo I & Campo del Cielo II, 2010

meteorite, magnet, glass

72 x 24 x 8 inches each

What do you guys find aesthetically pleasing about this, ****** question to ask, but I just don't find myself visually drawn to that. FWIW, I have enjoyed the limited exposure to modern art, so it isn't that whole thing.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
What do you guys find aesthetically pleasing about this, ****** question to ask, but I just don't find myself visually drawn to that. FWIW, I have enjoyed the limited exposure to modern art, so it isn't that whole thing.

i think it's a beautiful piece, but it can be hard to describe why. i find the forms, shapes, and textures appealing. aside from that, it looks like an asteroid in space and implies motion, but is set motionless inside of a fragile piece of glass. for me, there's something incredibly pleasing and whimsical about the unlikeliness of it all.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think it's a beautiful piece, but it can be hard to describe why. i find the forms, shapes, and textures appealing. aside from that, it looks like an asteroid in space and implies motion, but is set motionless inside of a fragile piece of glass. for me, there's something incredibly pleasing and whimsical about the unlikeliness of it all.

Yeah, it is hard to answer that question w/o sounding like a douchey art writer, that is why I thought it was a ****** question to ask over the net. It is also difficult to fully enjoy a something like that through a computer monitor. I find it much easier to appreciate the more geometric/proportional pieces that have been posted thus far. I didn't know if you or Matt could articulate what you enjoyed about that.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would be cooler if there were a series of vertical glass plates with holes in them, suggesting that the meteorite had smashed through them. And then the meteorite could be lodged in the wall.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** I can't believe I just posted my million dollar idea on the internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics