• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Thanks for both answers. My next question is more specific. I measure out to a 38 l. As far ad I can tell, virtually no on makes suits in this size. I am looking to spend around 500. Am I doomed to online m2m? My measurements. Chest: 37.5 in Shoulders:18-18.5 (I'm not quite sure if i'm doing this one correctly sleeves: 26 in (I don't have a good suit to get this measurement off of but I think this is right) Jacket length: 31 in. From what I can tell, I my shoulders may fit in some 40l, but will leave a lot of room in the chest for me to tailor. So my two questions are Can I tailor 2 to 3 inches off the chest without destroying how the jacket looks Or Can anyone tell me where to get a 38l suit for 500 or so
So I never really got a solid answer on my first question, whether a tailor can take 2 to 3 off the chest of a jacket with out killing it? Any more help. And thanks to those who were .helping before.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you start large alterations the cost starts to out weigh any benefit.

Unless the jacket is free you're often better off just going MTM.

In theory anything can be done. The thing you need to consider is it worth it.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMSBNSN
Would it be a style faux pas to wear a casual jacket and pants that are the same color? (In my case, khaki harrington with khaki pants) And if so, should I buy a darker khaki harrington? Or would that also be a bad look?
Generally speaking, a jacket should not be the same color as your trousers unless you're wearing a suit. There may be some exceptions for jackets that are sufficiently lighter or darker than your trousers, but if you have to ask, you probably don't yet have the knack to do it without it looking off.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
Shoe N00b question

I'm looking at getting some real dress shoes. (At Sky Valet) I notice that EG is almost $1000 new, and Crockett is relatively cheap.

Is Edward Green worth the price difference compared to brands like Crockett?

That's like asking whether a Porsche is worth 4x a Honda Accord. Some people value the things offered by a Porsche and are willing to pay for it. Others find the Accord sufficient for their needs and/or budget. There are lots of threads in the Men's Clothing forum that discuss the details of what the different shoe makers offer. C&J is certainly a respectable shoe, but EG offers a shoe that is constructed with higher-quality materials and construction.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
Shoe N00b question

I'm looking at getting some real dress shoes. (At Sky Valet) I notice that EG is almost $1000 new, and Crockett is relatively cheap.

Is Edward Green worth the price difference compared to brands like Crockett?

I would encourage you to go look at them IRL and make the decision yourself if EG is worth the price different. With the budget i had, i went C&J.

Izhitsa

Reaction score
If I'm wearing EGs in size 8F UK (last 202, which is pretty generous), should I look for the C&J shoes in F width, too?

user7

Reaction score
Why do some suits have visible stitching like 1 mm in from the edge of the jacket all around the lapels, etc. What's that called? What's the point? Personally, I don't like the look.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by user7
Why do some suits have visible stitching like 1 mm in from the edge of the jacket all around the lapels, etc. What's that called? What's the point? Personally, I don't like the look.

Pick stitching, traditionally evidence of handwork.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Pick stitching, traditionally evidence of handwork.
Pick-stitching can be done without being visible though, whether by hand or by machine. In-fact all coats have pick-stitching of some sort, it stops the edge from rolling, the only difference being whether it's visible or not.

spcl-k

Reaction score
cptjeff;4155826 said:
Are we talking forest green, lime green, or something like an olive?

we're talking more of a lime green - bright and splashy for the summer. cheers mate.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Oil? If mink oil, which would have been a pretty decent choice for restoring the leather, make sure you brush 'em real well to get the remnants off, otherwise you'll have a fit polishing 'em. If something else, I hope you didn't use something that will hurt them.

As for polish color, they appear to be brown to me. I would use brown polish, and at least for the first few times, use cream polish. Better for the leather, and the leather on those looks like it could use some TLC. Also, you need new laces.

Or use something like a tan, which won't have as much dye, keeping the color close to what it is now. If you like the patina.

Treat 'em right. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, those are old florsheims. That's a quality shoe, and should last for ages with proper care. Usually I recommend that people have the leather heel replaced with rubber on those, but I see the previous owner has done that for you.

I typed out a whole reply and I...see it did not post or something. Weird. Anyway, yeah, I used mink oil. It substantially revitalized them. I took some "before" photos so that I can compare when the whole process is done. Thanks for the brushing-after-oiling advice though.

So I'll use a cream to polish them the first few times. I don't know much about waxes and creams, other than to, you know, use them, so excuse my ignorance here: putting the wrong color (tan) on a shoe (brown) makes me nervous. It won't make any parts look weird or off-color? And yes, I'm excited about keeping the patina around.

These shoes area actually by Crosby Square. There's something written in cursive above the words Crosby Square in the heel that's been faded to the point I can't make it out. They feel shockingly sturdy. A logo inside of them says they were made by (working from memory) the Boot and Shoe Worker's Union, AFL-CIO, and their production code is 3874--could they be from 1974?

And yes, the laces are bad, but their aglets are crimped in a way I've never seen before--in a series of bands.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
A question on button stance: is the ideal positions of the main button (the middle one for 3-button or 3-roll-2, the top one for 2-button) the same across all of the aforementioned types of jacket?

Any take?

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Pick-stitching can be done without being visible though, whether by hand or by machine. In-fact all coats have pick-stitching of some sort, it stops the edge from rolling, the only difference being whether it's visible or not.

Ah, good to know. But the visible pick stitching is (historically) done by hand, no? I recognize now that machines imitate this.

breidfan

Reaction score
Attending wedding in Key West on March 12 @ 5:00 pm. Invitation states "cocktail attire". A dark suit doesn't seem appropriate, and tan poplin feels too casual. I think is too early for linen/seersucker, or does that rule not apply when that far south?

Right now I am thinking light grey worsted pants with navy hopsack blazer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads