• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Nice. If you like that, you should check out Christopher Wilmarth's work, if you don't know it already. He's dead now, tragic work but beautiful.
thanks, i didn't know this artist. some nice stuff but i'm not that crazy about most of it. as far as recent artists who died young my favorites are: Fred Sandback
9814_artwork_detail.jpg
Felix Gonzalez-Torres
104267-004-E7D9BD6D.jpg
Robert Overby
artwork_images_423842297_146392_robert-overby.jpg

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What the ****? Is that a rock superglued to a piece of glass? Am I missing something here?
it's a meteorite that has been halved and is held to a cut piece of glass by a strong magnet on the other side (and the magnet is held by the meteorite). the era during which the meteor landed on earth and the size of the glass is significant to the body of work that this comes from. contextually it is very thought out and took a great deal of work to create. aesthetically, it either suits your tastes or it doesn't. hope this answers your question.
Originally Posted by legorogel
its art! you dont question it.
why people think that making this same comment for the millionth time is clever/creative/useful is beyond me. explain to me the value of gold.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
it's a meteorite that has been halved and is held to a cut piece of glass by a strong magnet on the other side (and the magnet is held by the meteorite). the era during which the meteor landed on earth and the size of the glass is significant to the body of work that this comes from. contextually it is very thought out and took a great deal of work to create. aesthetically, it either suits your tastes or it doesn't. hope this answers your question.
Sort of. Obviously, it looks like a piece of rock superglued to a plane of glass to me. But, your explanation of the piece does, at least in my mind, qualify it as some sort of "art", as opposed to just a piece of rock superglued to a plane of glass that somebody was trying to pass off as art. What's the era significance to the body of work, (other arty phrases), etc.? If you don't mind explaining that is.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Sort of. Obviously, it looks like a piece of rock superglued to a plane of glass to me. But, your explanation of the piece does, at least in my mind, qualify it as some sort of "art", as opposed to just a piece of rock superglued to a plane of glass that somebody was trying to pass off as art. What's the era significance to the body of work, (other arty phrases), etc.? If you don't mind explaining that is.
Really, you are as stupid as they come, man. I say this with all the love in the world, but you really are hard on the brain sometimes.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
laugh.gif
rambo, the meteorite landed at about the same time that the pyramids were going up. the artist didn't intend any narrow interpretation of the piece, but basically the formal concept involved the idea of something rising towards space (the star alignment shafts of the Great Pyramid are specifically relevant) and something falling from space. there's more that can be said about it, but i don't want to write another paragraph right now. she's really cute if that helps.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Really, you are as stupid as they come, man. I say this with all the love in the world, but you really are hard on the brain sometimes.
laugh.gif
About art, definitely. Honestly, I just don't have the "eye" for it. Some of this **** is just beyond me. I don't have an artistic bone in my body. But I've been emailing MarBear about my stick figure drawings. I have a good feeling about those.
laugh.gif
rambo, the meteorite landed at about the same time that the pyramids were going up. the artist didn't intend any narrow interpretation of the piece, but basically the formal concept involved the idea of something rising towards space (the star alignment shafts of the Great Pyramid are specifically relevant) and something falling from space. there's more that can be said about it, but i don't want to write another paragraph right now.

See, just from looking at that piece, I would have never gleamed into it anything other than "some schmuck just superglued a rock onto a plane of glass and is going to get $5000 for it. I've got to get into this art **** myself."

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
fwiw, some of her work is really divisive. certain people would leave the gallery visibly pissed off and others would leave on the verge of tears. when i was younger i worked a little while at MoCA and saw the same crowd response to a Rothko exhibit, and on another occasion to a Matthew Barney screening.

another one of her pieces looks like a bunch of rocks hanging from the ceiling with a mirror on the floor. but the rocks are meteorites and their distance from the floor and from each other is a scale model of those same distances for the component stars of the big dipper. the formation is only visible when you stand over the mirror and look down at it.

legorogel

Reaction score

why people think that making this same comment for the millionth time is clever/creative/useful is beyond me. explain to me the value of gold.

Oh come on, comparing "value" of art with the "value" of gold. You can do better than that.

Nevertheless when you like it, that should be good enough for you. I personally dont care for symbolic art, that is aesthetically not pleasing. You can think it out as much as you want to, it is still a stone on a piece of glass.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I have a few of these in my barn.
aren't the string lights an easier target? i doubt you have a concrete statue of a screen door.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
aren't the string lights an easier target? i doubt you have a concrete statue of a screen door.
I remember, when I was a kid, my friends used to go on and on about how everything at my parents' house looked like it could have been done by somebody in our class.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I remember, when I was a kid, my friends used to go on and on about how everything at my parents' house looked like it could have been done by somebody in our class.

did it inspire any of them to try to become artists?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads