• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Dress Shirts - Should Every Tailor Be Able To Do This?

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I do not live in a major metropolitan area. My tailor is okay, but he tends to size things with more room than needed. I do not blame him. I live in the South and most guys wear their suits way too big in an attempt to hide their paunch.

That being said, I took a couple of dress-casual shirts in the other day and asked him about tailoring them. He looked at me as if I had three heads. He seemed to think it was odd that I wanted a shirt tailored. I have never had a shirt tailored before, is this something that most tailors can do?

I have two J. McLaughlin shirts that I would like to wear but they are just too billowy. I look like a pirate.

Kslim

Reaction score
Just be adamant and detailed with how you want your shirt tailored. He might not understand it but he should be able do what you ask for.

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kslim
Just be adamant and detailed with how you want your shirt tailored. He might not understand it but he should be able do what you ask for.

Not a good idea. The results would probably be horrible, considering this might even be the first time the tailor has ever performed such alterations. Why force someone to do work they are clearly not comfortable with when you can easily find more experienced people to do it instead?

soonforget526

Reaction score
Any tailor should be able to do it.. as long as you are clear on your instructions. Most tailors have the skill needed to take a shirt in. Just make sure that you know exactly what you want done (measure at home) and dont forget to slim the sleeves to match the body. Sometimes I go in with my shirt pre-pinned or with a fitted shirt to use as an example. It isn't like you are asking them to re-cut pants, which takes considerably more skill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics