• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fresco - high twist vs 2-ply

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone familiar with Minnis Fresco advise what the difference between the lighter weight High Twist FRESCO (8-9 Oz) and the heavier 2-ply FRESCO (9-10 oz)in terms of temperature, look and feel?

Im looking for something to wear on the 80-95F days. I live in a dry climate but tend to run pretty hot.

ive read that it due to the way it breathes even heavier frescos still wear cool and i am leaning towards the heavier fabric purely for way it will hang.

Cheers

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know Minnie Fresco, but I have a high twist that is one of my favorite shirts partly because of its weight and the difference in the way that hangs. I've noticed it tends to be, for lack of a better way to put it, more sticky so that it looks less pressed and more like it conforms to my body. I live in Texas and it breaths ever so much more wonderfully than all of my other shirts, and when I look at it the weave of the high twist leaves a subtle pattern that I can appreciate as something only I notice.

DandySF

Reaction score
I've been told that the heaviest fresco doesn't have the breathability of the lighter ones, in a sense defeating the purpose of using fresco in the first place. Patrick from W. W. Chan shared this observation with me when I was ordering a pair of trousers in a Minnis fresco.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
Can someone familiar with Minnis Fresco advise what the difference between the lighter weight High Twist FRESCO (8-9 Oz) and the heavier 2-ply FRESCO (9-10 oz)in terms of temperature, look and feel?

Im looking for something to wear on the 80-95F days. I live in a dry climate but tend to run pretty hot.

ive read that it due to the way it breathes even heavier frescos still wear cool and i am leaning towards the heavier fabric purely for way it will hang.

Cheers

I was literally about to make the same thread, because I'm thinking of having a summer navy sports coat (blazer with non-metal buttons) made up, and I'm waffling between the Minnis Fresco 0505 (8-9 oz) and 0516 or 0520 (9-10 oz). Of course, the obvious answer is the 9-10 oz is slightly heavier, slightly hotter, and drapes slightly better...
biggrin.gif
I hate being hot and am leaning towards the 8-9 oz since this is specifically for the dog days of summer. But it would be cool if someone with experience with both weights could "weigh in"
ffffuuuu.gif
on their subjective view.

Manton pops up a lot on these older Fresco threads but I'm not sure if he's posting much anymore.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would get the lighter one. When it is 80 to 95 degrees "drape" is the last thing on my mind.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think you are right

today was 100F and the thought of heavy anything made me sweat bullets

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would get the lighter one. When it is 80 to 95 degrees "drape" is the last thing on my mind.

+1

I have the 0500 medium gray Minnis Fresco which I'll likely get made up for this Summer. Hopefully it can withstand the NYC heat!

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
+1

I have the 0500 medium gray Minnis Fresco which I'll likely get made up for this Summer. Hopefully it can withstand the NYC heat!

I'm assuming you're getting it made up in a suit, right?

From what I remember doing searches on this fabric you had a suit done in 9 oz. Fresco. I'd be curious to see how much of a difference you noted between the a two weights in terms of coolness, appearance, and wrinkling. Probably not much but the beauty of forums is that we can obsess over things as small as one ounce!
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear mostly 8oz worsteds in the summer. I think they are fine for warm dry days, but when it is humid you are screwed no matter what.

DandySF

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about fresco is its coarse texture. The heaviest weight has an almost sandpapery quality to it.

emptym

Reaction score
I have a four ply 11.5 oz fresco, the Smiths finmeresco. I've worn it in 80-something degree heat and was fine. It drapes well, isn't too rough, and has a nice give to it. For those reasons, Patrick Chu of Chan recommended it over the Minnis, which I haven't tried.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I have a four ply 11.5 oz fresco, the Smiths finmeresco. I've worn it in 80-something degree heat and was fine. It drapes well, isn't too rough, and has a nice give to it. For those reasons, Patrick Chu of Chan recommended it over the Minnis, which I haven't tried.

11.5oz seems pretty heavy no? I'd like to see you wear it in 95F heat though, is it the navy blazer suit?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I'm assuming you're getting it made up in a suit, right?

From what I remember doing searches on this fabric you had a suit done in 9 oz. Fresco. I'd be curious to see how much of a difference you noted between the a two weights in terms of coolness, appearance, and wrinkling. Probably not much but the beauty of forums is that we can obsess over things as small as one ounce!
laugh.gif

Yep. I'll actually be doing it as a 3-piece suit. My previous H&S Fresco is 9/10 oz and feels more like 10. It's definitely more substantial than the lightweight Minnis so tough to make it a fair comparison. The Minnis 0500 also stretches a bit compared to other Frescos which I view as a plus since that can make it more comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads