• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone recommend me an oxford with this profile?

3demon

Reaction score
I am a fan of the sleek look of these Pradas:
http://www.bluefly.com/Prada-ebony-l...001/detail.fly

But the logo is a bit much for me. Rubber sole is ok. Also, for the price I think I may be able to find something of better quality. I definitely love the low sleek profile of the shoe though.

I've had my eyes on C&J's Hallam for quite some time, as it seems to have a similar profile and the quality of their shoes is excellent.

Suggestions/recommendations? Are the Pradas there really that bad?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, stay away from patent leather.

C&J Hallam, Connaught, Bedford, Audley are all better choices.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with them Hallams!
Park Ave is not the answer for this gentleman here. They're chunky.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks quite elongated, I'd say the Hallam is a good bet if you want a similar last. Nothing wrong with the Connaught (which I prefer to the Hallam) but it doesn't look like the shoe in the picture.

I'm sure there are many shoes that are similar but I'm more familiar with C&J.

3demon

Reaction score
all of your input is much appreciated!

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Go with them Hallams!
Park Ave is not the answer for this gentleman here. They're chunky.

What makes you say that? I believe AE=clunky is a case of something being repeated ad infinitum that has gone unchallenged and has become recognized as truth.

Captoeoxfords.png

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The one thing I really dislike about the PA is that the toe slants upward severely. Most English shoes don't do this. Compare:

0.jpg

connaught-black.jpg

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
That's interesting. I'd not noticed that.

What's the C&J shoe in the background doing differently than the PA?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
The one thing I really dislike about the PA is that the toe slants upward severely. Most English shoes don't do this. Compare: [...]
For comparison with other English brands, I have two pairs of Loake 1880, and both have more of a slant than my PAs.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not saying all AE are chunky, or only AEs are chunky at all. Compare the Hallam with PA:
cj_hallam_be3.jpg
p32161l.jpg
Note the rounded shape of PA, the length of the toe box relative to the whole shoe, the width of the welt, the curvature of the vamp, the thickness of the stitching details. EDIT: Funny little site I ran into while googling for pics: http://www.turnright.com.tw/product-...product-OX.htm

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
What makes you say that? I believe AE=clunky is a case of something being repeated ad infinitum that has gone unchallenged and has become recognized as truth.

Captoeoxfords.png

I have the PA and the Grenson shoes. I can definitely say that PA is much clunkier and not as elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads