• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gold and silver. Discuss

Valproate

Reaction score
Interesting. It looks like everyone likes gold. I should've put a poal option to see if people actually own the stuff, the gold miners, or neither. Gold's up to $1409 overnight. Silver is up 5% to $34 currently. Personally I like gold more because it is shiny and doesn't oxidize
smile.gif

mikeman

Reaction score
Both are good investments, however Silver is actually a better value. If anyone wants a good read i would suggest Michael Maloneys book "Gold & Silver". Some of the stuff is very interesting. Hoping for some funds to buy more silver this week...kind of hoping for a pullback

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does someone look at a commodity that's trading at 4x what it was 10 years ago and see "buy" instead of "bubble"? Are you just relying on the irrationality of the market to push the price up indefinitely?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
How does someone look at a commodity that's trading at 4x what it was 10 years ago and see "buy" instead of "bubble"? Are you just relying on the irrationality of the market to push the price up indefinitely?

pretty much. I have thought for a while now that gold would be a good way to make a bunch of money off the paranoid fools who don't understand economics...of course I have been too afraid of the bubble bursting to actually take a large position. I'd rather put my money in something that is increasing somewhat due to fundamentals rather than pure speculation.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The price of gold since 1974:
gold_all_data_o_b_usdpng0.png

Housing prices since 1970
united_states.png

I'm far from the most knowledgeable investor so if I'm missing something I'd love to hear it, but this seems to be a fairly obvious bubble being inflated.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by olualbert
In today's economic downturn, and I have reiterated this comment before, it makes perfect sense to acquire as much physical gold and silver as a substitute for declining dollar. It is a safeguard for our declining currency.

The Almighty dollar is declining?

Seriously, gold is expensive I think. I missed the run-up in silver over the past 2 years. Is it still a good buy?

mikeman

Reaction score
You guys should check out that book I mentioned earlier. You might think about it differently. Gold and silver never really lose value either.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
Both are good investments, however Silver is actually a better value. If anyone wants a good read i would suggest Michael Maloneys book "Gold & Silver". Some of the stuff is very interesting. Hoping for some funds to buy more silver this week...kind of hoping for a pullback

Agree that silver is better value but is there more upside?

mikeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Agree that silver is better value but is there more upside?

I believe so. Historically the gold/ silver ratios aren't even close to what they should be. Not to mention silver is used in industrial fabrications. So really there will be much less silver for investors in the future. Just do some searches and you will find loads of information pointing at a higher price.

Valproate

Reaction score
I'm in both gold (GDX, GDXJ) and silver (PSLV). The silver position is for pure and unadultered speculation/gambling. How many of you guys actually own either?

Valproate

Reaction score
I forgot to add that the silver:gold ratio is 41:1, which is really low. In the past century, silver usually ran at 45:1 gold. In the last 10 years, that shifted to as low as 65:1 last year.

In the ancient past, silver:gold was about 17:1, which is close to the elemental composition ratios. I don't think we'll see that ever again because gold==money, while silver is more of a commodity than money.

I have much more gold exposure than silver.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
You guys should check out that book I mentioned earlier. You might think about it differently. Gold and silver never really lose value either.

Oh hai there '06 housing market, how have you been?

mikeman

Reaction score
How about a hedge against inflation? The fiat currency we have is garbage, why not invest in real money?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Okay, would you have preferred I use "corrosion" instead of oxidation?
Same same. What makes Silver useful in electronics is the fact that even if it's corroded you'll still make an electrical connection.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
silvergold.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads