• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimmertwins

Reaction score
...not sure how much truth there is to this but a friend of mine was telling me that the reason some of the European leathers are more expensive/considered of higher quality is because they don't use barbed wire to contain their cows resulting in less cosmetic scaring. It sounds a little silly to me because I can't understand why US leather manufacturers would be forced to use barbed wire but curious if any of you have heard this too.

ElliottPapineau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glimmertwins
...not sure how much truth there is to this but a friend of mine was telling me that the reason some of the European leathers are more expensive/considered of higher quality is because they don't use barbed wire to contain their cows resulting in less cosmetic scaring. It sounds a little silly to me because I can't understand why US leather manufacturers would be forced to use barbed wire but curious if any of you have heard this too.

I've also heard this.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
does anyone know how the flex-welt unlined chukka hold's up? if anyone has used them daily wearer please post pics. i dont care what color.

context

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mech IFR
Are these cap toe boots only made for J.Crew? Specifically, with the perf on the cap. Does anyone else sell them?

Anyone on SF have a pair? Absolutely gorgeous IMHO.

Leather Soul has them but on plaza last. Here's my pair in the office.
alden.jpg

glimmertwins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by context
Leather Soul has them but on plaza last. Here's my pair in the office.
alden.jpg

...one other difference the Jcrew ones have speedhooks. I'm wearing mine right now too.

Kenal0

Reaction score
A little off topic but Makr put some of the Alden Shell thin flap wallets up on their site today.
Picked one up myself and also ordered a pair of Cigar Indy boots with Commando sole from Gilbert.
Too bad I don't have any money left to carry in the wallet after these purchases.

Kenal0

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenal0
A little off topic but Makr put some of the Alden Shell thin flap wallets up on their site today.
Picked one up myself and also ordered a pair of Cigar Indy boots with Commando sole from Gilbert.
Too bad I don't have any money left to carry in the wallet after these purchases.

Kenal0

Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Do you have a link to the ones from Gilbert? I'd like to check them out.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glimmertwins
...one other difference the Jcrew ones have speedhooks. I'm wearing mine right now too.
a friend of mine was wearing the jcrew version, they look identical to the LS ones, great boot! I almost bought a pair but aldens dont fit me well

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
a friend of mine was wearing the jcrew version, they look identical to the LS ones, great boot! I almost bought a pair but aldens dont fit me well

Alden's can really fit virtually anyone if you get the proper size. They have a plethora of different sizes and widths so if you say they don't fit you well, you haven't been properly fitted.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Alden's can really fit virtually anyone if you get the proper size. They have a plethora of different sizes and widths so if you say they don't fit you well, you haven't been properly fitted.

Bullshit. Some lasts won't fit a foot no matter how much you screw around with width and length. Sizing is really simple. Get the length right, then fit the width at the ball of your foot. If the shoe still doesn't fit, the last isn't compatible with your foot shape.

People spend way too much money and time trying to find work-arounds to get incompatible lasts to fit. It's better to walk away from a so-so fitting shoe.

Beyachad

Reaction score
FYI, sorry if this is a repeat post, but trying to pass on a decent deal when I find it. Alden / Orvis Aviator Boot on sale from $425 to $339. Not trying to shill for Orvis, but have had a pair for a couple years and they are wearing great. Nice Indy Boot alternative. If you ask them nicely they will usually waive shipping.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Bullshit. Some lasts won't fit a foot no matter how much you screw around with width and length. Sizing is really simple. Get the length right, then fit the width at the ball of your foot. If the shoe still doesn't fit, the last isn't compatible with your foot shape. People spend way too much money and time trying to find work-arounds to get incompatible lasts to fit. It's better to walk away from a so-so fitting shoe.
Alden does not use the same last for every shoe. Do you really think it's possible for every Alden last not to fit someone? Not real likely. Most of the time someone saying 'Aldens (or any really brand) don't fit me' is someone who tried on one pair and just gave up assuming it's the entire brand that didn't fit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics