• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
More intensely bred for work than it's cousins. Difficult to find a reasonable calm one for a pet/family situation. Same as the Dutch Shepherd.

Unless you're used to that level of intensity it could be a problem for everyone. Strong drives need to be shaped and controlled.

lefty

Very well said and I couldn't agree more.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other breeds to consider would be the Kuvasz, Briard or the Bouvier. All are large, excellent property and personal protectors (no one will get near you with a Kuvasz by your side) and reasonably healthy. None as are wash-and-wear as the GSD.

Briard is a looker:

briard-0003.jpg

lefty

Some people in our neighborhood used to have two Kuvaszok (I think that's the correct plural). They said that they had a problem in that the Kuvasz is such a pretty, fluffy, white dog that people think they are as benign as their looks. Thus, drunks would try to embrace the dogs, and the dogs, predictably enough, would take violent exception.

My present Tosa Cyrus has a girlfriend who is a Briard. Even though she's about 35 pounds lighter than he, she can tussle with him on even terms, which speaks well of the breed. I don't think Briards look very intimidating though. Bouviers, however, when being agitated often look like Hollywood werewolves!

I should think Cyrus, being all-black and with yellow eyes, would look somewhat intimidating. Some people find him so. I can remember one guy hailing me as I was training him in the park last summer with the words, "Is he as mean as he looks?" "Probably meaner," I replied facetiously. Other people mistake him for a black Lab, since he's only about 100 pounds, and assume he's benign.

A guy was at our house last week to do a termite evaluation, and it turned out he had a young Cane Corso ***** in his van with him. I suggested she might enjoy playing with Cyrus, but he said she'd probably be afraid of him. I went out and saw her. She was a good-looking blue brindle, but very fearful of me. I know you, lefty, said some you worked with in the old days were good PP dogs, but almost every Cane I've seen has been terribly shy. On the subject of offbeat mastiffs, I saw a fluffy Old English Mastiff on Saturday. The owner was very impressed that I knew what he was, hardly anyone did. I don't know if I have seen a "fluffy"before in the flesh or just in books on the OEM. He was very small for an OEM, about 125 pounds at age 5, and he looked to be in great shape. Some OEMs I have seen at age 5 looked positively decrepit, probably from being obese, as so many of them are.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Some people in our neighborhood used to have two Kuvaszok (I think that's the correct plural). They said that they had a problem in that the Kuvasz is such a pretty, fluffy, white dog that people think they are as benign as their looks. Thus, drunks would try to embrace the dogs, and the dogs, predictably enough, would take violent exception.

My present Tosa Cyrus has a girlfriend who is a Briard. Even though she's about 35 pounds lighter than he, she can tussle with him on even terms, which speaks well of the breed. I don't think Briards look very intimidating though. Bouviers, however, when being agitated often look like Hollywood werewolves!

I should think Cyrus, being all-black and with yellow eyes, would look somewhat intimidating. Some people find him so. I can remember one guy hailing me as I was training him in the park last summer with the words, "Is he as mean as he looks?" "Probably meaner," I replied facetiously. Other people mistake him for a black Lab, since he's only about 100 pounds, and assume he's benign.

A guy was at our house last week to do a termite evaluation, and it turned out he had a young Cane Corso ***** in his van with him. I suggested she might enjoy playing with Cyrus, but he said she'd probably be afraid of him. I went out and saw her. She was a good-looking blue brindle, but very fearful of me. I know you, lefty, said some you worked with in the old days were good PP dogs, but almost every Cane I've seen has been terribly shy. On the subject of offbeat mastiffs, I saw a fluffy Old English Mastiff on Saturday. The owner was very impressed that I knew what he was, hardly anyone did. I don't know if I have seen a "fluffy"before in the flesh or just in books on the OEM. He was very small for an OEM, about 125 pounds at age 5, and he looked to be in great shape. Some OEMs I have seen at age 5 looked positively decrepit, probably from being obese, as so many of them are.

The Kuvasz is a serious dog masquerading as a pale Golden Retriever. Maremma is another. Good stealth protectors.

Maybe I misspoke about the Corsos - there were maybe 6 that were any bloody good. Out of hundreds that I saw.

The Briard is a cool dog. The Bouvier is too bouncy for me.

What do you mean by fluffy Old English Mastiff? Recessive longhaired? Never seen one.

Moo - cool dog.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Wasn't sure how much difference there was in temperament between the breeds, but suspected that might be the answer. Thanks.
They are more or less the same breed just with coat variations (malinois can and do throw tervurens and vice versa). The variations have been specifically bred as to be almost separate "breeds" and some registries see classify them as such. It very confusing. lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by fluffy Old English Mastiff? Recessive longhaired? Never seen one. lefty
Yeah, they're longhaired OEMs. They crop up with some regularity, possibly because St. Bernards may have been used to help re-create the breed. They're mentioned in most OEM books I believe. They're a nice way to get a good pet OEM at a bargain price. For a look, visit www.fluffymastiff.com

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that the dog that Leclerc used in his Am Bull line? Didn't Semencic talk about that?

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never heard of Steve Leclerc using OEMs, fluffy or otherwise, in his lines, and I don't recall Dr. Carl saying anything about in any of his three books. I used to get Casey Couturier's Bulldog Review. Couturier just hated Leclerc, and if it were known that Leclerc's dogs were OEM mixes, I'm sure Casey would have used it as stick to beat Leclerc.

Some of those fluffy OEMs in that link I posted sure look like Tibetans, don't they?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I misread it or he just had one at his kennel. Now that I think about it I doubt he used the dog. Someone did though ... maybe JJ.

Funny, I was just looking at some old Bulldog Reviews the other day as well as a bunch of pics that Kyle Symmes sent me of Terminator and Rattler.

White Fang was a good looking dog:

576713.jpg

lefty

Redcap

Reaction score
Here's my new family addition... a 10-month-old white Euro-boxer by the name of Ajax.

5470500452_a4a382bcfb_z.jpg

5470492268_e11f0b1893.jpg

5469896297_bba4d8f0e5.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redcap
Here's my new family addition... a 10-month-old white Euro-boxer by the name of Ajax.
Cute. What do you mean by "Euro-boxer?"
Originally Posted by nootje
nice boxer
smile.gif
I thought especially lefty might enjoy this: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1942782 parkour for dogs, aka "barkour"
smile.gif

I believe that's posted in here somewhere. The dog is a Presa trained by Alex Vyatkin formerly of Red Star kennels. lefty

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redcap

Looks like an American bulldog.

Redcap

Reaction score
Cute. What do you mean by "Euro-boxer?"

lefty

I won't have access to his papers until I neuter, but all I know is that he is a European boxer. If I remember correctly, his sire is on loan from Holland boxers? I know he comes from international champions on both sides but it doesn't matter to me as we picked him up as a pet. I agree that in the pics from my phone he looks like a bulldog, but I will try to get some better pics taken this weekend.

All I know is that we love him!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads