• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
did you guys ever go as far into Ivy League cloths as corduroy and tweed sport jackets, chino trousers etc? Seems like harringtons, buttondown shirts, staprest and brogues/loafers are about as deep into the IL style as originals got.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
did you guys ever go as far into Ivy League cloths as corduroy and tweed sport jackets?

Corduroy and tweed were always 'country gent' clothes in the UK.

Having said that, Levi cord jackets were popular up north.

harrysgame

Reaction score
did you guys ever go as far into Ivy League cloths as corduroy and tweed sport jackets, chino trousers etc? Seems like harringtons, buttondown shirts, staprest and brogues/loafers are about as deep into the IL style as originals got.

I sometimes where a chocolate brown corduroy three button jacket. Looks great with a check shirt and stapress for a smart casual look. I also have a Harris Tweed Hacking Jacket that looks great.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you know Jason, Skinheads do not like Chinos, But in the late 70s, early 80s, I could not find Sta Press..like the old Levis Sta Press, so i started to wear Chinos, I like the baggier style, Looks cool with a Leather A2 Flying jacket and Brogues.
I also have a couple of Tweed jackets one a lovely Three button Bladen Hacking jacket.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Brooks Bros actually makes a decent chino that is more like staprest than chinos. They call it the "milano fit chino", which is a slim fitting trouser, a heavier cloth so not typical chino cloth, and has a crease that is supposed to keep even after washing, like on staprest. It's also a wrinkle free cotton so basically "staprest" even tho they call it a chino. They have it in stone color, so took a punt and ordered a pair (good return policy if they suck), I know they fit well from trying on in store, hope the stone color is true to website pics as it looks quite good. here's pic from website. I think with the proper shirt, brogues etc. they should be quite serviceable.

GINGERNUT

Reaction score
The Willesden Boys
Harlesden/Willesden/Stonebridge/Neasden/Kensal Rise NW10
Willesden Green/Cricklewood NW2

Lasttye;4101103 said:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter
Hi Roy good to see you around here, this thread is slowly attracting all the original kids from all places (Kingstonian from Filmnoirbuff I presume? If so, hi!)
smile.gif

Do you also know the ones nicknamed as Sly Fry (next to Roscoe in the colour pic of Church Street), Mole or the West-Indian lad Pudding, all in the Church Street pic in front of the White Horse? Their names was posted in the original source of the picture, thought they had some interesting nicknames (Sly Fry and Pudding especially).

Hi loempiavreter yes also good to see you on here mate, just feeling me way around,
I had a idea it was the White Heart, was not 100% sure... as you look at the pic where Fudges the Cycle shop is, there is another pub on the Roundabout, i always thought that was the WH, Their was always a Disco there on Saturday,
You have reminded me of one Lad, I lived over Stonebridge Park for 10 months in 67, then we moved back to Kilburn, I was friends with one of the Frys, cannot remember his first name,
Regarding Roscoe He was Deaf and Dumb if i recall.
The Willesden was our enemy but it never really came to blows, their was respect between the two mobs, In saying that the Kilburn Aggro mob was about four times bigger in Numbers.
Most the Willesden came off a estate called Curzon Crescent , It was notorious in the 60s, the name has been changed now.

GINGERNUT

Reaction score
Willesden NW10
White Horse Church Road NW10: Demolished
White Hart Willesden High Road/Church Road NW10: Demolished

Lasttye;4101103 said:
Hi Roy good to see you around here, this thread is slowly attracting all the original kids from all places (Kingstonian from Filmnoirbuff I presume? If so, hi!)
smile.gif

Do you also know the ones nicknamed as Sly Fry (next to Roscoe in the colour pic of Church Street), Mole or the West-Indian lad Pudding, all in the Church Street pic in front of the White Horse? Their names was posted in the original source of the picture, thought they had some interesting nicknames (Sly Fry and Pudding especially).

Hi loempiavreter yes also good to see you on here mate, just feeling me way around,
I had a idea it was the White Heart, was not 100% sure... as you look at the pic where Fudges the Cycle shop is, there is another pub on the Roundabout, i always thought that was the WH, Their was always a Disco there on Saturday,
You have reminded me of one Lad, I lived over Stonebridge Park for 10 months in 67, then we moved back to Kilburn, I was friends with one of the Frys, cannot remember his first name,
The Willesden was our enemy but it never really came to blows, their was respect between the two mobs, In saying that the Kilburn Aggro mob was about four times bigger in Numbers.
Most the Willesden came off a estate called Curzon Crescent , It was notorious in the 60s, the name has been changed now.

DrBassie

Reaction score
Brooks Bros actually makes a decent chino that is more like staprest than chinos. They call it the "milano fit chino", which is a slim fitting trouser, a heavier cloth so not typical chino cloth, and has a crease that is supposed to keep even after washing, like on staprest. It's also a wrinkle free cotton so basically "staprest" even tho they call it a chino. They have it in stone color, so took a punt and ordered a pair (good return policy if they suck), I know they fit well from trying on in store, hope the stone color is true to website pics as it looks quite good. here's pic from website. I think with the proper shirt, brogues etc. they should be quite serviceable.
Yeah, post what you think of them. I saw THESE and would've tried them if they made them in dark navy. I like the pockets better. It's too bad that they've seemed to discontinue them. *EDIT*Bah, noticed to permanent crease in those though

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GINGERNUT
Late 1969 about 200 Willesden attacked The Ace Cafe (rockers main London cafe).

A bit out of the way by public transport. Stonebridge Park station and walk along the North Circular? I remember it from the 'ton up' boy era. As I kid,I used to go to judo in the road opposite The Pantiles public house. I would see bikers speeding along the road with no helmets. All British bikes of course.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GINGERNUT;4153929 said:
Thought I would put the record straight on a few matters:
Roscoe was not deaf and dumb - Richard Frewer was deaf and dumb.
Willesden and Kilburn hated each other, I recall one Saturday night when The Willesden attacked Kilburn on their own turf (Kilburn High Road) a few of the Kilburn got well bashed that night.
The White Horse - Church Road has been demolished.
The White Hart - Willesden High Road/Church Road has been demolished.
Most of The Willesden Mob did not come from Curzon Crescent (some did, but not the majority) they came from all over the NW10 and NW2 areas of Brent: Willesden/Harlesden/Stonebridge/Neasden/Cricklewood/Kensal Rise, they were the biggest mob in the area NW/West spreading mayhem from St Johns Wood to Uxbridge via Kilburn/Acton/White City/Ealing/Hanwell/Greenford/Northolt/Wembley/Alperton/Harrow/Rayners Lane/Eastcote/Ruislip etc, no dance hall/venue was safe when The Willesden Mob arrived. The Kilburn couldn't muster a crew to match The Willesden, number wise, Willesden would pull twice the Kilburn numbers at short notice. Willesden had Black and White members, a good number of the Willesden were second generation Irish (now days called plastic paddys). Late 1969 about 200 Willesden attacked The Ace Cafe (rockers main London cafe).

Good post mate, Thanks for putting the record straight about the deaf and dumb lad, I know a lot of Willesden came from Neasden and also Kensil Rise. With Crickelwood a lot of that Mob was mates with the Kilburn,
Regarding the size of the mobs, I always thought the Kilburn and Hendon had the biggest combined mob,
Regarding the Willesden coming into Kilburn Firm handed that never happened as far as i know, I do know the Willesden would drive up and down Kilburn High road and ambush Kilburn Skinheads on their own, Like when they jumped M.D . Kicked him senseless , then Reversed the car over him, the poor lad was never the same after that, M died 8 years ago of a brain hemorrhage.
Yes the Kilburn and Willesden hated each other, I think people these days dont realise how violent those days was.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
A bit out of the way by public transport. Stonebridge Park station and walk along the North Circular? I remember it from the 'ton up' boy era. As I kid,I used to go to judo in the road opposite The Pantiles public house. I would see bikers speeding along the road with no helmets. All British bikes of course.

Do you remember the Abbey Hotel Pub along from the Ace Cafe, It would have a Disco on a Saturday night ?
Long demolished.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Do you remember the Abbey Hotel Pub along from the Ace Cafe, It would have a Disco on a Saturday night ?
Long demolished.

Yes, next to Crown House office block where I worked for a while. So it was the Friday lunch time watering hole. Never went there on a Saturday though.

Garik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
What boots would you recommend for winter? I like my DMs very much, they are very comfortable and looks very smart but they are totally unuseable in snowy streets. They slips like a hell. And recommendations?

Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
That's peculiar - we are having one of the iciest winters ever here in Scotland, and my daughter's DMs seem to have a grip like a Yorkshireman on a five-pound-note!

Just found these looking through the older pages of the thread and decided to jump in. I believe both statements are so very true. When in comes to icy or wet roads, Docs are just the best to keep your feet grounded. But I agree with BM in that DMs are too slippery on snowy footworn pavements. In such a weather I choose to wear my G.T. Hawkins boots with a sole like this.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GINGERNUT;4153929 said:
Thought I would put the record straight on a few matters:
Roscoe was not deaf and dumb - Richard Frewer was deaf and dumb.
Willesden and Kilburn hated each other, I recall one Saturday night when The Willesden attacked Kilburn on their own turf (Kilburn High Road) a few of the Kilburn got well bashed that night.
The White Horse - Church Road has been demolished.
The White Hart - Willesden High Road/Church Road has been demolished.
Most of The Willesden Mob did not come from Curzon Crescent (some did, but not the majority) they came from all over the NW10 and NW2 areas of Brent: Willesden/Harlesden/Stonebridge/Neasden/Cricklewood/Kensal Rise, they were the biggest mob in the area NW/West spreading mayhem from St Johns Wood to Uxbridge via Kilburn/Acton/White City/Ealing/Hanwell/Greenford/Northolt/Wembley/Alperton/Harrow/Rayners Lane/Eastcote/Ruislip etc, no dance hall/venue was safe when The Willesden Mob arrived. The Kilburn couldn't muster a crew to match The Willesden, number wise, Willesden would pull twice the Kilburn numbers at short notice. Willesden had Black and White members, a good number of the Willesden were second generation Irish (now days called plastic paddys). Late 1969 about 200 Willesden attacked The Ace Cafe (rockers main London cafe).

Used to meet up with some of the Willesden Mob "Up West".Some good times were had,got thrown out of a few Pubs in Soho.

GINGERNUT

Reaction score
Lasttye;4101103 said:
smile.gif

Just a few notes to correct a number of mistakes on here.
Roscoe was not deaf and dumb.....Richard Frewer was deaf and dumb.
Willesden hated Kilburn......I remember one Saturday night when Willesden smashed Kilburn on their own Turf..'Kilburn High Road' a number of Kilburn got bashed that night.
Willesden were the biggest mob in that part of London (NW through to Middlesex).
Most of The Willesden did not come from Curzon Crescent, they came from all over the Willesden area: Harlesden/Willesden/Stonebridge/Neasden/Cricklewood/Kensal Rise etc.
Willesden caused mayhem from St Johns Wood to Uxbridge ie Acton/White City/Alperton/Kingsbury/Wembley Harrow/Greenford/Northolt/Ealing/Hanwell/Eastcote/Rayners Lane/Ruislip/Watford/West Drayton/Richmond/Kew etc.
Willesden had Black and White members, alot of the white boys were second generation Irish (now days would be called Plastic Paddy's). Late 1969 over 200 Willesden attacked The Ace Cafe (rockers main London venue).
Kilburn were no match for The Willesden - Willesden would beat them in every department, numbers etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads