• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mes chaussettes rouges vs. marcoliani

jeangenie

Reaction score
I was taking a look at these (OTC in Merino Wool) and they both come about to the same price, does anyone have any experience with either? I am looking for durability, as well as comfort.

Thank you in advance!

jeangenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Pope socks > non Pope socks

I know that, but is the cost for the rouges due to marketing? or is it justified?
I am leaning towards the marcoliani because of reviews I have read here on SF.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
80/20 blend of merino wool tends to have more durability than 100% wool...same applies to cotton.

If you dwell deep into Kabbaz site, you will find an explanation as to durability
www.customshirt1.com

jeangenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
80/20 blend of merino wool tends to have more durability than 100% wool...same applies to cotton.

If you dwell deep into Kabbaz site, you will find an explanation as to durability
www.customshirt1.com

but if I were to go the 100% merino route (Marcoliani) Vs. Rouge,
would there be any difference?

Thanks again in advance

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time I met the Cardinal, I will ask him where he buy his sock!

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, the pope wear white sock, but the online shop doesn't has white sock for sale!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
BTW, the pope wear white sock, but the online shop doesn't has white sock for sale!

You can special order the white socks from MCR.

I was all set to order a couple of dozen pairs from MCR (the Mazarin in Burgundy) until I discovered the STP Pantherella blowout. Would love to hear a review from members who have purchased from them though.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball

You can special order the white socks from MCR.

I was all set to order a couple of dozen pairs from MCR (the Mazarin in Burgundy) until I discovered the STP Pantherella blowout. Would love to hear a review from members who have purchased from them though.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more thing, I think the pope now using Mancinelli rather than Gammarelli as his personal tailor, although Vactian still buying many stuffs from Gammarelli.

max b

Reaction score
Comfort and durability of socks is not due to the yarn used only. It depends on the machine used for knitting. More needles the machine has, more comfortable and fine are the socks. There are different quality of wool too, depending on the count of the yarn (the count is the way to measure how fine it is the yarn). It is quite a complicate matter, but as already suggested in previous post, have a look to Kabbaz site, there are explanation about that. Anyway, composition alone, can't tell which is better, there are other factors, as the count of the yarn, the needle of the machine, the quality of the raw material...but at the end everything it is personal, so I sugget you just buy one of each and decide which one it is better for you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads