• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
You could wear black or brown with jeans. But why would you wear such a formal shoe with jeans?

The formality of the two indeed doesn't quite match. Also, black and blue jeans usually doesn't look good. Brown is definitely the better choice.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
When listing in B&S, is it considered poor form or a bannable offense to add, say, two new items every few days?

It'd make things easier. It would also seem to keep the thread bumped w/o a price reduction, I guess. Couldn't find this in the rules.

Thanks.

If the admins feel your trying to game the system.Then yes, your going to get warned.

bwp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
The formality of the two indeed doesn't quite match. Also, black and blue jeans usually doesn't look good. Brown is definitely the better choice.

I wear dark blue jeans with my AEs quite often, I get my jeans long and roll the bottoms up to form a cuff. Definitely go with brown shoes just as you would with navy trousers.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
When listing in B&S, is it considered poor form or a bannable offense to add, say, two new items every few days?

It'd make things easier. It would also seem to keep the thread bumped w/o a price reduction, I guess. Couldn't find this in the rules.

Thanks.

It's against the rules.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Thanks for both answers. My next question is more specific. I measure out to a 38 l. As far ad I can tell, virtually no on makes suits in this size. I am looking to spend around 500. Am I doomed to online m2m?

Online MTM is generally a bad idea. Lots of people get suits that are horrible.

Frankly, the $500 good suit question really boils down to the fact that at retail price, any suit that costs $500 is a low-end fused piece. If you happen to find something on sale, that's great, but there are no guarantees of that. Does your $500 include alteration costs? Those are likely to be at least $100. In other words, the odds of getting a decent suit for $500 are low.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Online MTM is generally a bad idea. Lots of people get suits that are horrible.

Frankly, the $500 good suit question really boils down to the fact that at retail price, any suit that costs $500 is a low-end fused piece. If you happen to find something on sale, that's great, but there are no guarantees of that. Does your $500 include alteration costs? Those are likely to be at least $100. In other words, the odds of getting a decent suit for $500 are low.

I'm not including alterations I'm aware of the extra cost. At 500 I can find a decentish suit in 40l on b and s etc. If I have to get the 38 I might have to go with m2m, which I would prefer to avoid.

sqweegle

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use ordinary soap to wash a wool sweater?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question on button stance: is the ideal positions of the main button (the middle one for 3-button or 3-roll-2, the top one for 2-button) the same across all of the aforementioned types of jacket?

Johnx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwp
I wear dark blue jeans with my AEs quite often, I get my jeans long and roll the bottoms up to form a cuff. Definitely go with brown shoes just as you would with navy trousers.

Ok - thanks for the answers!

Do you use the oxford model, or a less formal model of AE like Dinhilion suggested?

JMSBNSN

Reaction score
Would it be a style faux pas to wear a casual jacket and pants that are the same color? (In my case, khaki harrington with khaki pants) And if so, should I buy a darker khaki harrington? Or would that also be a bad look?

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Shoe N00b question

I'm looking at getting some real dress shoes. (At Sky Valet) I notice that EG is almost $1000 new, and Crockett is relatively cheap.

Is Edward Green worth the price difference compared to brands like Crockett?

spcl-k

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of green coloured chinos. 3 ways of wearing it?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found some ancient longwings for really, really cheap. I oiled them and am ready to polish, but I can't tell if they're really faded cordovan or just a brown color. any ideas for polishing? a picture i took yesterday (semi-cloudy day)
5462648980_813133994c_b.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spcl-k
Just bought a pair of green coloured chinos. 3 ways of wearing it?

Are we talking forest green, lime green, or something like an olive?

Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
found some ancient longwings for really, really cheap. I oiled them and am ready to polish, but I can't tell if they're really faded cordovan or just a brown color. any ideas for polishing? a picture i took yesterday (semi-cloudy day)
5462648980_813133994c_b.jpg

Oil? If mink oil, which would have been a pretty decent choice for restoring the leather, make sure you brush 'em real well to get the remnants off, otherwise you'll have a fit polishing 'em. If something else, I hope you didn't use something that will hurt them.

As for polish color, they appear to be brown to me. I would use brown polish, and at least for the first few times, use cream polish. Better for the leather, and the leather on those looks like it could use some TLC. Also, you need new laces.

Or use something like a tan, which won't have as much dye, keeping the color close to what it is now. If you like the patina.

Treat 'em right. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, those are old florsheims. That's a quality shoe, and should last for ages with proper care. Usually I recommend that people have the leather heel replaced with rubber on those, but I see the previous owner has done that for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads