• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my first bespoke suit, what do you think?

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
unless you call 32" wide?
For 64kg at 6'2'' it is not exactly narrow. Your short jacket accentuates your butt and is not flattering. Especiaaly from the back. Comparing the style example picture from yourself with the pictures that jrd617 put up, I think it is fairly obvious which is the more stylish, effortless look.

I am 6'22 also and was 65kg before pumping iron and later middle age set in. For a tall chap this short jacket look is just not right. Furthermore, what gent said. And he wsa not being an a-hole. Just pin pointed what I was going to say, but he did a better job than I would have done.

For $500 I think I got pretty good value for money
I do not. Bad is never good value. And -sorry- you do not look good in that suit.

Tall, skinny + short jacket like in the picture = not a good look. That is just how it is. Like Windsor knots as big as yourhead, and 1 inch thick bling watches. No matter which celebrity or used car salesman may walk around like that. Still not a good look. Be happy that you are not a dumpy shortarse and dress accordingly.

The fit and workmanship have been adequeately critiqued by others. Bespoke=made for your and your prportiions. Your suit unfortunately does not look that way on you.

Larry Dallas

Reaction score
I've seen some nice looking suits from Bangkok tailors. That price is too expensive, you should be able to get a 100% wool suit for much cheaper. At 500usd, you should be able to get at least half-canvassed, you're probably just paying foreigner prices. The best way to find a good inexpensive tailor is to ask locals who wear suits, especially if their suits look good. Being accompanied by a regular customer is a good way to get a better price, too, so ask someone to take you to their tailor.

You'll still have to be very specific about every detail, so make sure you know exactly what you want. It looks like you just asked for a shorter jacket length, but the modern suits that are cut this way are also cut much slimmer, and I rarely see them with center vents. A better tailor might know these things, but it wouldn't hurt to bring some pictures of what you're looking for. Your next suit should come from a different tailor.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to start/manage an advice thread is to make your original post, ask for opinions, get them, answer any questions people have, and let people say what they want.

Dismiss the stuff you don't agree if you like, but keep it to yourself. You asked for peoples' opinions, so take them.

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Dallas
I've seen some nice looking suits from Bangkok tailors. That price is too expensive, you should be able to get a 100% wool suit for much cheaper. At 500usd, you should be able to get at least half-canvassed, you're probably just paying foreigner prices. The best way to find a good inexpensive tailor is to ask locals who wear suits, especially if their suits look good. Being accompanied by a regular customer is a good way to get a better price, too, so ask someone to take you to their tailor.

You'll still have to be very specific about every detail, so make sure you know exactly what you want. It looks like you just asked for a shorter jacket length, but the modern suits that are cut this way are also cut much slimmer, and I rarely see them with center vents. A better tailor might know these things, but it wouldn't hurt to bring some pictures of what you're looking for. Your next suit should come from a different tailor.

There are only 3 or 4 real Tailors in Bangkok. The hundreds of others you see are just fabric sellers, they get the suit made elsewhere and you never actually meet anyone who actually makes your suit. These places will say anything to get you to buy and you have to bargain hard. They will blatantly lie about the fabric and the construction method used. That is why you think you can get a 100% wool half canvased suit for less than $500, beacause I can assure you that you cannot.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madjbs
There are only 3 or 4 real Tailors in Bangkok. The hundreds of others you see are just fabric sellers, they get the suit made elsewhere and you never actually meet anyone who actually makes your suit. These places will say anything to get you to buy and you have to bargain hard. They will blatantly lie about the fabric and the construction method used. That is why you think you can get a 100% wool half canvased suit for less than $500, beacause I can assure you that you cannot.
You may get fully canvassed suit with $500 (or less depend on the fabrics used) in SE Asia. Just don't expect complex multi-layer chest piece with extensive hand-working. $300 is what I was quoted for CMT. You can always find some Okay made-in-China worsted fabrics within $100.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I don't believe Bankok is more expensive than my city.

madjbs

Reaction score
Believe what you want but I Live here and I know the prices. You were quoted $300 CMT in Bangkok for a fully canvassed suit?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe what you want but I Live here and I know the prices. You were quoted $300 CMT in Bangkok for a fully canvassed suit?
Well...A half canvassed suit in polyster wool blend fabrics cost $150-200 here. Ask your tailor to outsource his work to my city. If the quantity is large enough, subtracting the shipping cost, he can still make $100 more.

You were robbed, boy.

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Well...A half canvassed suit in polyster wool blend fabrics cost $150-200 here. Ask your tailor to outsource his work to my city. If the quantity is large enough, subtracting the shipping cost, he can still make $100 more.

You were robbed, boy.

And what is your city?

The price is the price, nobody was "robbed". Luxury cars are also about 3 times the USA price here, it's not just clothing which is expensive.

pauliec

Reaction score
lol @ "maybe it's the camera lens"

Actually, I think it's quite useful to take a picture of an article of clothing and then look at that. Often when you look in the mirror you only see what you want to see.

And I think you just tried a little too hard to pull off the designer/catalog look. No one really ever looks like that in real life.

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliec

And I think you just tried a little too hard to pull off the designer/catalog look. No one really ever looks like that in real life.

If you know about photography then you would know it is a very real possibility.

That is a good point though!

pauliec

Reaction score
If you know about photography then you would know it is a very real possibility. That is a good point though!
I know a little bit about photography. I know how important it is to set up a shot with proper light and angle, as well as white balance, exposure, and ISO. You could have photographed yourself a little bit better.

madjbs

Reaction score

Actually, I think it's quite useful to take a picture of an article of clothing and then look at that. Often when you look in the mirror you only see what you want to see.

Actually a mirror gives a much more lifelike representation as you are looking at the clothes as the eyes see them. A camera tries to mimic the eye and does not do a good job of it usually.

You are looking at an image of yourself in both cases so you are seeing what you want to see in both cases.

madjbs

Reaction score
You could have photographed yourself a little bit better.

Yep you are right, but it is a real pain when you have to keep using the self timer and with no tripod to hand!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads