• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Psychology of bad taste

DeCabota

Reaction score
Why is it that people purchase cheap dress shoes? Is it an income problem? Do people begin to purchase regal shoes as their income increases? Do people just have bad taste? Do people not care about shoes?

People in poverty are obviously excluded from the generalizations of these questions.

These are questions I have been asking myself and am curious to read your thoughts. I personally think people purchase cheap dress shoes because they have bad taste. Just about everyone owns a pair of dress shoes and will wear them many times in their lifetime. Cheap shoes with the casual use of 3 times per week will simply wear out in six to eight months. If this is so, it does not make sense to purchase shoes with such short lifespans. With some research its easy to find shoes that could last you 10 years with the appropriate care with no added cost.

Lets do some simple math. Cheap Bostonian Clarks, Steve Madden etc. purchase price $60. Average lifespan with 3 uses per week = 7 months. Over the course of 10 years 17 shoes were purchased. 17x60 = $1020.00.

Entry level high end shoes, Allen Edmonds cost $300.00. Avg lifespan(my experience) 10 years. 1x300 = $300.00 Total savings = $720.00.

Its well worth the money to invest in entry level high end shoes, so income cannot be the excuse. The only explanation left has to be the proliferation of bad taste. People just do not know better, and therefore do not care about shoes.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty simple to me.

1) General lack of interest. Most people see them as a necessity, not as an fashion accessory.
2) ***Marketing*** Think about it. EG, Lobb, Vass, G&G, etc. really do not market to the American masses. Thus, the only way you find out about them is word of mouth from other people interested in shoes (which most will never cross path with) or actively searching. Factor in the lack of interest / desire to spend money on Dress shoes and you've found your reason.

DeCabota

Reaction score
You would think that if people see dress shoes as a necessity they would want to focus on a medium of quality and price. Is bad taste a child of disinterested, ignorant parents?

DeCabota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
Some combination or not knowing and not caring. Those go hand in hand.

What do you think is the cause of this? Is it partly based on income demographics? Social status?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Cioni2k means that people see dress shoes as a kind of shoe they have to wear when they can't wear sneakers. That means they wouldn't spend a lot of money on them.

Do your think your estimates of 7 months for cheap dress shoes and 10 years for AE are accurate?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeCabota
What do you think is the cause of this? Is it partly based on income demographics? Social status?

Because most people buy their clothes at the mall and they don't have nice dress shoes at the mall.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Er, not really. Many people I know would spend $50 or less on dress shirts.
The type that can last you years despite many washing.

If so, spending $70 to $100 for a pair of leather shoes is as much as they can go.
They dont even get shoe trees or shoe polish.
And after the soles get worn out, they just go to the cobbler and for less than $20, glue a new pair of soles. It may not last ten years but before then, they would get another pair.

Sure, they look pig ass ugly, but what do you think can match a $50 dress shirt?

Before SF, spending $700 on a pair of shoes sounds insane to me.
After SF, I dont even bat an eye when I see that on BS or ebay.

951socal

Reaction score
i have cheap dress shoes, you'd hate me for this but:

Dockers brand dress shoes worn 5 times, $35.

Florshiem Brogues worn 5 times @ $100

i'm a student and a young guy so i don't wear them as much. and the upfront price is pretty steep. i'd love a pair of alden or bespoke shoes but i'd have to skip eating for a few months to get them

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
i have cheap dress shoes, you'd hate me for this but:

Dockers brand dress shoes worn 5 times, $35.

Florshiem Brogues worn 5 times @ $100

i'm a student and a young guy so i don't wear them as much. and the upfront price is pretty steep. i'd love a pair of alden or bespoke shoes but i'd have to skip eating for a few months to get them

I think the question is on the assumption one can actually afford nice things without being as wealthy as Warren or Bill.

When I was like you and I just finished school, my one and only pair of dress shoes was a Bally. Not Scribe. But a 2 tone black Bally with front toecap made of shiny leather and the vamp made of another type of 'creasy' leather. Last was as fitting as a EG. Bought it during a Bally sale but it was very nice and lasted me for a long time until it was given away. If not, I would still be rotating the bad boy.

DeCabota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
I think Cioni2k means that people see dress shoes as a kind of shoe they have to wear when they can't wear sneakers. That means they wouldn't spend a lot of money on them.

Do your think your estimates of 7 months for cheap dress shoes and 10 years for AE are accurate?

These were just estimates based on simple polling of coworkers who wear cheap shoes. The AE estimate is based on my experience.

twistoffat

Reaction score
I suppose the whole issue is that ignoring lower Income groups is there actually a correlation between wealth and taste. This question transends beyond fashion into other areas. What defines good taste....can its be learned or does it result from cultural influences. Wealthy Russians are known for their vulgar excess but the collective group regards their excesses as the norm. What I personally would regard as Vulgar they regard as the height of good taste.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
I think the question is on the assumption one can actually afford nice things without being as wealthy as Warren or Bill.

When I was like you and I just finished school, my one and only pair of dress shoes was a Bally. Not Scribe. But a 2 tone black Bally with front toecap made of shiny leather and the vamp made of another type of 'creasy' leather. Last was as fitting as a EG. Bought it during a Bally sale but it was very nice and lasted me for a long time until it was given away. If not, I would still be rotating the bad boy.

i guess, when i graduate i'll probably buy a nicer shoe. but i bought the dockers because i read i think on here that leather bottom shoes do badly in the rain. '

how cheaply can i get ballys shoes ?

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
how cheaply can i get ballys shoes ?

I dont know. Unless you are staying in Europe and you hop into a time machine to go many years into the past, I reckon it would not be that cheap! I think I got it at that time for like 100 bucks. But couldnt be sure.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me introduce you to a certain gentleman by the name of John Stuart Mill, and a concept called Utilitarianism.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads