• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my TA for a film class i took wore what seemed to be only rick and yohji

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Das Racist dudes are hipsters from Brooklyn, I think they've also namedropped Rag and Bone? I'm sure the know all the fashion brands/labels, I've seen them pimp vintage varsities that look like Toj.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahah. not to "name drop" but i actually met the beard guy (vic?) from das racist, before das racist existed (was in a band called Boy Crisis). funny/interesting guy.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you would be surprised. rick tops wit voluminous yohji skirt was her "stock in trade" look

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Das Racist is like Girl Talk. It's hip hop for white college girls who feel too self-conscious to listen to "black music" but still want to seem edgy and diverse

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Das Racist dudes are hipsters from Brooklyn, I think they've also namedropped Rag and Bone? I'm sure the know all the fashion brands/labels, I've seen them pimp vintage varsities that look like Toj.

There's a song on Sit Down, Man called Fashion Party which is entirely this.

"This garbage bag is Lahn-vahn, why you call it "Lan-vin", you people really educated out here in the Hamptons." etc etc

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
ahah. not to "name drop" but i actually met the beard guy (vic?) from das racist, before das racist existed (was in a band called Boy Crisis). funny/interesting guy.

****, that's where I'd seen him before. I thought that Boy Crisis guy looked familiar. Dogg do you know Wallpaper at all? They pretty much take the hipster cake but they also did a really good mix of the Boy Crisis song Fountain of Youth.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
Das Racist is like Girl Talk. It's hip hop for white college girls who feel too self-conscious to listen to "black music" but still want to seem edgy and diverse

I don't really want to have to apologize for liking goofier or poppier hip hop, does it make me a worse person if I'd rather listen to Girl Talk or A Tribe Called Quest rather than whatever thing Lil Wayne came out with this afternoon?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
I don't really want to have to apologize for liking goofier or poppier hip hop, does it make me a worse person if I'd rather listen to Girl Talk or A Tribe Called Quest rather than whatever thing Lil Wayne came out with this afternoon?
I have no idea why you'd lump Tribe in with Girl Talk. Really. Do you also listen to 3oh3?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Triple postin for another Das Racist quote:
"This vintage Nautica jacket from when I was like 12, this **** is fly though, all with the white racing stripe only down one side... get em 12 year old me."

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why you'd lump Tribe in with Girl Talk. Really.

Do you also listen to 3oh3?

**** no man 3oh3 is dumb and boring and not in a good way.

I mean Tribe is another one that white people listen to when they want more digestible hip hop. Not nearly to the same degree as Girl Talk, but the demographic is definitely there. Nonstop cowboy boots and Humpty Dance t shirts.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
me and mrobideaux were going to fashion week parties with some of his friends and this guy vic and his bandmate started talking to us in front of some party. after that day i never saw him or his boy crisis bandmate again.

i like shock g, he was good on 5 on it rmx.

i just watched a 3oh!3 music video. this is interesting to say the least. who listens to them? 12-15 year olds?

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol wut. trolling? where are you going with this dude, most college girls 1) would not be into das racist on a pretty shallow catchiness-radio-friendly-sound basis, 2) not getting their jokes/references/appreciating their wit etc and 3) are not anything bordering on self-concious when it comes to pop music or rap; 4) das racist does not seem edgy to anyone as far as I know. where do you/did you go to school?

Also girl talk remixes dance pop and radio hip hop with largely guitar driven classic rock and indie? wouldn't call that hip hop.
eh.gif
also lol at racial projection, girl talk is just fun party music, why so serious

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
i just watched a 3oh!3 music video. this is interesting to say the least. who listens to them? 12-15 year olds?

Yeah mostly. They got super big at my high school for a while, it was bizarre. Blows my mind that every single song has the same four-chord progression but whatever, at that age I think it's more important to have something angry and vaguely swaggy to latch on to than to be all well versed in your genres of choice. If music is even your deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads