• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Wow, I never knew about that]

Well duh, everyone knows THAT!
tounge.gif

i didnt, couldnt find it on the wysiwyg editor. thanks guys.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Isn't there some way we could verify newbies posts? These spammers who post "real" posts with the links at the bottom are a pain **********. I keep thinking its some new guy until I read the post and its a bunch of broken Engrish and half sentences. ****, this one was actually well written: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=27 Maybe institute a captcha for the first 10 - 20 posts?

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
don't listen to him. Harry Rosen is balls unless you're going for suits and Holt's is good but not as good as the stores in the states. We just started getting Thom Browne, and such a small selection at that. We have, to my knowledge, no Dior stockists as of 3 or 4 seasons ago. I wish ya'll would expand in the great north.

its great for grown up clothes though

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Isn't there some way we could verify newbies posts? These spammers who post "real" posts with the links at the bottom are a pain **********. I keep thinking its some new guy until I read the post and its a bunch of broken Engrish and half sentences. ****, this one was actually well written: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=27 Maybe institute a captcha for the first 10 - 20 posts?
wow. that is incredible. i know it's not like the bot is "coming up" with this stuff, it's just drawing from a database, but why didn't people program bots like that before? i am used to bots talking about "china dick xxx israel palestine conflict prons"

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hey J - can you kill this IP address 79.111.110.3/79.111.94.156 as well as 88.85.187.52

There were like 20 spam accounts today created from them.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Originally Posted by Rambo
Isn't there some way we could verify newbies posts? These spammers who post "real" posts with the links at the bottom are a pain **********. I keep thinking its some new guy until I read the post and its a bunch of broken Engrish and half sentences. ****, this one was actually well written:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=27

Maybe institute a captcha for the first 10 - 20 posts?

wow. that is incredible. i know it's not like the bot is "coming up" with this stuff, it's just drawing from a database, but why didn't people program bots like that before?

i am used to bots talking about "china dick xxx israel palestine conflict prons"

It's actually copied from here
http://www.classicrockersnetwork.com...rolling-stones

And I'm not sure a captcha would work. I wouldn't be surprised if some or even the majority of these spam posts lately were written by actual people. For $0.50 an hour or whatever wages are in China etc, it's cheaper and more effective than developing some complex algorithm to do a poorer job.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
It's actually copied from here http://www.classicrockersnetwork.com...rolling-stones And I'm not sure a captcha would work. I wouldn't be surprised if some or even the majority of these spam posts lately were written by actual people. For $0.50 an hour or whatever wages are in China etc, it's cheaper and more effective than developing some complex algorithm to do a poorer job.
Maybe not on the first few posts. But I seriously doubt that they'd keep it up continuously for an extended period of time.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
hey J - can you kill this IP address 79.111.110.3/79.111.94.156 as well as 88.85.187.52

There were like 20 spam accounts today created from them.

and ban registrations from any email with veriosa in the domain for the same reason...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a few serious requests. AAAC has a feature in the B&S where one can close one's own thread off... is it possible to add that feature? I use the "my posts" button all the time to follow up on threads I've commented in. Is there a way to add another button that will show me any post where I've been quoted? I think that would be really useful.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Is there a way to add another button that will show me any post where I've been quoted? I think that would be really useful.

Seach "Master-Classter" and filter by posts, not threads.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The forum has been running very slow for me the past two weeks. This seems to be a chronic problem here that I don't encounter anywhere else.

I think two things need to be done:

1. Move to a faster host. Clearly they are not getting the job done.

2. Upgrade the vBulletin software. 3.6.4 is very out of date by now and with the volume of pics here I think that is an issue. Some forums allow you to do a setting where pics cannot be requoted. That might work well here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things have been very funky slow lately. I don't run into this on any other site either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads