• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

laserjpb

Reaction score
Question on a pair of cognac Magnanni Rafael lace ups I just picked up (nice price, $189 from 269)...

I like the look and finish of the leather but what would you pair this light "cognac" brown with? I was thinking gray wool but was wondering everyone's thoughts on other combos? Khaki? Navy blue? Stonewash?

Also, what is the feel on the "smoked/fade" toe effect? Works? Doesn't work?
A bit modern but my thought is it makes what would be an otherwise boring brown plain-toe a bit more interesting...

Thanks!

Scotty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael34
I have just one question, did any of you guys read all of this thread? It is damn long and never ending.
I read just the last pages for the newest questions/answers and maybe some others randomly to try and learn something from those answers. Any short question should go here so this is effectively never ending.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
why should the quarters be closed so as not to show "turkey triangle"
i have seen jackets that are cut to intentionally have "turkey triangle"

If you like it go for it, but it looks ****. Like people wearing untucked shirts under woolen sweaters thinking it gives off an air of devil may care casual Ã
00a9.png
lan when in reality it either makes you look like a scruffy schoolboy or that you're trying too hard to give off an air of casual Ã
00a9.png
lan.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The pinch test will tell you whether the jacket is canvassed or not. This is not bad advice. Fabric quality and other aspects of construction quality are things that you really have to experience to recognize. If you don't have the experience, it's not a bad idea to look for labels that are known to produce quality goods.
Thanks for both answers. My next question is more specific. I measure out to a 38 l. As far ad I can tell, virtually no on makes suits in this size. I am looking to spend around 500. Am I doomed to online m2m? My measurements. Chest: 37.5 in Shoulders:18-18.5 (I'm not quite sure if i'm doing this one correctly sleeves: 26 in (I don't have a good suit to get this measurement off of but I think this is right) Jacket length: 31 in. From what I can tell, I my shoulders may fit in some 40l, but will leave a lot of room in the chest for me to tailor. So my two questions are Can I tailor 2 to 3 inches off the chest without destroying how the jacket looks Or Can anyone tell me where to get a 38l suit for 500 or so

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
If you like it go for it, but it looks ****. Like people wearing untucked shirts under woolen sweaters thinking it gives off an air of devil may care casual Ã
00a9.png
lan when in reality it either makes you look like a scruffy schoolboy or that you're trying too hard to give off an air of casual Ã
00a9.png
lan.

my question is why does it look like **** to you? i am looking for justifications. if it's just that you're old and learned it was a "fashion rule" when you were young, then why even bother putting it out there? i could go pick up a cosmopolitan magazine and find out if i'm a "winter" or a "summer" and it wouldn't change anything. if there are practical reasons against it, let's hear it.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
my question is why does it look like **** to you? i am looking for justifications. if it's just that you're old and learned it was a "fashion rule" when you were young, then why even bother putting it out there? i could go pick up a cosmopolitan magazine and find out if i'm a "winter" or a "summer" and it wouldn't change anything. if there are practical reasons against it, let's hear it.
It can work on a very limited few. You have to be very skinny though. If not it looks like your stomach is bulging out of a too small jacket. I am relatively fashion forward compared to a lot of people here and i woild say approach with extreme caution. Without the right body and perfect tailoring it often look less trendy and more ill fitting.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Thanks for both answers. My next question is more specific. I measure out to a 38 l. As far ad I can tell, virtually no on makes suits in this size. I am looking to spend around 500. Am I doomed to online m2m?

My measurements.

Chest: 37.5 in

Shoulders:18-18.5 (I'm not quite sure if i'm doing this one correctly

sleeves: 26 in (I don't have a good suit to get this measurement off of but I think this is right)

Jacket length: 31 in.

From what I can tell, I my shoulders may fit in some 40l, but will leave a lot of room in the chest for me to tailor.

So my two questions are

Can I tailor 2 to 3 inches of the chest without destroying how the jacket looks
Or
Can anyone tell me where to get a 38l suit for 500 or so

1) How tall are you that you need an L?

2) Sleeves get adjusted. It's normal.

3) If you're broad shouldered to your chest then look at the brands that aren't cut with slim shoulders.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
1) How tall are you that you need an L?

2) Sleeves get adjusted. It's normal.

3) If you're broad shouldered to your chest then look at the brands that aren't cut with slim shoulders.

I'm 6'3". Also my concern is the chest not sleeves. As to 3 I am not sure i am even broad shouldered enough for a 40. That is part of my concern.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I meant broad shouldered for somebody with a 38 inch chest. Some brands cut the shoulders slim. Some cut them wide. Anything cut with narrow shoulders a person with wide shoulders would need a bigger size. That makes everything else too big. Better to ignore these brands and find one that fits you better in your shoulder.

I think the rule is more then 6 inches wider then the chest. So take your tape measure and measure over the arm your shoulders. At close to six inches a person is average. The wider you get the more the shoulders become an issue.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
No I meant broad shouldered for somebody with a 38 inch chest. Some brands cut the shoulders slim. Some cut them wide. Anything cut with narrow shoulders a person with wide shoulders would need a bigger size. That makes everything else too big. Better to ignore these brands and find one that fits you better in your shoulder. I think the rule is more then 6 inches wider then the chest. So take your tape measure and measure over the arm your shoulders. At close to six inches a person is average. The wider you get the more the shoulders become an issue.
I get it now. I measured about a 1.5 in down from the top of my shoulder and got almost exactly 44. Edit: I had someone else re measure me and they are getting more like 45 or 46. Where should I be measuring.

Johnx

Reaction score
Hey

It is okay to wear Allen Edmonds black cap toe oxfords with dark blue jeans, or must they be brown?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnx
Hey

It is okay to wear Allen Edmonds black cap toe oxfords with dark blue jeans, or must they be brown?

You could wear black or brown with jeans. But why would you wear such a formal shoe with jeans?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
I get it now. I measured about a 1.5 in down from the top of my shoulder and got almost exactly 44.

Edit: I had someone else re measure me and they are getting more like 45 or 46. Where should I be measuring.

I think it's supposed to the widest part of your shoulder area. It's hard to do it yourself so best to go with the other measurement.

Johnx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
You could wear black or brown with jeans. But why would you wear such a formal shoe with jeans?

I was just wondering - I suppose I choose some another trousers.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When listing in B&S, is it considered poor form or a bannable offense to add, say, two new items every few days?

It'd make things easier. It would also seem to keep the thread bumped w/o a price reduction, I guess. Couldn't find this in the rules.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads