• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baseball caps

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dougie
International sign for Dude Who Hasn't Bathed.

lol
rolleyes.gif

madstaxbro

Reaction score
Those vintage style Cooperstown caps are awesome but real hard to find. Those are the only ones I like.

East2West

Reaction score
I saw a Lanvin cap today for around six hundred

Mbogo

Reaction score
I wear them, but only for pure function. I think the look in general is really lame- a high school boys' thing. And peel the damned stickers off them, for crying out loud! I always wondered what paragon of pop culture style started that marsupialed trend.

But, being semi-bald and fair skinned, I burn to a crisp in the summer and freeze in the winter. So a decent ballcap with a sports logo is my go-to head cover, but only because I couldn't find a decent fitted one without a logo at a price I was willing to pay. For serious time outdoors, like working in the tropics, or hiking, or spending a day on the water, I wear a broader-brimmed hat, either a boonie or a Tilley, neither of which I like the look of much.

The problem is that for most outdoor activities, which tend to be casual, a straw hat or fedora or anything cooler looks really contrived and out of place to me. For instance, if I went on a bike ride wearing a fedora, I'd look like a major dork, as would anyone.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Ebbet's Field? J.Crew Has them, Inventory did a big feature on them in their latest issue. They make vintage caps of old teams with vintage construction.

I personally like 5-panel hats when I can find them. Most of those get into hype-beasty territory but they fit my head better than any baseball caps.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Ebbet's Field? J.Crew Has them, Inventory did a big feature on them in their latest issue. They make vintage caps of old teams with vintage construction.

Avoid J. Crew and their markups.
Ebbets sells them directly and some at 60 percent off.

coldforge

Reaction score
I have no interest in baseball, or in baseball caps—but with summer approaching and the ICC starting up I'm sorely tempted to order myself a baggy cricket cap.
baggy%20cap%20cat%20pic.jpg

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
When I do wear a hat, 5-panels like these from Norse Projects are good. Simple, clean, slightly different than most caps you see...and the 5 panel construction conforms to your head without the rigid front panel that sticks up on hats like New Era. (hate the look of New Era fitted caps). It's also possible to remove the mesh lining in New Era caps so that the front panel where the team logo sits is soft instead of popping up. I did this with my SF Giants cap for baseball season. There are tutorials online.

http://www.norseprojects.com/categor...11/accessories

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
J. Crew has some plain, all-cotton ball caps in a bunch of different colors

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...3407/43407.jsp

Are there any companies that make quality ball caps, preferably not made-in-China? I know ball caps are considered a sartorial no-no around here, but there are certain times when I'd like to wear a plain one

those are REALLY ugly.

Originally Posted by MSSneaker
When I do wear a hat, 5-panels like these from Norse Projects are good. Simple, clean, slightly different than most caps you see...and the 5 panel construction conforms to your head without the rigid front panel that sticks up on hats like New Era. (hate the look of New Era fitted caps). It's also possible to remove the mesh lining in New Era caps so that the front panel where the team logo sits is soft instead of popping up. I did this with my SF Giants cap for baseball season. There are tutorials online.

http://www.norseprojects.com/categor...11/accessories

these are dope

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I have some Ebbets Field, Cuban League Caps (my favorites) and vintage Atlanta Braves Hats (Milwaukee, Boston, etc)

Also have a fitted Braves hat for practice or when I play sandlot ball

anothergreenworld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Cooperstown Ball Cap closed.
frown.gif
I want to find a decent flannel cap without a logo, but no luck so far.

Cooperstown Ballcaps didn't quite close... they're transforming under Ideal Cap Co. Email Will: [email protected] for custom orders or a catalog. Also, Ebbets will totally make a plain cap at their custom price ($48)... So will Cooperstown Ballcap.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hardly wear them. I have two I do wear when I need to. A blue Paul Smith baseball hat I bought about 8 years ago when I was doing some travelling and needed something. Also bought a Filson hat...I was in Portland and it was raining and I wanted a hat that was water resistant (waxed cotton or canvas or whatever). The filson was really nice, I was doing yardwork at my parents house and it kept me pretty warm actually. both have very small logos/stamps on them. EDIT: Oh wait, I do have a Billabong Trucker hat. I use it when I go to the beach.
5467224319_28fee38ce9_z.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads