• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Fortunately, Korea's a little less like that. That said, to be safe I never meet a student in a room with no camera. That camera's my safety net.

LOL, a camera! I tell kids jokingly some of the items in my room are cameras...lol. I just never allow myself to be in a room alone with a student, and if one comes in while I'm at my desk and the room is empty (only one or two periods a week) I will get up and walk towards the door.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
As a non-professionally certified teacher who would prefer to teach University, though international schools are also a possibility, what graduate degree do you suppose would be most useful off the bat? A PGDE or MEd?
Originally Posted by Rambo
What field do you want to teach in? If you want to go international, wouldn't TESOL be a good place to start?
+1.Maybe a Master's in TESOL is the best thing for what you're doing, Eason.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
MA Tesol is the obvious route, but since I'm a Nutrition and Exercise Science major with a sports background and certification, I was thinking of doing MEd with a specialization in Physical Education and shooting for a job at a polytech/sports university.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to stay overseas? Where are you thinking of teaching?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Its amazing how one dresses with kids influences how they treat/respect you.

I applaud you for the way you dress in the classroom. Of course it's not just the kids. Everyone gives more respect to a person who dresses well.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Are you looking to stay overseas? Where are you thinking of teaching?

Yeah, I'd like to stay overseas. At least, for the next 5-10 years. Sports Universities in HK/South Korea are my thought right now.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eason, it might be possible, but I would think it would be hard to get a job like that in the ROK. But I'm guessing your Korean is pretty good since you lived there before.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You want to get a masters to be a ******* PE teacher? Come on, Eason, that's just sad.
Who said I wanted to be a PE teacher? I want to either be teaching English or an exercise-science-related subject.
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Eason, it might be possible, but I would think it would be hard to get a job like that in the ROK. But I'm guessing your Korean is pretty good since you lived there before.
Korean not as good as my Chinese
frown.gif
but maybe more opportunities there.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Who said I wanted to be a PE teacher? I want to either be teaching English or an exercise-science-related subject.
I figured and was just ******* with you. Given that path I think you might be better off with getting your masters in your field of study (exercise science) and just getting certified. A masters in "education" is functionally worthless. Everybody in Education thinks that they're a "master of education theory". You're much better off with something that specializes you in your field. An Exercise Science teacher with two degrees is a valuable commodity. Plus, with that second "Science" degree you could probably swing a backup job teaching standard Science.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I've worked very hard to establish a rapport with parents, kids, and leaders in my community, and as a man, I feel I've had to work doubly hard at it to get it. Female teachers can put an arm around a kid, or hug a kid at graduation without the thought crossing people's minds'. Unfortunately, its just something you need to combat as a man in this profession. You know, its not manly to care for kids, in fact, if you do, there must be something wrong with you. The thing is its not just a commentary on male teachers, but men in general.

Wow, makes me glad I'm not working in the US. Maybe it's because I teach university, but I frequently share lunches with students and there are a few who I am friends with outside of school. I've even had a number of parties at clubs/my apt where a lot of students came. I'm sure this is all probably unthinkable in the US.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I figured and was just ******* with you. Given that path I think you might be better off with getting your masters in your field of study (exercise science) and just getting certified. A masters in "education" is functionally worthless. Everybody in Education thinks that they're a "master of education theory". You're much better off with something that specializes you in your field. An Exercise Science teacher with two degrees is a valuable commodity. Plus, with that second "Science" degree you could probably swing a backup job teaching standard Science.
The thing is, my university doesn't offer a degree in Exercise Science- so no employee discount tuition. You think it would be worth paying a lot more to get an Exercise Science degree instead of MEd, PE specialization or MEd ELT? I'm already an NSCA personal trainer and have worked for both hospitals and commercial companies in cardiac rehab, I would have thought doing another Ex Sci degree would limit me, not the opposite.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The thing is, my university doesn't offer a degree in Exercise Science- so no employee discount tuition. You think it would be worth paying a lot more to get an Exercise Science degree instead of MEd, PE specialization or MEd ELT? I'm already an NSCA personal trainer and have worked for both hospitals and commercial companies in cardiac rehab, I would have thought doing another Ex Sci degree would limit me, not the opposite.
Well that's a different story. What's the discount? Often times, at least in the US, if you get a job with a county they run programs where they will subsidize your tuition somewhat if you go for another degree in an at-need area. They have anything like that outside of the university, overseas? I'm not necessarily sure if it would be worth it, per se, but I don't really see the point in a MEdu degree. What do they teach you that's worthwhile? I swear I've never run into anybody who's had a masters in Education. Plus, a Masters in Education, that's not TESOL related, will limit you to the education field. With an ExSci degree you could, in theory, move outside the classroom if you had to. A multi-tasker, if you will.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Well that's a different story. What's the discount? Often times, at least in the US, if you get a job with a county they run programs where they will subsidize your tuition somewhat if you go for another degree in an at-need area. They have anything like that outside of the university, overseas?

I'm not necessarily sure if it would be worth it, per se, but I don't really see the point in a MEdu degree. What do they teach you that's worthwhile? I swear I've never run into anybody who's had a masters in Education. Plus, a Masters in Education, that's not TESOL related, will limit you to the education field. With an ExSci degree you could, in theory, move outside the classroom if you had to. A multi-tasker, if you will.

Discount is about 50% of normal cost. No programs like that in China for me, unfortunately.
frown.gif
Well, they don't teach anything worthwhile really- I think my pedagogy is second to none and I have a lot of really good experience. But, the market seems to demand I have a Masters and who am I to refuse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads