• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

scypticalchymist

Reaction score
I am wondering if Chaps ever produced canvassed jackets? I have a Made in Canada jacket that is fairly old (70% wool, 30% Alpaca). Following this thread, http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=81031, I found that the jacket is at least half-canvassed compared to my new Chaps, which is obviously fused. Going to put it up on B&S and don't want to mislead anyone. Thanks.

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clynt
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to all this stuff and I was advised by SW&D to ask here. I bought these AEs off of ebay and I'm trying to figure out which model this is: Link Also since this is my first pair of leather shoes worth taking care of, I had a question. On the AE website their shoe polish does not come in burgundy. I did some searching and read contradicting advice on using brown polish on burgundy shoes. I also read that black polish can make them look good. Any ideas what I should get? Thanks a lot.
Those look like the Lexington model.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Before SF I stocked my wardrobe with about 15 BB non-iron slim fit shirts. This is before they came out with the extra slim fit and before I found other companies I knew were making non-iron. Now that I realize how important fit is, these just don't seem to be doing it. Should I:

a) Get my shirts tailored
b) get rid of them and build a new wardrobe?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is "turkey triangle"

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE

I didn't coin this phrase but I understand it to be the elongated isosceles triangle of shirt/tie/belt visible beneath the buttoning point of a jacket due to open quarters that result from a poorly fitting/tailored jacket.

rainzack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewie
There is specific wax products for waxed leather. Or Mink Oil will work. I have used both with good results. As for brushing them...maybe a soft brush would be ok, but anything too rough will show up on the surface of the shoes.

D

Can you tell me the brand name of that product you have used before? many thanks

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are my options if I am looking for an unlined suede chukka besides the Alden chukkas. I would also like to keep it under 400 USD.

Thanks for your replies.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
I didn't coin this phrase but I understand it to be the elongated isosceles triangle of shirt/tie/belt visible beneath the buttoning point of a jacket due to open quarters that result from a poorly fitting/tailored jacket.

Or trousers with a rise that's too low.

You can also get something like a turkey triangle if you're wearing a vest with trousers that are too low. A visible belt buckle just compounds the problem, though that particular faux pas has become fashionable of late.
ffffuuuu.gif

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
What are my options if I am looking for an unlined suede chukka besides the Alden chukkas. I would also like to keep it under 400 USD.

Thanks for your replies.

I cannot speak for their quality, but here's what I found. Also, some look lined, but Pediwear normally calls out "leather lining," and doesn't on these.

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/grenson/products/1440.php
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/562.php
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2063.php
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/1066.php
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/3063.php
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/2915.php

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I should really have given more info with my q. I am looking for a very casual shoes, a substitute for the Clarks DB. I only intend to wear it over the weekend with jeans and such

I had something like this in mind. Of course I could buy the Clarks DB but they cost around 100 GBP landed in India and their quality is supposed to be very average. So I was thinking that maybe I would get something better in terms of quality.

I do have a AS chukkas with a dainite sole and a sand colored derby brogue with a crepe sole.

Thanks

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai

You can also get something like a turkey triangle if you're wearing a vest with trousers that are too low. A visible belt buckle just compounds the problem, though that particular faux pas has become fashionable of late.
ffffuuuu.gif

Yeah good points. I've noticed that bloke on 'White Collar' does the visible belt buckle under the waistcoat thing and it looks crap!

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I should really have given more info with my q. I am looking for a very casual shoes, a substitute for the Clarks DB. I only intend to wear it over the weekend with jeans and such

I had something like this in mind. Of course I could buy the Clarks DB but they cost around 100 GBP landed in India and their quality is supposed to be very average. So I was thinking that maybe I would get something better in terms of quality.

I do have a AS chukkas with a dainite sole and a sand colored derby brogue with a crepe sole.

Thanks

How about these as an intermediate choice? http://www.zappos.com/frye-oliver-ch...uede?zlfid=111

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
why should the quarters be closed so as not to show "turkey triangle"
i have seen jackets that are cut to intentionally have "turkey triangle"

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai

ffffuuuu.gif

i actually read somewhere on here that j.crew and banana cut their pants/vests in such a way that the belt will be showing on purpose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads