• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British workwear / heritage brands

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You've missed a couple. Oliver Spencer comes immediately to mind.
Thanks - I tend to think of his more tailored garments, but good call.
Originally Posted by London
D.S. Dundee is an interesting brand, as they have a mix of tailoring and formal elements as well:

http://the189.com/style/fashion/d-s-...tion-lookbook/

Again I'd forgetten they do the less formal wear.
Originally Posted by Find Finn
Folk, Garbstore, Inverallan?
Folk & Garbstore were silly ommisions. I left out Inverallan because it's pretty much unavailable, although Zissou's thread is worrying my bank manager.
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
north sea clothing, aero leather
Yes - hopefully north sea clothing will expand their range a bit. Not familiar with aero leather - will look them up.
Originally Posted by zissou
I find myself interested in British heritage brands these days more than anything else. As my infatuation with Nigel Cabourn seems to be waning, I've like what I've seen from Universal Works. It all looks fairly simply designed, but seems to be well made from interesting materials (all in the UK?).

Can we lump Ireland in on this thread? If so, I vote for Inis Meain. Their knitwear is fantastic.

I'm looking to update my casual wardrobe - my MC wear tends to be very British and I like using smaller local companies. I don't know whether all of Universal Works clothing is made in the UK, if not the majority is. A Waddington body warmer arrived today and quality seems very good. I like Nigel Cabourn's work (I don't regret either of my purchase), and can't fault the quality but his prices are too rich for more than the odd key piece.

Ireland is geographically in the British Isles so why not. Any Guernsey/Jersey/Isle of Man recommendations?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Nice to hear about the Waddington. I just ordered one at a great price, and am patiently waiting for it. I have a feeling I'll have to take it in a little on the sides, but we'll see...

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
aeroleatherclothing.com

and their leather from what i hear is in a world of its own. i did an order recently, but it wont be done for a while, so ill get back to you when i have the jacket.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
^Nice to hear about the Waddington. I just ordered one at a great price, and am patiently waiting for it. I have a feeling I'll have to take it in a little on the sides, but we'll see...

My chest is 42.5" waist 37" (yes I need to loose weight..) and a Large is a pretty perfect fit over a medium weight sweater. If I'm being picky I'd have prefered plaited leather 'football buttons' to the moulded ones fitted, but that's an easy swap if it bothers me too much.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aw, the buttons are molded? Too bad. I ordered the M and have a 39" chest, so maybe it will come up just right with a sweater.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw British workwear I thought this would be about riot police armor and CCTV repairmen jumpsuits.

gearhead

Reaction score
As well as Boots and Shoes by:

Church's
Tricker's
Grenson
Dr.Martens

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gearhead
As well as Boots and Shoes by:

Church's
Tricker's
Grenson
Dr.Martens

Shoes are probably worth a second thread, but I'll add:

Sanders
Alfred Sargent
Barker
Loake
Cheaney
Duckers
Edward Green

(John Lobb, Cleverley, Gaziano & Girling might do more workwear inspired shoes, but they're pretty much MC style makers)

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This past December I purchased a grey marled wool scarf by Universal Works - tagged made in England. Very nice and comfy with a reasonable price.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whos the best european retailer for Universal Works? The style is really starting to grow on me, esp the pants.

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I'm not familiar with Percival.
What's the sizing like? Generous like Universal Works or small like Heritage Research?

I am not directly familiar with fit, but heard it is more tailored than Albam. I was considering ordering directly from them when their Spring line is released on their site.

Speaking of Heritage Research, it seems they also have generous sizing. I take a medium in most everything and can get wear smalls based on some of their measurements. Have you experienced the same? I only have the shawl collar deck sweater but am ordering the Fausto Coppi jacket and the Flyer Jacket.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered Cro' Jack, which seems to produce solid, British-made garments. The prices seem pretty reasonable as well. Their website is pretty lousy, but if you Google it, you'll come up with some webshops. Triads has a bunch of stuff for half off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads