• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
I would be writing to Hilary and including images of the 'damage'.

Originally Posted by Jorge
I think taking this issue to the Secretary of State is going overboard, even if they are shoes.

It would be Hilary (single 'l') Freeman, not Hillary (double 'l') Clinton!

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was the creaking at least fixed by the re-craft?

I agree with the others that the damage to the uppers isn't acceptable. However, if it can be polished out I'd grumble under my breath and live with it. If it can't be polished out then yes, I'd politely raise a little hell to have them fix it or replace it.

Which e-mail address did you use to contact Edward Green? I'd sent them a couple since the beginning of the year have have not heard nothing back.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I would be angry too, but there is no such thing as a safe recraft.

EVERY time I have sent anything in for a "factory" recraft, there have been errors. The good thing is that the companies have always made good on their errors.

Example 1: Sent in a pair of AEs for a resole. They came back with 3 awl-holes in the uppers, near the welt. Fix: free pair of AEs in the future

Example 2: Sent in my Barbour for a rewax and to patch a hole in the sleeve. Came back with both sleeves shortened (irreversibly) by 2 inches. Fix: I sent the jacket back on their dime and they re-fitted brand new sleeves. They also offered me a brand new jacket instead of the re-sleeve but I had too much sentimental attachment to my original

Example 3: Sent a pair of Aldens Color 8 shells in for recrafting. I said DO NOT refinish the upper at all. They came back with the uppers refinished and with a slight "dent" in one of the penny straps. Fix: Coupon for free recraft.

Work with EG to get something to your satisfaction and don't think that recrafting is something which is safe. Recrafts can often cause more damage/bigger problems than they what they were initially intended to fix.

By the way, those spots on your Chelseas are annoying but will go away after more wear and more polishings. Leather that color doesn't stay spotless.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
This is garbage. Get free shoes out of this for the markings on your shoes and the crappy overall experience. Should not be the case with $1200 shoes.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
This is garbage. Get free shoes out of this for the markings on your shoes and the crappy overall experience. Should not be the case with $1200 shoes.

Maybe so, but it just is.

I'm too lazy to go dig it up, but there have been threads on SF (maybe from a few years ago) which discuss the risk in dealing with recrafting and special orders, even with EG. Many people order X and get Y or send in for recrafting as A and get recrafting as B. Others sometimes just get back stuff which has a few dings (like the OP). It just happens.

I agree, get some form of compensation but, in the future, don't expect miracles from recrafting.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
That is bullfuckingshit with the edge dressing right there. I would have went apeshit.

I’m not sure how these stains could have happened. EG, like most factories, wrap their shoes in plastic foil throughout all the stages of production.

Here a shoe gets the sole and welt inking applied, still wrapped in it’s protective plastic:

EGinking.jpg

Contact the factory, not the shop!

Still taken from this video

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not overreacting at all.
If anything you are rather calm about this.

They basically botched up every single task they had to perform, including the one they didn't have to perform.
Some could be attributed to misunderstandings.

But to send back the Chelseas in this condition? That's just sloppy sub-sub-par workmanship.
They probably didn't feel like wrapping the uppers properly. Lazy.
To provide some perspective, these shoes in their current condition wouldn't even make the cut as the much-maligned AE Seconds. Appalling.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was the gentleman you corresponded with Chris Gumbs by any chance?

I would expect them to make this right. True, with almost any other maker this is to be expected, but with EG? Hell to the naw. Save creasing, your shoes should come back like a new pair. And their new pairs don't look anything like this. I have owned several pairs and never once remotely had an issue like this.

Especially with their prices rising exorbitantly.

Sixers_610

Reaction score
That's messed up. Those are gorgeous shoes either way.

Bentley

Reaction score
I think this is very poor service for such an expensive pair of shoes. I'd expect a free pair of shoes out of it.

Let us know how it goes. I've been thinking about buying a pair of EG's but stories such as this put me off.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone made a mistake alright.

Anyway, I don't usually get the pleasure you guys get when seeing nice shoes, but wow, those are some wonderful looking shoes. They look sleek without looking gimmicky.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it seems that the consensus is that I'm not getting worked up over nothing. NORE, I had been communicating with Christopher Grumbs, the Jermyn St store manager. He was very nice every time that I communicated with him. He is bad about returning emails, however.

I am worried that they will think I'm a complainer. One of the emails that Chris did not reply to was about purchasing a new pair of shoes. My shoes were off for a recraft during EGs winter sale. I inquired about purchasing a new pair, so maybe they could send me 3 pair back, instead of 2. That was one of the emails that went unanswered. I sent Chris and email indicating that I was less than satisfied with the service to date (before I received my shoes). I also indicated that one of my emails that was unanswered was about purchasing additional shoes. This "complaint" email also went unanswered. Needless to say, I didn't purchase another pair because they never answered my inquiry about purchasing.

Does anyone have the contact info for the factory? I would like to message them to see about a resolution. I am hesitant to send any shoes back because of the expense of int'l postage. I spent around $140 just on postage to and from the factory for the Chelseas and Westminsters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads