• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are show/pet DHs? It's not unusual that they chased, but once they caught up to the deer taking it down is very impressive.

Must post pics.

lefty

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
These are show/pet DHs? It's not unusual that they chased, but once they caught up to the deer taking it down is very impressive.

Must post pics.

lefty

One was an AKC champion and the other a rather largish ***** from Canada, who killed the deer. She was a magnificient beast, but not a show dog. I no longer have dh's, just a shelter mutt, down from 7 deerhounds and wolfhounds and the odd Afghan hound. I'll see if I can come up with an old pic.

Before
IMG_4408.jpg

Now
IMG_0600.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would have been a lot cooler had you just said, "Here she is."

Where in Canada? Love to see the pack if you can find the pics. All those hounds is a lot of "dog."

lefty

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would have been a lot cooler had you just said, "Here she is."

Where in Canada? Love to see the pack if you can find the pics. All those hounds is a lot of "dog."

lefty

Man, why didn't I think of that - one up on me again, Lefty.

Barb Heidenreich, Fernhill kennel, Ontario. My wife was heavily involved in dh's for years and she had acquired two from Fernhill whose hounds are bred to the standard and have a couple hundred acres upon which to roam. She breeds great coursers and many a champion.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember her from when I was researching DHs. Great pic from her site:
deerhounds1.jpg
lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't have the time to properly care for a real dog?

knit-dog-final1.jpg

knit-dog2.jpg

bestinshow-5.jpg

knitted-sheepdog_1708230c.jpg

lefty

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple shots - the rest are in the archives and too painful for me to dredge through.

This one is in northern Michigan - we had several acres and about 3/4 acre fenced. That's Lake Michigan at the top. Deer would sometimes jump the fence and one was unfortunate to have done so when I let the hounds out. I took the pic intending to have the dogs look like miniatures standing on the railing.
IMG_2735.jpg

This shows our last three in repose near the hearth.
IMG_2738.jpg

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool pics thanks for posting.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks - cool dogs and not for everyone. The deerhound breeders have been inundated with requests for puppies since Westminster. Hopefully, as the community is small, they'll hold out and continue to properly screen potential buyers.

I may be able to come up with a pic of them running - it's really spectacular to see a few of these in full gallop. Btw, when they hunted their traditional game, the Highland stag, they were sent in pairs and held the beast at bay until the hunter came and dispatched it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
This shows our last three in repose near the hearth.
IMG_2738.jpg

Great pic. Thanks. If they could have maintained that position while standing you'd have been at Carnegie Hall. lefty

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the only position they hold for any length of time:

IMG_2743.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How hellish was that on a rainy muddy day?

lefty

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How hellish was that on a rainy muddy day?

lefty

It helps to adjust the home environment - tile, dog couches, good sturdy carpets, wood floors and so forth - and not worry too much about the odd gnawed chair leg. It can be hellish with diarrhea, mud, blood, and so on with dogs this size, as I'm sure you know.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like those dogs but am too much of a girl when it comes to my furniture and I just don't think they would respond well to kenneling.

My wife just expressed an interest in the Airedale so I may have a wire-hair in my life sometime soon.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads