• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by driveslowk
It's a simple argument over having varied items/styles in your wardrobe vs something more "unified".

Some of kunk's fits look good and represent the Rick aesthetic well, but I just wanted to show that wearing the same designer all the time, even worse almost the same exact outfit where every piece you have is interchangable, is a lot worse than wearing a button-down one day and a Rick jacket the next.

Eh, I guess it just depends on what you're after. I know what you mean, though, about changing it up, originality, all that stuff. I'm really not trying to create a serious argument or anything, I was more trying to convey a point of view. I mean, I know I'm just spouting off my opinion here, and I don't have a problem with varied styles if thats your thing, but it's just not for me once the variation gets to a certain point.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imagetmh.jpg
Had to do a double take when I saw this poster. Kunk's real name is Warren zavatta, and he's some sort of French performing artist?

coldforge

Reaction score
I think zissou, pinkpantser, manofkent and me should make our own style website. The rest of you are fuckin' nuts.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldforge
I think zissou, pinkpantser, manofkent and me should make our own style website. The rest of you are fuckin' nuts.

Who are you?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a pair of rick tux pants to wear with ervell button downs and my ck jacket.

Not even kidding.

I was thinking about this yesterday while going through the SZ thread "What are you really wearing" (listing out number of pieces by designer, mostly - as in, what takes up most space in there) - and I realized that aside from a couple of brands that I've taken advantage of when they've been on sale (ervell, silent), no designer really outweighs another. Sort of a ~3 pieces from everyone concept. Now, I'm not sure where that'll take me - whether I'll end up sickened by an overly-eclectic wardrobe or basking in the glory of my myriad personalities; but I do know that I have plenty of ideas involving both ends of the spectrum. I also realized that I really dislike wearing black (rather, more than one or two black bits at once).

Anyway, I'm not sure if there's an equivalent WAYRW? thread on SF, and I'm of two minds about the possibility of it being interesting. I'm not so much curious about the breadth of brands worn by varying members, as we all know that there's quite the spread, but more with variation inside a single person's wardrobe (really just not sure if the forum has the maturity or attention span to discuss it at length). I imagine that quite a few people are like me, with a range of tones and designers - I'm not sure if that's because we're actually nothing more than internet nerds with ADD and debit cards, or if everyone is simply multi-faceted (I suspect a combination).

I, for one, don't feel at all that there's an amalgamation of **** in my wardrobe, it's more like (as I've mentioned) I enjoy having different facades for different days. Now, the next question is really "how much of a costume is your costume," because despite my daily variations in the fabrics that get placed onto my body, I definitely think that there's an underlying reality there. Not "Authenticity," because 1) that's a gros mot, and 2) it's an empty signifier with (Warning: OPINION) little to no relevance in aesthetics (and only when synonyms are found that aren't, like, "essence" or some other bullshit) - I would say, instead, that what I'm talking about is whimsy, and that's mostly what I strive for (strive is a strong word; I'm pretty much automatically attracted to any sort of destabilizing sartorial choices - now, whether these destabilizations actually fit into much more stable subcultures/trends is another question) in my daily escapades. La vie en beau! and all that, you know?

tl;dr: fashion is still like dungeons and dragons, except some people roll 20's despite being rogue orc-mages.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
tl;dr: fashion is still like dungeons and dragons, except some people roll 20's despite being rogue orc-mages.
Who you callin' an ugly thief witch?

It occurs to me, owning a pair, to note that every boot Nice Collective has ever made (as far as I can remember them) could not look more coherent with Drkshdw. My W+H thermals are suspiciously Rick-like in cut as well, and fit in fine with that stuff. Actually before 2008, W+H was a lot darker than it then became in its shift towards more explicitly "vintage" stuff. Almost anything from FW07 would be fine in a SZ closet.

coldforge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Mr. Male Camel Toe?

MSiTGl.jpg

I guess I feel pretty good that you took the time to look through my past posts and that was the most withering attack you came up with.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not an attack at all, just busting ya balls a bit. Your fits are very well put together
worship.gif

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldforge

Originally Posted by shibbel
Not an attack at all, just busting ya balls a bit. Your fits are very well put together
worship.gif

don't get why you're backing down; if they guy thinks he's some god compared to everyone else here then he deserves to get massive backlash because he's nothing special compared to his "contemporaries"

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you seem to be care too much about this? I enjoyed parts of the discussion and maybe I'm biased but I can't see why you would pass judgement on other people wearing just one designer, or several for that matter. Not that we dress for anyone else (right??) but this is not even about whether it looks good or not, just the brand list. I mean I certainly wouldn't rag on anyone mixing brands (which I do myself sometimes) but I can't see how it's in any way inherently "worse" to wear the same designer all the time (which I also do, to some extent) instead of mixing it up. Wear what you're comfortable with and what looks good to you. I dunno, maybe it's just me not caring if some stranger doesn't think i'm "creative" or "stylish" for wearing some brand head-to-toe.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo Asobu, I wanna find yohji pants in charcoal grey to wear all s/s, halp?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif

Two packages arrived this morning, one containing an Over-dyed EG Engineers Jacket in an XL which should have been about right for my 43 chest but was way too big in the body, with sleeves that half covered my hands
musicboohoo[1].gif

The second contained two Paul Smith garments, both in a large which is normally just right on me. The waistcoat extended past my shoulders and fitted more like an XL-XXL and the shirt was heavily waisted to the point that you could tell what I'd had for lunch
musicboohoo[1].gif

Off to the Post Office on Monday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads