• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rainzack

Have no experience with this kind of shoes, should i polish the shoes with shoes polish? wax? Or simply brush them after wearing?

I think you should simply brush them after wearing. That way it remains original than to polish it, it might destroy it somehow.

Reaction score
Hello to all, I ma new here and this is my first post. And I would like to ask if anybody knows a nice brand of suit to recommend to me as I am looking forward to buying a new suit for an occasion soon.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by didaskalia
Anyone ever heard of Rockys Custom Clothes?
eh.gif
http://www.rockyscustomclothes.com/ if so...are they good?

I have heard of them but I don't know if they are good. Edit*posted twice not know if will be considered a spam. Can' delete

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Do a search here on "construction" in the thread title and you'll find lots of threads on jacket and trouser construction and what comprises quality. It's a rare occurrence, but there's a good thread on jacket construction at AAAC that can be accessed here.

Thanks but, I'll be honest, even after reading that thread I don't think I could tell the difference in a finished suit if it was handed to me. Any advice?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Thanks but, I'll be honest, even after reading that thread I don't think I could tell the difference in a finished suit if it was handed to me. Any advice?

The simple short cut is to pick brands that make quality suits.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Designers are ******* assholes.

Vanity sizing hurts people. Real people.

A size small should not fit like a goddamned tent.

It would not kill stores to actually stock small sizes.

There are people out there who still have 14.5 necks.

There are actually people who wear shoe sizes above a 2 and below an 8.

ect... If you're a smaller guy, you know the drill.

Yes you are so right about that.

The point is that most of the time they (designers) think that every has the body of their ******* models.

Hell no, there just don't care about us or just don't get it.
ffffuuuu.gif

bemow

Reaction score
hi guys! need an advice. i've bought a suit on ebay, and i'm not sure if it fits me right. some of my concerns are: -length and fit of pants(seems to be lil bit short and too tight? ) -does the jacket fit in waist any other? BTW what do you think about this suit/shoes combination? photos suit is unpressed BTW

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bemow
hi guys!
need an advice.
i've bought a suit on ebay, and i'm not sure if it fits me right.
some of my concerns are:
-length and fit of pants(seems to be lil bit short and too tight? )
-does the jacket fit in waist
any other?
BTW what do you think about this suit/shoes combination?
photos
suit is unpressed BTW

I am not an expert at spotting fit errors from photographs, but it looks to me that you need to have the seat let out on the pants, and that's it. Apart from that, it looks good.

Clynt

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to all this stuff and I was advised by SW&D to ask here. I bought these AEs off of ebay and I'm trying to figure out which model this is: Link Also since this is my first pair of leather shoes worth taking care of, I had a question. On the AE website their shoe polish does not come in burgundy. I did some searching and read contradicting advice on using brown polish on burgundy shoes. I also read that black polish can make them look good. Any ideas what I should get? Thanks a lot.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clynt
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to all this stuff and I was advised by SW&D to ask here. I bought these AEs off of ebay and I'm trying to figure out which model this is:

Link

Also since this is my first pair of leather shoes worth taking care of, I had a question. On the AE website their shoe polish does not come in burgundy. I did some searching and read contradicting advice on using brown polish on burgundy shoes. I also read that black polish can make them look good. Any ideas what I should get? Thanks a lot.

Just get a cordovan/burgundy shoe polish from Kiwi or another brand. It doesn't have to be AE polish.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion

The pinch test will tell you whether the jacket is canvassed or not.

Originally Posted by Nicola
The simple short cut is to pick brands that make quality suits.

This is not bad advice. Fabric quality and other aspects of construction quality are things that you really have to experience to recognize. If you don't have the experience, it's not a bad idea to look for labels that are known to produce quality goods.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just get a cordovan/burgundy shoe polish from Kiwi or another brand. It doesn't have to be AE polish.

Yes! I have both colours. I found that the cordovan polish is almost black so will keep your shade dark. I recently switched to kiwi oxblood as I'm hoping that might bring up a more reddish hue. Number 8 cordovan is a colour much loved by SF but in some pics it looks almost black and I'm going for a lighter shade.

Clynt

Reaction score

Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Yes! I have both colours. I found that the cordovan polish is almost black so will keep your shade dark. I recently switched to kiwi oxblood as I'm hoping that might bring up a more reddish hue. Number 8 cordovan is a colour much loved by SF but in some pics it looks almost black and I'm going for a lighter shade.

Thanks. If anyone has any ideas what model AEs those are let me know!

Stewie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rainzack
Just got a pair of Grenson Stanley from a friend yesterday. Plan to wear them with jeans. The material of the shoes are said to be Calf-Waxy on Grenson's website.

http://www.grenson.co.uk/shop/stanley-301

Have no experience with this kind of shoes, should i polish the shoes with shoes polish? wax? Or simply brush them after wearing?

There is specific wax products for waxed leather. Or Mink Oil will work. I have used both with good results. As for brushing them...maybe a soft brush would be ok, but anything too rough will show up on the surface of the shoes.

D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads